People who think they know everything.....

Submitted by George on 11/18/04 at 11:59 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.9

..are particularly annoying to those of us who actually do.

Recently, my buddy Bill Yox has come under attack by another friend of mine over a silly argument about "whose deer is it". Well, my opinion agreed with the other friend. (Does the Southern term, "he needed killin'" about anyone who'd take another's deer sound familiar?)

But I'd hope none of you actually think Bill nor I nor anyone else actually DO know everything. We probably know most of everything but not EVERYTHING.

A few years back, I actually let disparaging comment upset me and I actually took a hiatus from the site for about 6 months. Now before any of you dorks get all giddy over such a repeat possibility, forgeddaboutit. I ain't going nonwhere!

So I'm encouraging Bill to tell any of you who take offense at his advice to do what I do. Tell them to piss off. When somebody tell me I do this just to stoke my ego, I enjoy a good laugh. That's petty at best and idiotic at worst. How does giving opinions or advice stoke my ego? It's hardly being force fed on you and if you think it's stupid, most of you see the "anonymous" taking pot shots at me about it anyway. Laugh all you want, but do you really think you're inventing the wheel? Between 3 or 4 regulars on here, we've got over 150 years of experience and if you think YOU are the only one who's seen this taxidermy problem, you're the one on the ego trip. We TRY to prevent you from making the stupid mistakes that we've made, but some of you still insist on looking down the barrel of a loaded gun. I've long since written you off as "Natural Selection" material. And I sleep very well at night, thank you.

I figure that since Bill Yox makes money actually teach people, he could save his ego and his income by not offering a damned bit of advice to those of you who take it for granted. Those of you who want to argue with it, well, that's your loss.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Helping people is GREAT!........to a point.

This response submitted by Kim on 11/18/04 at 1:30 PM. ( ) 207.44.134.33

George,

It would seem to me that you feel a need to explain. Did someone rattle your cage? (LOL) But, I know what you mean and when everything has to be constantly repeated and told time and again, the whole "helping" someone program gets tiresome. It would seem that people should be at a level to research and find the information themselves without always saying or asking directly and receiving a shorcut to the exact information needed. Afterall, when you search and research, you learn. Funny that people don't want to do the work but want an easy way to earn a "buck."--no pun intended.

Helping the young is always encouraged and should be done.

Now, when it comes to a "taxidermist" (?) accepting animals in which they are NOT qualified to mount and they inturn ask on this forum how to do it, well, that is wrong IMHO. But then, helping people is the right thing to do as long as the people that need help are not ADDICTED to this methodology.

Kim

George

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 11/18/04 at 2:18 PM. ( NaturesTrophies,aol ) 205.188.116.135

I'm amazed that you would take the time to justify the actions of the key contributers to this Forum. People throwing out these know it all accusations clearly do not know the people who give these suggestions or the way the Forum works. And trust me people, IT WORKS. I'm light years ahead of where most would be by just hanging out for a few years and absorbing everything. I guess if some can't handle an answer thats not candy coated then they should find a forum thats not for mean people.(LOL) Thank You to all who make the Forum go round and round. Peace- Jeff F.

this forum is full of "mean" people

This response submitted by mitch on 11/18/04 at 4:45 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.135

just need the "right conditions" for them to express themselves. where are the saints?

those that come

This response submitted by jimsoverns on 11/18/04 at 6:28 PM. ( ironwolf_1@msn.com ) 65.54.98.152

to teach WILL teach,,,those that come to learn WILL learn,,,this cannot be changed...........the sad thing is that all this started over Bill Yox's opinion....( which seemed to be more of an observation ) and how could he be wrong about that? does he not have a right to an opinion? this was obviously a personal attack against Bill,,,but i think he will survive...as far as the " ALL MIGHTY YOX WAY " who wouldn't like to duplicate that...........those of us that have been visiting this site for a while know whos who...and know the value of the infomation given ,,,,those that come to learn will learn........those that come to stir the pot,to irritate, or to post in spite will also do so....but what will they have gained? so George,Bill,JOhn C, Glen, SuperPig, Tom and all the others that contribute, rest assured that those that come to learn will learn,,,we are listening,,,,,,,,those that come to make trouble,,,who gives a shiiiit,,,,,,,,just my opinion

People who think they know everything.....

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/18/04 at 7:19 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.100

You rang?

Did I miss something?

This response submitted by Evelyn (Superpig) on 11/18/04 at 7:29 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

I must have been asleep the last couple of days. What did Bill say this time?

Honey, Bill I told you, you need to attend the Pig's charm school. You'd never be in trouble again. Bring Geo with you while you're at it. LOL.

Thought I heard a foghorn...

This response submitted by Junipera on 11/18/04 at 8:51 PM. ( ) 66.66.1.216

I didn't catch the dispute either.

well...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/18/04 at 11:04 PM. ( ) 67.138.11.131

It started with the post "Who's deer is it" in the deer category. It was also referenced elsewhere, using the shaved brisket post as the source.

Look, sometimes us guys DO know the answer but instead just offer suggestions, so as NOT to look like we are leading some of you, when we do indeed know! I dont know...if I answer the posts, Im a know-it-all, if I skip some, they get emailed to me anyway. Some times its not possible to please some folks. Lets face it, some folks are just a bit "at odds" with some of us no matter what.

I know some of us regulars arent always on our best behavior, but Ive also seen and read some questions being answered with some really WRONG advice that could hurt the project you are asking about. Most days I try to sort things out, but after comments by the guy I ran into last, I feel like saying f*ck it, let them figure it all out the hard way, like George or Richard C. once had to...

Thanks for the kind words guys...and gals.

Other than "check the orange button...."

This response submitted by Ralph on 11/19/04 at 4:10 PM. ( ) 24.207.161.59

and giving "phylosophical" views on everything and bragging about how much $$ they make, have these "regulars" really helped people who ask legit. questions? Not very frequently...

hey Ralph

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/19/04 at 5:45 PM. ( ) 67.138.9.217

To see how wrong you are, check the archives. Its all there. Lots of us, lots of help, lots of years worth. I didnt see you there too much though...thanks for your help.

Ralphs a Liar

This response submitted by Mike Barrus on 11/20/04 at 8:54 PM. ( ) 68.117.49.184

You have not checked JACK if thats what you claim you found! Bill, George...God I hate you for making me say this, and Cecil and plenty other regulars have answered questions time and time again without reference to thier own talents...I have learned a ton here, applied this FREE knowledge and improved my work because of it...from Georges Ear hair replacement to Bill's WHitetail eye expressions..to Cecils vast fish knowledge not to mention many others, John C., I don't offer info yet because I feel I'm learning still..someday I'll follow these guys and help..when you find another site that has this caliber of Taxidermists willing to share hard earned trade knowledge I guess I'll go there...you won't find it though.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu