Nasty cape! Questions...

Submitted by Drew on 11/21/04 at 11:06 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.202

Yesterday I prepped the nastiest elk cape I have ever seen. Even when I worked for a couple different taxidermists as their prep guy I had never had a cape like this.

I knew it had a wound behind the ear on the neck when the guy brought it to me. I told him there could be some slipping in that area. Well, when I started prepping it, I found another big [expletive deleted] growth under the lip next to the nose. It was about the size of a large cherry tomato. I was able to remove it in one piece.

Then i found another hole next to it's left ear that was full of puss.

Not to mention the larger hole next to the other ear that I knew about. I was about a 2.5" gash that was full of puss too. I cut around the sore and got salt on it right away.

I also found probably 6 other larger scars all along the neck and body that had healed. One was a gash about 8" long.

What are the odds of it having any hair along the infected sores when it comes back from the tannery? It would be a shame to have to get another cape since this one is 32".

That cape gave me nightmares.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Did you order pizza with anchovies?

This response submitted by George on 11/21/04 at 11:40 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.136

I get one or two every year like this. I hate the "mayonnaise" ones, but the "Dijon mustard" ones are even worse. Then there's the "guacamole dip" ones that sort of splurt out on you that make the use of an apron and rubber gloves so much more appealing.

Why wouldn't the hide be OK, however. This is not epidermal spoilage. It's a physical problem the live deer had and he didn't lose hair over it. Neither should your processing as long as you didn't puke on the hide yourself. Just another of the joys in taxidermy.

ive seen these

This response submitted by Bill on 11/21/04 at 11:44 AM. ( dish2ndnat@aol.com ) 198.81.26.47

infected wounds before on deer,elk and moose. most mature bulls and bucks have some kind of damage from fighting such as shredded ears,facial scars or older healed wounds. chances are good that after tanning they will be fine with normal sewing repairs. however you should be looking for rotted meat around these places that have lost their ability to hold together - that is, do the edges look like they will hold stiches? you may have to trim and make a football cut to bring them back together after tanning. its difficult to tell for sure without giving it an assessment in person. id say tan it and then do what it takes to make it work. good luck. Bill

Fix it!

This response submitted by JL on 11/21/04 at 11:48 AM. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.168

Thats just being a taxidermist....welcome aboard. JL

Ah Yes!

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/21/04 at 12:36 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.187

Makes me glad I just specialize in fish now!

Dang

This response submitted by cur on 11/21/04 at 2:07 PM. ( whatever ) 4.227.114.70

And I thought I had an exclusive on those. Sometimes infection can seep into the dermal surface layers and attack the folicles, which might cause slippage. You got some good suggestions in the above threads. You might consider dousing the area with acetone if you are concerned about slipping.

A good many bacteria species are not deterred by a saline environment, and will go right on chewing up the tissues all the way to the tannery. Applying a good bactericide to the infected regions will do more good that a shovel full of salt.

Guacamole George? And all along I thought that was mint pudding - or is it just my taste buds?

For future reference,

This response submitted by King of Rot on 11/21/04 at 2:37 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 68.238.7.39

use the Orange Search Button and enter stop rot.

Will you guys quit it?

This response submitted by Evelyn on 11/21/04 at 4:50 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.136

Cur and George you are ruining my apetite. Dijon mustard, mayonaise, guacamole dip, mint pudding? What the he.. Geo, Cur. Now I can never have another bowel of guacamole dip or pudding without thinking about this thread. Nice going guys, geeeez, really.

yuck...

This response submitted by Drew on 11/21/04 at 5:21 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.162

Thanks for the input, I think I had the yellow, and white pus, no green. It was NASTY. Some of the pus was caked in the hair near the big wound, it was all dry and crusty and smelly.

Atleast I got blessed with a nice cape today. I had to prep another elk and everything on it was perfect and he had a nice pine smell to him like a healthy elk.

I guess the rice pudding is out too?

This response submitted by George on 11/21/04 at 8:09 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.5

You know the ones. Those pale green hides with the mayonaisse on them that have the tiny fly eggs and maggots on them.

Squeamish?

This response submitted by Cur on 11/21/04 at 11:31 PM. ( whatever ) 4.253.68.228

Evelyn:

You have a weak stomach. Come on down and watch the annual bot fly maggot races.

Me and a weak stomach?

This response submitted by Evelyn (Superpig) on 11/22/04 at 4:51 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.136

Now that is funny.LMAO. You haven't seen me eat a bowl of rice while watching the maggots go at a deerskull in the millions. Bon apetite.

Not much can ruin my apetite, I was just giving Geo and Cur a hard time.LOL

Fix it is right

This response submitted by Alex on 11/22/04 at 9:38 PM. ( ) 66.32.151.154

You should see the crap I fixed on Elks and red stags, if you can't fix it, you then call yourself TAXIMIERDIST, which in latin means one who drives S**t. LOL

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu