Tannery ? Warning!

Submitted by Alex on 11/21/04 at 4:35 PM. ( Advancetaxidermyall@hotmail.com ) 66.32.151.154

You guys know I've being in the Business aver 40 years now, For at least 20 I have used the same tannery, advantage Fur of Houston Texas.
Since they started in Kerville texas, but something has gone wrong with that operation, I have had over the past few years a few skins that had problems such as too thing on the sides of the back incision, I solved that by sewing a thing strip of deer leather on each side that way the thread would not pull and jank off and ripped the skin, that was the signal that someone over there is trigger happy with the flesher. I complaint about it by letter and receive no call to apologize or try to sastify my complaint, then latest we shipped 3 red deers and 3 exotic sheeps and axis deers and fallows, then I got a call saying the hides were thin by me to thin, I said no such thing has ever being done here, we don't shave the skins to send them to the tannery.

Well the guy there gave me this BS we being in business so many years bla bla, I said I know the company has being in business so many years but I have my doubts about you, because you should know we don't thin the skins here, we flesh them wash them and salt them and hang to dry and that is it, if they are full of holes is because you guys made them, I happened to have fleshed those my self and there were no holes or cuts in them

Well when I got them it was worse than I anticipated, holes on the red stag bigger than your fist, in the neck areas and very hard even to find skin to patch, the hair on the backs rubbed off by the sander or flesher, just a total loss to me.

Again No apologies ,no offer to restitute anything, that is why I've decided to post it here.
So the rest of you know when there is someone out there screwing with your mode of living.

Alex Perez
Advancetaxideermyall@hotmail.com

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Ditto

This response submitted by Bob Mead on 11/21/04 at 6:26 PM. ( meadtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 216.31.72.151

I stopped using AFD about four years ago for exactly the same reasons: cut off noses, blown out ears, poor thinning and ZERO satisfaction when I brought up THEIR problems to them. South Texas Fur in Victoria, TX does a much better job.

Bob Mead

Thanks Bob

This response submitted by Alex on 11/21/04 at 7:31 PM. ( ) 66.32.151.154

I have several boxes packed ,I'll give them a try.

Alex

This response submitted by Jim Stagliano on 11/21/04 at 9:20 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

Try giving Carolina Fur Dressing chance. Rick Morgan and crew do a great job. Over the past years whenever I had a problem or concern it was taken care of right away and very professionally. There tan is awesome!

Ditto Ditto

This response submitted by BarryB on 11/21/04 at 9:20 PM. ( ) 64.72.53.154

Yep their work got extremely bad. I had holes cut in my skins they said I did when fleshing. Those holes were done when they shaved them. No satisfaction and continual trashy work lead me away from them. Quality Fur Dressers in Spring does my work now

WildThings

Not having any problems

This response submitted by Evelyn on 11/21/04 at 9:26 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

I have not have any problems with Advantage Fur Dressing. Have been using them for 9 years now and only had one cape cut up which they made good on. Even though I had to get my own replacement cape, they refunded the tanning cost, tanned the second cape for free and even brushed it out for me for free as well (it was a rambouillet). Plus they paid for the shipping.

Since then I have had absolutely no problems with capes being cut, hair being lost etc. I am sorry to hear about your troubles Alex and I don't know why they wouldn't make good on your capes. Just doesn't sound like them. I'll stick with Advantage. Hope you'll find a tannery you are happy with as well.

Evelyn

This response submitted by Alex on 11/21/04 at 10:47 PM. ( ) 66.32.151.154

They must like you a lot ,because they have always refused my Rambolettes alltogether.

Yes I know Carolina does a pretty good Job, but I don't know why stopped sending them work many years ago.

I have heard good things about Texas fur dressers i will give them a shot. They are closer to me than N>Carolina it is cheaper shipment to texas from Florida, got to save on that, I ship 500 skins a year or so.

oh wow

This response submitted by lisa stanley on 11/21/04 at 11:07 PM. ( messiah6@aol.com ) 66.69.161.37

I've been thinking about starting to use a tannery and was all worried about shipping and who to use, then someone above mentioned a tannery in Spring, Tx. I looked it up and it's only 12 miles from my apartment..lol. Guess I'll look into them ;)

Lisa Stanley

It is always good

This response submitted by Evelyn on 11/22/04 at 9:22 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

to find a good tannery close to home. I hope South TX Fur will work out for you Alex. Best wishes.

SP

STFD is great

This response submitted by Leslie on 11/22/04 at 8:03 PM. ( ) 70.179.150.42

I love their tan and they are all I use. They are sitting at about 6 months right now though.....

Try Oregon tannery

This response submitted by Josh Wedmore on 11/22/04 at 11:53 PM. ( Jwedmore@aol.com ) 152.163.100.134

Hey My name is Josh Wedmore owner of the oregon tannery. Seen the unhappy comments about other tanning facilitys. At the oregon tannery we are also taxidermist and know what you want out of your hides or capes. If anyone is looking too try someone else give us a call at 541-729-0872 email Jwedmore@aol.com. Call to have hair on, hair off tanning list sent to you.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu