best way to turn ears on a white tail

Submitted by lee jeans on 11/16/04 at 12:30 AM. ( leejeans@sbcglobal.net ) 64.217.17.35

there are several ways to turn ears on a white tail, what would be the best way to turn the ears or do i just leave the cartlidge in or completely turn them and whats the best and fastest way to get a good looking set of ears on my mount please help me out Thanks Lee

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Lee

This response submitted by Jack F on 11/16/04 at 6:12 AM. ( ) 24.97.78.149

I guess I am bored so I will try this one. The best way to turn the ears on a deer. First you take a knife to get them started. Second you take one of those ear opener tools and work that in there and open them up with that. Then turn the ear inside out. Then when you think they are turned to the very edges you go about another half inch all the way around the ear. You should now have a turned ear. Then you should tan your cape or DP it which ever you prefer. Its totally up to you if you leave the cartilege in or remove it. I prefer to remove it and use plastic ear liners. Have fun oh yeah read the ARCHIVES more use the SEARCH button to get there.

More then one way

This response submitted by Evelyn on 11/16/04 at 8:41 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.135

Lee, the best way to turn ears is the way that works best for you. Jack gave you a good way of doing it. Others prefer to turn an ear by hand, butterknife, water injection etc etc. You will have to find out which way works best for you by trying several different ways. Plus each deerear is different. Some are very hard to split (like on older bucks) and others bust out as soon as you insert the earsplitters (usually very young deer). Each will require a slightly different technique in splitting the ears with minimal damage. It is all trial and error.

Cartiladge is another personal preference. Some leave it in(like me), others remove it(either before or after tanning. It is another personal preference which varies with the individual).

The fastest way is the way you are used to doing it all the time. You wil develop your own fast way in time.

Thanks for the data

This response submitted by lee jeans on 11/16/04 at 5:07 PM. ( leejeans@sbcglobal.net ) 68.93.137.207

Thanks guys Ive read about leaveing it in and useing bondo and fiber filler. I got the toolsto completely turn ears on 6 capes I'm beginning to tan. Im useing krowtann 2000, I was going to split them all the way B/C of the tan but leaving in the cartledge seems so much easier, I'm ganna have to just get busy thanks again all your advice is much helpfull.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu