Recent Taxidermy Today Mag

Submitted by Doug on 11/22/04 at 12:46 PM. ( ) 12.40.253.98

Is it just me or does the most recent issue of Taxidermy Today seem like a great advertisement for taxidermy manufactures? Out of the 4 or 5 lead how to articles, 2 of them were for specific products from their manufactures. One was a repo piece of wood and the other was a multi page spread for Dan Rheinhart's manikin with the preset eyes. I would say it was a good article if it had meaning and use outside of the specific manikin. But, I thought it was a less than informative way of filling pages of a mag.

It follows the trend of this mag. It's getting to the point of Taxidermy Today being 85% to 90% advertisement for products and very minimal good, educational reading.

Anyone else feel the same?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Yes

This response submitted by JOhn M on 11/22/04 at 12:59 PM. ( ) 66.190.42.199

could'nt agree more

Cancelled my subs.

This response submitted by Mike on 11/22/04 at 1:45 PM. ( ) 64.91.85.136

For the same reason. I'll stick with Breakthrough

My $.02

This response submitted by James Parrish on 11/22/04 at 1:52 PM. ( ) 68.156.52.144

I think you are correct in the fact that there is a lot of advertising in Taxidermy Today. However, the statements about the articles focusing on specific products is just how things are done. Let's look at some other examples... If you attend a seminar with Cary Cochran on Turkey Mounting, guess what turkey bodies and heads he's gonna use... How about that Turkey Mounting video with Joe Ferebee...he uses his turkey system. In Dan Rinehart's fish mounting seminars, he uses his aqua bodies and aqua eyes. No matter what the article, seminar, or video, the author/instructor is going to promote their products. Get used to it. Can you still learn from these articles, seminars, and videos? Sure you can. You have to take the info from the article/seminar and apply it to your work.

What about Breakthrough?

This response submitted by Todd B on 11/22/04 at 2:40 PM. ( ) 4.225.18.174

Don't get me wrong it is awesome and I love the magazine. But when I opened it up and saw an article on rugs, I thought GREAT! an article to tell me how to do a rug. Well it was just an advertisement to choose them as your wholesale rugger. It did not tell you or I how to do one. So although they are not as bad as Taxidermy Today they practice some of the same techniques.

Great points My $.02

This response submitted by Doug on 11/22/04 at 3:01 PM. ( ) 12.40.253.98

You are correct with the promotion of turkey forms, fish forms, eyes, etc. But my point is with Dan in this specific article is that his technique is specific to his form with very minimal value outside of his form. With Dan, he takes great advantage of his relationships with this type of mag to self promote. You have to hand it to the guy, he does a great job of utilizing a paid subscription to freely advertise and promote his products.

As for the other similar instructional articles, at least the techniques will work and will apply to product other than the specific form or item. You can always use someone elses form or eye and apply the same technique.

I guess my complaint is with the majority of the mag presenting advertisments and self promoting articles. Let get more "how to" in the pages and less ad. Instead of spreading a series like the antler repo article over 6 months, put it in one mag. Give us the info on things like that in one instead of another DR article for Aqua stuff.

I guess I am tired of paying for a mag and having an industry expert consume the pages on self promotion and the balance of the mag being page after page of ads that repeat month to month.

I cancelled my subscription too

This response submitted by Evelyn on 11/22/04 at 4:56 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

same reason, too much advertisement and no really good educational articles. For that kind of money I'll stick with Breakthrough.

Hmm.. this is good market feedback

This response submitted by Taxidermy Today Advertisers on 11/22/04 at 5:38 PM. ( Going to Breakthrough ) 12.2.142.7

Better get my ad updated...

Every trade journal is that way.

This response submitted by John C on 11/22/04 at 6:31 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

every trade journal is that way.

Look at TV shows, Overhauled, Foose is there and his wheels go on every car advertsing his shop.

So how else would you pose to learn about someones mannikins?

Have you local paper editor do the colum?

Look thru Horse journals, who's articles do you see? John Lyons, Pat Parreli, what do they do, they train the trainers and SELL THEIR PRODUCTS.

JEGS Sells a lot of car parts, they have several race cars, can do do an article on why and how their billet Piston Rods are better?

Photography Journals are the same way. The people writing are getting frreeeeeebies from the companies for doing the article on the equipment.

Here pay me to do all your advertising for you. WHo can sell your work best, me or you?

How about those computer mags?

At least

This response submitted by kinstelspec on 11/22/04 at 7:25 PM. ( ) 209.195.138.48

Taxidermy Today didn't waste 12 PAGES of the magazine on a repeat of these forums. Quite frankly that is a much bigger waste of space in a MAGAZINE than an article on how to use a deer form with the eyes built in. It seems that old Larry has tried to make his job easier----hey, instead of having articles about taxidermy proceedures I'll just reprint some info from taxi. net forums!
Honestly---if you seriously been into to taxidermy for any length of time neither of these mags offer much in the way of " cutting edge" info. Both of the mags come to my house cause my wife likes the pictures hehehehe.

Taxidermist

This response submitted by T.Hunter on 11/22/04 at 9:49 PM. ( ) 198.81.26.47

Seems to me most of us would try to promote our own bussiness,would you want to listen to a so called pro who could not sell his own work ?

Sounds more like a grudge....

This response submitted by Henry on 11/23/04 at 3:04 PM. ( hapalee@infoave.net ) 204.116.40.69

....with Dan Rinehart than with Taxidermy Today!
...with Dan Rinehart.
Where will the supply companies, tanneries, etc. advertise if not in a "taxidermy trade journal"? Makes no sense to advertise in their local newspaper!
If I was thinking about buying a Dan Rinehart form and the eyes to go with it, I'm very thankful that Taxidermy Today is using their pages to tell me all about it. Now I am a more knowledgeable consumer!
Compare the advertisers in BOTH magazines....I bet you come up with the same ones in each, so how can it be said that one magazine has more advertisers than the other?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu