bumper crop of mice

Submitted by Bonnie S. on 11/24/04 at 3:48 PM. ( ) 204.119.21.5

Has anyone noticed that there is a bumper crop of rodents this year? I am having rat and mouse problems here very bad.It wasnt bad last year but now its bad.I put out Tomcat bait blocks, the big kind and they disappear from the sheds in hours.Traps of both type, sticky and spring get full daily.I even stepped on a mouse without even knowing when walking in the shed yesterday.I live smack dab in corn planting country with fields all around so I have always had to practice mouse control but its major this season.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Bad here too

This response submitted by Jeanette Hall on 11/24/04 at 4:29 PM. ( eagle93245@yahoo.com ) 63.86.173.186

I catch atleast one a day in the traps I set around the shop. Out here I'm surrounded by miles and miles of desert, so where are all the mice coming from? After I catch them and they are good and stiff I throw them in the ditch by the house. I'm acually getting a pile! My main concern with the mice is that they might chew on the stack of antlers or mess up all my salted hides by eating them. I'm thinking of investing in a good cat.

Somebody

This response submitted by Alex on 11/24/04 at 4:39 PM. ( ) 66.32.148.138

Has probably messed with nature, the normal controllers are snakes and birds of prey, One owl can down 12 mice a night, are you seen owls hawks and snakes or are they lacking in your areas ?

True

This response submitted by Jeanette Hall on 11/24/04 at 4:45 PM. ( ) 63.86.173.186

Bunny numbers are way up, so coyotes are everywhere this year. However, I only saw ONE rattlesnake and two gopher snakes this year. To me that was pretty strange to see so few snakes. I'm always out on the horse so I see a lot of nature. Not a great deal of hawks flying around either. HMMMMMM.

Could be previous weather conditions

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/24/04 at 4:56 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.224

reduced the rodent population which in turn reduced the predators. Not with fewer predators thare are more rodents. Nature has a way of balancing it over time.

Get chickens...

This response submitted by Wolfwoman on 11/24/04 at 7:27 PM. ( ) 24.237.152.133

My chickens free range and we have neigher mouse nor shrew problems here, tho I know they're in the area as other have complained. Yes, the chickens eat them and anything else they can get their beaks on! lol

Wolfie

went elk hunting

This response submitted by Ron on 11/24/04 at 8:00 PM. ( ) 205.231.189.190

this year and got over run. Couldn't even sleep at night because of the mice. They were running over my face all night. My three boys were with me and they just slept through it all but I was going nuts. Didn't sleep for three nights. I finally made a water trap and drowned 36 of those bass turds in my outfitters tent in three nights plus got one with a 410 shotgun. They finally started to believe me.

Ron

This response submitted by RC on 11/24/04 at 10:41 PM. ( ) 4.156.243.5

What is a water trap for mice and how is one made?
Thanks

RC

This response submitted by Ron on 11/25/04 at 11:37 AM. ( ) 205.231.189.166

Take a wide mouthed gallon jug and fill it about a third with water. Lean the jug at a slight angle on the floor. Make some kind of ramp so the mice can get up to the mouth of the jug. Smear some peanut butter on the inside of the jug, but just out of reach of the mice. They will try to reach it and fall into the water and drowned. It works fantastic. You can clean out the mice in no time and its cheap.

He He

This response submitted by Alex on 11/25/04 at 12:51 PM. ( ) 66.32.148.138

Ron, Peta is going to get you, don't you know mice are living creatures and they think and feel and blah blah blah,lol

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu