Just wondering

Submitted by Dan on 11/24/04 at 11:57 AM. ( ) 64.18.236.80

I keep seeing(for sale forum) coyotes for sale...$100.00, foxes...$50.00, skunks...$40.00, etc....PLUS SHIPPING! Do taxidermists really pay such outrageously high prices for those animals? The current fur market for those skins is much less than HALF of those asking prices, and trappers who get them are easy to find locally. I bought a dandy coyote last week from a local trapper for $35.00. No shipping and I can skin it the way I want it. Just wondering.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

It all depends.............

This response submitted by Jack M. on 11/24/04 at 12:46 PM. ( slugger332002@yahoo.com ) 216.81.99.35

on where you live and what you want. I live in Georgia, and the fur on the critters is no where near as thick as northern prime furs. I know cause I lived in Northern Minnesota two years. I have trapped for a living, and could trap until I was two hundred years old and never get anything close to a prime northern fur.
Since there is not much of a fur market anymore, especially for southern types, a lot of trappers sell to the live market. An adult coyote down here will bring anywhere from 75-100 dollars each live, and undamaged. For those that don't have a clue about trapping or know any trappers, and are backed up with work in their shop with little time, this is as good a way as any to get what you are wanting.

While it may seem a little high, remember this, some of these guys such as Bob Wendt, are professional trappers. If I decide to buy something from up north, I will be willing to pay a little more to someone like Bob who knows what taxidermists want, and knows fur handling procedures. Also, if I said I saw a pine marten, wolverine, or Badger down here, I wouldn,t be able to use my computer cause my arms would be in a straight jacket. Get my point? Happy Thanksgiving to all, Jack.

Why is it

This response submitted by cur on 11/24/04 at 3:39 PM. ( whatever ) 4.227.100.91

That we who constantly complain about not getting paid well for our services, don't want to see anyone else earn a buck for their efforts? I live about as far South as you can get and still be in the US. In fact, I live in an island and the mainland is around bour miles north of my rump as this is typed. "Fur" here is hair that covers, and not the deep and rich pelage of northern animals.

This old man has trapped more than his share of critters too. In fact I still trap, but mostly gators and other things needed for the museum exhibits done here in the swamp studio. When a client contract calls for a raccoon, or a coyote, it would be easy to drive a few miles to a friend's ranch and thump a yote, or trap a raccoon on my patio, but the fur sucks and my clients deserve better.

The pelts we use are purchased from known suppliers, and not someone who picked up a road kill to offer on the forums. The price paid is the price asked, without haggle. Heck, my customer is picking up the tab anyway, so I don't care what things cost, so long as the quality is good.

When I need a pelt, it isn't always when they are readily available. If it weren't or those folks who have a store of frozen hides, I would be SOL and way up a creek without a paddle. I spent several weeks this past summer trying to locate a specific pelt. By the time I located one, I would have paid any price for it. Complaining about what I did have to pay never occurred to me. Now that I've thought about it, it still doesn't matter.

Well Dan

This response submitted by Alex on 11/24/04 at 4:42 PM. ( ) 66.32.148.138

Perhaps you should consider buying cheap and selling to us, opportunity is at your door. What are you going to do about It?

Pardon me!

This response submitted by Dan on 11/24/04 at 7:27 PM. ( ) 64.18.236.217

I guess I'll just accept the fact that some guys will pay the asking price for what they want and can't get locally. Anybody out there in the desert southwest need some big midwestern nightcrawlers? $20.00/doz PLUS SHIPPING(LMA0)!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu