DP

Submitted by terry on 11/22/04 at 11:52 PM. ( ) 208.135.164.103

I'm sure it will affect you in some way, but I was wondering if anyone knows if this stuff could hurt you or has hurt anyone after being exposed to it for some time. Such as breathing it in during use.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

terry

This response submitted by George on 11/23/04 at 12:04 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.134

We discussed this issue extensively a few years back. Almost ANYTHING can be hazardous to your health. Drink a gallon of water and you'll likely die as it washes all the saline from your system eliminating electrolytes and stopping your heart. Breath in someone else's cigarette smoke and develop emphysema, cancer, or asthma. Inhale talc, fiberglass dust, asbestos, SAME THING. DP is a dehydrating or drying agent and can cause dermatitis or eczema. So can lacquer thinner, actone, or MEK. "Safety slovents and safety acids can do you significant harm. So wear rubber gloves and a dust mask when you use DP (also use them when you skin a duck as those feathers can do just as much damage as any DP.)

its like this

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/23/04 at 12:07 AM. ( ) 67.138.15.14

Sawdust and flour dont sound toxic, do they? Nope. But its very unsafe to inhale. Anything that goes IN and doesnt come OUT, due to filtration and absorbtion, isnt good. I dont think casual contact with DP is really unsafe, although, you know I cant answer a DP post without saying the obvious...I dont think DP is safe...for mammal mounts! hahaha, I couldnt resist! Yes, I use it on birds too...

For those of you who don't know flour can be a

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/23/04 at 5:46 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.246

component in bomb making. The dust from grain mills have made some incredible explosions.

DP

This response submitted by Craig on 11/23/04 at 6:37 PM. ( wyrickstaxidermy@earthlink.net ) 65.41.34.171

Ive been told that if you use DP,make sure you wash your hands very good before using the bathroom because it will give you a rash where you dont want one.

Well

This response submitted by cur on 11/23/04 at 6:42 PM. ( whatever ) 4.227.11.40

First of all Cecil, flour is a pre-igniter or expander that works very well if you have less dynamite than needed to blow up that outhouse. First you blow a bag of flour with half a stick, and then pop a charge into that dust cloud....BOOM! No outhouse, no house, no barn, maybe. Flour is a lot of stored energy. You can eat it, and turn it into sugars which fuel the body, or you can create the right conditions with a dust cloud that allows those billions of particles to ignite and blow up things like silos and warehouses.

Now where DP is concerned, I dropped a big sack on my toe once and it did a lot of damage. Hell yes, it is dangerous if you breathe the dust, but so is powdered sugar, cow farts and talcum powder if you snort enough of it. Personally, I think it should be packaged in little envelopes and sold on the street to druggies. It'd wipe em out a whole lot quicker than cocaine.

Oh, did I say, "Read the Label"?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu