NTA National Champion ?

Submitted by Terry Grossman on 11/26/04 at 9:37 AM. ( ) 207.241.132.232

I was just looking through another great issue of Breakthrough and saw two very nice deer heads but both were shown as National Champion Whitetail, How can that be ? I thought maybe one was a pedistal mount but it shows another winner for that catagory. Anyway what a great magizine, I only wish it came out each month.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Co-Champions this year

This response submitted by George on 11/26/04 at 1:12 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.135

I'm going to explain this as well as I recall, but as most of you know, we have the Awards Banquet within hours of the scoresheets being placed and ribbons assigned. Quick tabulations, computer glitches, normal SNAFU, whatever, the awards were laid out and a National Champion was awarded based on score. After the ceremony was complete,another taxidermist with an equally spectacular piece approached the NTA and questioned how the score given to the National Champion was either equal to or a decimal point less than his particular piece. That's when the mistake was discovered. Since we had publicly announced the National Champion, we were not about to recall that award, but the president, Mark Wilson decided that it would not be fair to allow the other individual to be omitted. SO, a duplicate award was made and presented to the other taxidermist. The concensus of all of us involved felt this was the only equitable solution available and now each can proudly display their honors without feeling upset because of an error on OUR part.

Mark is in Africa and Greg and Cindy are in Alberta. Mr. Bill Haynes, NTA VP must have missed this posting or was enjoying the turkey from yesterday too much to catch it yet.

Well Geo

This response submitted by Evelyn on 11/26/04 at 2:37 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.135

This sounds like a fair solution to a sensitive problem. Nothing wrong with having two champions. I think both mounts are absolutely beautiful and deserve this award.

Very Classy

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 11/26/04 at 3:13 PM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 64.12.116.135

on the part of the NTA. Good to know such ethics still exist! Does that mean the NTA also ate the cost of the cash prize? And BTW, good question. Peace-Jeff F.

What cash price?

This response submitted by Evelyn on 11/26/04 at 5:10 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

Jeff are you kidding? There was no cash prize this year. I went home with an empty pot. And I even rented one at POTS R US to fill with my prize money. Sad, very sad indeed. LOL

Actually

This response submitted by R,J, Meyer II on 11/26/04 at 5:22 PM. ( trophyroom ) 207.241.134.242

The mount that was the original winner turned out to be a Pedistal and not a wall mount as required, and it did not place as high as the winning Pedistal whitetai. When it was discovered that the mount was entered in the wrong catagory by the person bringing it to the show the awards were already announced. Owen Eldred had the highest scoring whitetail wall mount, its as simple as that! I hate to say this as he works at a studio 30 miles from my shop, but the truth is the truth. Speaking of the truth...... I must admit that the competition room was my sole responsibility and I take full blame for the mix up. I would have handled the question of having two national champs differently but alas it was not up to me to decide. I apoligise to Owen that he has to share a title due to mistakes made by myself and the aftermath controlled by others.

RJ, don't beat yourself up

This response submitted by George on 11/26/04 at 6:53 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

Let me do it. I enjoy it so much anyway.

Most of you can't imagine what a madhouse a competition of this size can be and when ONE PERSON is responsible for such a massive undertaking, I'm quite honestly surprised that it hasn't happened more often. RJ was that duck on top of the water paddling like hell underneath. I don't think the outcome is worthy of anyone "taking the blame". Sh1t happens. In my mind, it still came out OK.

Now let me address the CASH. There WERE some cash awards but they were greatly reduced from what has suddenly become an expected event. Unlike some organizations, the NTA isn't rich and the money that WE gave in the past was not ours. It was donated by our suppliers and our sponsors. This year, the supplier's association representative stated that the group was a little tired of the same individuals always taking all the money home. They wanted to "share their wealth" with ALL the participants, entrants, and attendees. As such, the NTA presented money and gift certificates amounting to around $20,000 away at the membership meeting and auction on Friday night. Not surprisingly, many people didn't attend that event because of feeling of apathy and "who cares about the membership meeting". (The membership meeting is quite informal and tends to have a raucous atmosphere when the auction gets going. Those who wanted to dress up, eat and imbibe often skip this for the Awards Banquet.) This change was explained at the membership meeting and those who skipped it were shocked somewhat when the "big money" didn't fall from the ceiling at the banquet. Quite simply, it just wasn't our call. We are working with suppliers trying to forge a middle ground on this issue. The Winter Board Meeting in February will undoubtedly hash that problem out.

my take

This response submitted by GB on 11/26/04 at 8:00 PM. ( gary@bruchsfish ) 67.208.2.222

Competition room errors with RJ have happened more often. It would have been nice to announce the cash giveaway to the membership-- oh well, no use crying over spilled milk. Both deer were very nice congrats to the winner"s"

Dang you Geo

This response submitted by Evelyn on 11/26/04 at 8:44 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.135

you could not have told me about this change (the cash or no cash) before I slugged my pot to the competition?

I did attend the membership meeting and my number never was called for a doorprize or anything else. I finally got a token of goodwill from YOU.

It was the same darn reference disk I brought to the show for Glen. Nice going Geo. You gave me back what I brought. ROFLMAO

Evelyn

This response submitted by George on 11/26/04 at 9:02 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.135

What did you expect for a damned LIZARD? Voyer claimed he showed you how to mount it anyway. You know him - The guy who stood us both up -TWICE.

Money

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 11/27/04 at 6:24 AM. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.155.203.52

Jee George are you talking about our STATE'S prize money? Kind of a low blow if you are.

Frank, you must have a guilty conscience

This response submitted by George on 11/27/04 at 9:15 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

I didn't even KNOW your state gave out money. Hell, I'm lucky to be able to pay the bills after my state show, so I have little concept of what others might do. I was REFERRING to what the NTA did LAST year versus what they did the year before.

Not Guilty LOL but very PROUD !

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 11/28/04 at 6:29 AM. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.141.135.150

Come on George You get the Breakthrough Mag don't you? If you miss our advertizement then your the only person I know for the pass two years you have not seen what we give away. Next to that you did say what other organizations give out not what the NTA did last year compared to this year. So what other ones give out as much?

I'm guilty Frank

This response submitted by George on 11/28/04 at 9:03 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

I have to honestly say I DIDN'T read the ad. You know I don't compete so just like my Outdoor Life and Field & Stream, I just skipped over the parts that didn't apply to me. And I only know what the NTA gave out in Columbia, MO and Louisville, KY versus Huntsville AL. You can believe that or not, but it's the truth.

I've always said that as soon as the money got into the prize fund, the fun went out. Money makes jealousy and greed too easy. I got a chuckle out of the comments made during the "Skins Game" this weekend with the pro golfers. They were playing for millions of dollars, but one analyst noted that these people could have given crap for the money as they were already multimillionaires. He said they were more interested in the trophy to add to their trophy case than whatever money they won. What a concept. I remember when being the National Champion meant more than money could ever buy. Now it it doesn't include a couple grand, I hear, "Oh big deal. A trophy won't buy me a cup of coffee." Nope, and neither will a little humility. I miss those times.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu