Dumb Customers

Submitted by Dan on 11/23/04 at 7:39 PM. ( meat@madbbs.com ) 12.39.94.28

I,m a hobby taxidermist and own a slaughter house and we proccess deer. I've read a few things on here that your cutomers ask you and thought they were pretty funny, and thought I'd share a couple from our deer customers that happened today.

One guy informed us that he usually cuts his own deer but recently hurt his back and can't proccess them himself. He wondered if we offer a discount to people that usually proccess their own deer.

Later that day a guy brought in two deer and said he was shooting at one deer and killed both with one shot and wondered if he would get a discount on the second deer.

Needless to say we didn't give either a discount but later tod my brother we should have give them a dollar off for originality.

Love this forum
Dan

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

How About Dumb Taxidermist

This response submitted by Asher on 11/23/04 at 7:50 PM. ( ) 68.116.62.142

A few weeks ago RJ Simington had posted customers that continually come into his shop and ask "did you mount that?" ... Well today I (being a taxidermist) went to RJ's and the first question out of my mouth was "did you mount that?" At that moment all i could hear was "HEEEERE's YOUR SIGN" ... RJ politely reminded me of the post he had made! LMAO!

I had a customer once bring in a deer

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/23/04 at 8:27 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.246

that had been cut off at the neck. He asked me if he could get a shoulder mount out of it. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I responded, "Well do you see a shoulder there?" He repled, "well no." I said there's your answer. Of course I indicated I could use anothe cape but that is not what he asked.

I've had some ask if the eyes are the "REAL" eyes.

Cecil.......

This response submitted by Jack M. on 11/23/04 at 9:44 PM. ( slugger332002@yahoo.com ) 216.81.99.56

I got tickled at the post about a customer wanting a shoulder mount after cutting it off at the neck. Several years ago the exact same thing happened to me. I informed him the same way, and offered to help find a suitable cape. He said he would just kill another. A couple of days later he came by and dropped off another one while I was in the shower. My wife took it. When I got to where I could look at it about fifteen minutes later, he was gone. I unwrapped it and to my surprise this guy had cut the head off, and left the neck , shoulders,and remainder of the hide. I called him up and asked why he cut the head off. He thought I didn't need it since I had the head and part of the neck on the first deer! He thought I was going to sew that thing back together! Two different sized capes. If you ever get this one for a customer one day is is now well informed. Cheers, Jack.

I JUST got one of those in

This response submitted by George on 11/23/04 at 10:33 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.134

Grandpa is teaching his grandson to deer hunt. Jr. kills a nice 8 pointer, now grandpa decides to teach him proper field care and butchering. He cuts the shoulder off with a chain saw and brings 40 pounds of meat into my shop for a shoulder mount. Needless to say, we had a LONG conversation of letting professionals do their job.

Jack, George and others

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/23/04 at 11:07 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.246

I'm sure we could fill a book with these, but Jack your's takes the cake. You have to admit there was some logic though. LOL

I heard Jim Pitts tell us at an IGT seminar about a customer that brought a bag of peacock feathers in for a peacock mount. He thought that's how birds are mounted!

I had one potential customer contact me and ask me when I can get him in. He thought he just had to wait until I'm caught up! LMAO

Last Year

This response submitted by M.T. on 11/23/04 at 11:16 PM. ( ) 207.72.44.100

I had a guy bring in a VERY LARGE whitetail that had gotten hit by a car. This happened just a few minutes before he passed the scene. He seen how big this buck was so he stopped and went down into the ditch and cut the head off with a jack knife and a small hatchet. This buck has a 24 inch neck, one of the largest Michigan Whitetails I had ever seen. He brought me the head and wanted a shoulder mount. Now I have mounted another deerhead for this guy at one time so I DOGGED him really bad. I laughed at him to make him feel like an IDIOT! He felt so bad that he went back to the carcass and cut off another 8 inches of cape all the way around the Deer. What an IDIOT! He then brought that piece over and I even laughed harder. He wanted me to sew them together. When he figured out that the two pieces together still was far from enough skin for a shoulder mount, he almost started crying. Nine months later, he finally found a taxidermist with a cape large enough for sale and he bought it. The Dip$#!t had to pay 150 bucks for the cape. What a lesson he learned, hopefully!

George

This response submitted by cur on 11/23/04 at 11:34 PM. ( whatever ) 4.227.11.40

You are the only guy I know that would complain about forty pounds of stew meat.

And........

This response submitted by Leanna on 11/23/04 at 11:47 PM. ( scardeer@frontiernet.net ) 170.215.0.13

A chainsaw is an issue WHY George? Hello...geeese.

Love you man. ;)

I had a Hunter

This response submitted by FishFall on 11/23/04 at 11:52 PM. ( ) 66.191.59.60

stop in my shop and said that his hunting party always shoots big bucks and if we would be interested in buying their capes, I said sure and explained to him how to cape them properly, no problem he said my buddy always cut up the deer. About a week goes by and this hunter stops back in and he has 9 capes with him all big bucks. I could not believe it they were all caped out real nice, nice length behind the shoulders and the hair was nice and clean. He says what do ya think I said they look great but why did you cut the heads off! Each cape had the heads cut off, there were shoulders and nice necks but no heads. His only comment was I didn't think you needed the heads, needless to say I did not buy them.

I better weigh in

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/24/04 at 1:38 AM. ( ) 66.133.133.43

I have had so many head shakers that I dont recall, but heres one that you can laugh at ME as well. I had a guy call me about a huge cape, he knew I look for extras. We went into great detail on how to cut, cape, detach, where not to cut, you name it. Well doesnt he show up with this beautiful cape, legs cut nice, full brisket, good shoulder length, everything...with the top of the head notched out to remove the anters. Of course I was dissappointed and asked why, after all I went through with him, would he notch out the antlers. He said, well, he didnt think of that. My reply?

Now, anyone who knows me knows I shine a bit up top. OK Im real shiny, and in back too. I just pointed to the top of my head and said, "Do you think that if I COULD replace the hair on the top of that deer that I would look like THIS?"

Not taxidermy, but a good hunting story for you fish guys

This response submitted by jimmy on 11/24/04 at 2:42 AM. ( ) 68.103.148.172

My good friend 'Bob' is a serious steelhead bank fisherman in Oregon. His Brother-in-law(from Seattle), who had zero outdoor experience, always asked Bob about fishing. Bob thought he might be interested in going steelhead fishing, so he asked him along one day when he was in town visiting. Well, the Brother-in-law took to fishing and got hooked. <p>
Enter next deer season: Bob, on a whim, asks the B.I.L if he wanted to go along deer hunting, so the B.I.L signs up for a weekend of watching Bob try to bowhunt Blacktails. Bob sends the B.I.L up a ridge to drive some deer down hill while Bob hopes to intercept one on a trail at the bottom of a draw. The B.I.L, who only had steelhead fishing experience, did not get 50 yards when he runs down to Bob and pants the following statement, "Bob, right up this trail are some deer, a buck and a hen."

Ha Ha Ha!

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/24/04 at 8:18 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.245

Now that's funny Jim!

Bill's was pretty good too!

How about

This response submitted by Alex on 11/24/04 at 4:50 PM. ( ) 66.32.148.138

the Guy that called me crying on the phone , his pet wolf died and if I could mount it for him I said yes and gave him a price, later he called me from the cemetery crying because there was nothing but bones in the burrial box, he had burried it 6 months before.

What is wrong with these people? LOL

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu