Death Toll Rises to 6

Submitted by David Patton on 11/23/04 at 9:50 AM. ( ) 12.76.238.182

I heard on the news early this morning that a sixth hunter has died from gunshot wounds that he received when the Wisconsin tragedy took place.

This story made news around the world. It was on the Google news wire in Africa and Australia just to name a couple places. The people who were gunned down by this maniac were not even armed. Is this a new form of terrorism? I for one am packing for my self defense anywhere the law allows it, and have been for some time now.

There is no way I am going in the woods to get a deer hunter (can this guy even be called a hunter?) out of my stand without a rifle or pistol by my side.

Our prayers go out to the families and their loved ones.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Can't believe they called this guy a hunter either

This response submitted by steve on 11/23/04 at 10:04 AM. ( yes ) 206.74.30.215

I can't believe it either and of course he is reported to be an avid hunter and all this and yet his weapon of choice is the evre popular SKS with a 20 round clip. Just more ammo for the gun control people. The sad thing this same guy pulled a gun on his wife a couple years ago and threatend to kill her and she decide not to press charges. Just more ammo for the lobbyist to use to get their way. Prayers go out to all the family members affected though. Its a tragedy on both sides.

here

This response submitted by jim on 11/23/04 at 10:27 AM. ( ) 63.227.249.26

in Wyoming I usually hunt with a bow and no gun and there a alot of grizzlies around but few hunters where I go. I am now more glad of that. A few years ago in the Bighorn Mtns a hunter shot three or four "friends" dead in thier tent over a hunting spot and last year a hunter shot another dead near here over a dead elk. I confronted a guy last year who was driving his ATV thru the trees on wilderness land, he was wearing a pistol and scared me bad with it. You just have to be careful out there. Cell phones help, when they work in the mtns. because then all you have to do is call the law and stay back.

you know

This response submitted by wilson on 11/23/04 at 10:39 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

I didn't see anywhere that any of the people involved owned that property.
Kinda sounds like a bunch of bunny huggers.
Don't get me wrong; shooting is never the answer.

Opp's

This response submitted by wilson on 11/23/04 at 10:44 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

it was owned by them.

Robert Crotteau owned the property

This response submitted by Smiley on 11/23/04 at 10:54 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

Being from Wisconsin, and also having a cabin up north, I have heard and read alot about what happened this weekend. The way I understood it was, that Robert Crotteau (one of the men shot) owned the land. They had a cabin they were staying in, and for a number of years, friends and family would go up hunting there. To me, it wouldn't matter if it wasn't "private property" or not, he had absolutely NO excuse for what he did. I wish one of the victims would have been able to get a shot at him, because this phyco is still alive, Wisconsin tax payers will spend all kinds of money to keep his stupid a** in jail. Prayers go out to the families.

No excuse for a POACHER REGARDLESS of RACE,CREED, COLOR or R

This response submitted by John C on 11/23/04 at 11:11 AM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

No EXCUSE, it was not an accident.

Takes the Cake !

This response submitted by Loop on 11/23/04 at 12:56 PM. ( loopsbu2003@hotmail.com ) 208.155.29.150

Ive seen many examples of how Deer Hunting time tends to bring out the Jerk in people, ( kinda like election time ). Ive seen teeth smashed out, heads opened up, friendships broken, even family members ending up on non speaking terms. All over a " Goofy Deer " !
This one takes the cake though, never thought Id turn on the news and hear about a cold blooded Murder connected with deer hunting time.
What next ?
Doing alot of Praying:
Loop

i would

This response submitted by michael sestak on 11/23/04 at 4:18 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

like to know if the SKS is a legal hunting firearm in that state and even if it is, you wont hear about it in the press.(why would it be legal anyway).
as sad as this is, the press is going to try and turn it inward on innocent people and scream for more gun control.

If you read the latest...

This response submitted by marty on 11/23/04 at 4:43 PM. ( ) 24.15.104.42

...the shooter is saying that one of the hunters shot at the ground near him as he was walking away (the one and only gun amongst them - pretty stupid) , along with a bunch of racial slurs.

This story in my mind sounds more probable than what the group is saying. (This guy getting down from the stand, walking away and turning and firing upon the innocent bunch).

Not to justify what this guy did - because he obviously went a bit ballistic. But I have a feeling the group involved isn't quite as innocent as they sound.

Also, the "didn't know I was on private land" excuse was probably a lie. BUT, it IS possible. There is supposedly a significant chunk of land around there that is public. There's also a lot of private land in Wisconsin that is accessible to the public. The forrestry program for one I know is such a deal. It'll be interesting to hear the whole story and to see the outcome of this one...

Get ready

This response submitted by jim on 11/23/04 at 5:35 PM. ( ) 63.227.249.26

some slick TV lawyer and the ACLU will get involved and try and prove this guy is the real victim. Also remember it is the guns fault and of course hunting in general.

Could be Marty but then again

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/23/04 at 5:45 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.246

he may have went into a rage and what he says is not true. Only those that were there know, and it may be that a trial will bring that out if there is a variation. Another long drawn out courtcase to numb our minds!

7.62x39mm

This response submitted by Drew on 11/24/04 at 12:09 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.205

The SKS is no different than a Browning BAR in the fact that it is a semi-auto. I am sure the state has regs limiting mag capacity though. And the 7.62x39mm is also offered in another semi-auto version from Ruger, model Mini-30. I have already heard all the democrats at work complaining about the death from another assualt rifle! I told them the SKS was not even covered under the Klinton bill, but they replied "it should have been." I guess they forgot about the whack-job that was pulling the trigger.

okay

This response submitted by michael sestak on 11/24/04 at 6:05 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

so i guess it is legal to hunt with a semi-auto rifle in wisconsin.
good enough, but you probably wont hear the press admit it. all they want to mention is the "assualt weapon" not the bozo using it.
every weapon in the world is safe, until someone picks it up.

No problems here if it's legal

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/24/04 at 6:50 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.245

But I think if you need a 20 round capacity to deer hunt you need to stay home and watch deer hunting on T.V. LOL

No round limit in Wisconsin? I'm sure you have a limit when waterfowl hunting right?

Round limit

This response submitted by OJ on 11/24/04 at 9:47 AM. ( ) 64.108.146.33

Fed regs- 3 in the gun for migratory birds ---period, nation wide.

Fed law- you can not purchase above a ten round clip(new). But......... Clips made before the law was passed are legit. I believe 15 round clips were commmon in the SKS. Wi does not limit the # of rounds in your clip. For most it isnt an issue. In areas where rifles are legal- the 3-4 round bolt action is the norm.

My sister and her hubby used to carry these hunks of junk. I insisted they carry real rifles if they wish to hunt on our property. Heck, they werent THAT effective at killing people. We always called em "monkey guns" cuz they reminded me of the guns that were used in the original Planet of the Apes movie. They are cheap hunks of junk and I usually see em carried by slobs.

Thanks OJ

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/24/04 at 5:16 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.224

For giving me the scoop with out getting pissed off.

OJ

This response submitted by Drew on 11/24/04 at 11:16 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.198

OJ, since the Klinton bill sunset, there is no such thing as preban clips/mags. So you can once again buy high capacity mags that didn't have to be made before 1994 and marked up 200%.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu