Hunting via the internet?

Submitted by Evelyn on 11/18/04 at 1:48 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.202

Ok guys and gals, I don't know whether you heard what is going on in San Antonio Texas on a big game ranch there or not? It has been getting pretty good coverage.

The owner of this big game ranch wants to make it possible for people to shoot any animal on his ranch via a remote controlled video camera (which will be mounted up in a deerblind). They have to lock on to his site and can view the game underneath the stand via a camera and then if they want to shoot they can. The ranchowner will then retrieve the animal and sent you the meat and the hides can go to a taxidermist (according to the wishes of the client).

I don't know what you all think about this, but I think this is one bad idea. Think how this is going to go over with non hunters who don't have a high regard for us hunters to begin with. Once PETA and the other animal rights group get wind of this, god help us all.

The reputation of hunter is tainted enough all ready and we are being portraid as barbaric killers of little bambi and heartless. Now this clown comes along and makes a mockery of the traditional hunting with his video game style hunting. This isn't hunting.

I feel that this will open the doors to all kind of problems. What if the shooter (I can't call this person a hunter, sorry) doen't make a good placement shot and the animal runs off wounded. What happens to the fair chase and the responsibility of the hunter to track the wounded game and put it out of its misery. What will happen to hunters ethics? How are you going to control who that person is that does the shooting. Hell he/she could be some total wacko going beserk with the gun.

Now remember, the majority of the population is non hunter. But when it comes to voting on new hunting regulations and laws, everybody gets to vote on this not just us hunters. Now if the majority of the non hunting population has a bad image of us hunters and hunting in general they are going to vote for laws and bills which will affect hunting negatively for us. This is bad news for us.

We have to do everything possible in my view to educate the general public about the good side of hunting, and this ranch owner is doing exactly the opposite. Game ranches are already scrutinized for so called canned hunts, now hunting via the computer? Not even leaving your recliner? Shoot a buck while you are on lunchbreak at the office? That is not beneficial to the hunting industry.

What do you guys think?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Bad bad bad

This response submitted by jim marsico on 11/18/04 at 2:49 PM. ( mvartistry@qwest.net ) 63.227.249.26

I think its really sick. I would refuse any job or mount shot this way. Texas should outlaw this idea at once. I think the NTA and every other hunter org. should publish stances and offical statements against this with out delay.

I don't think it's going to work...

This response submitted by marty on 11/18/04 at 3:07 PM. ( ) 24.15.104.42

Ethical issues aside, with current technology there is still going to be a slight lag from "real time".

I also believe the Texas DNR is already spinning to block this guy from going into business for many reasons, some which you have touched upon.

Are they going to be shooting a rifle? What systems are in place (safety-wise) to keep an end user from shooting a bullet up in the air (and possibly injuring or killing some other internet hunter - lol!)

Who's the market aimed at? It sounds like it's going to be VERY costly. The current crowd that pays big bucks to hunt want to do just that - HUNT. Not some internet deal.

Personally, I think this guys going to waste a lot of time and money attemtping to get this off the ground...

WE have got to fight back! Period! NO compromise.

This response submitted by KIM on 11/18/04 at 3:07 PM. ( ) 207.44.134.33

Evelyn,

I see your points. And agree with most. However, when it comes to PETA and other Psychobabble groups, WHEN is it going to be ENOUGH?
We have to bend over all of the time for these wacked people and it IS transforming the way we, as hunters, and consumers of wildlife products, to slowly be controlled by them. We are changing to what they want in ever-so-small percentages. They will win unless they are meant head-on with force meets force! Not hard to understand from a combat viewpoint. And this is WAR!

when will any of us simply tell these people to shove it! We need to fight back and sue the heck out of each individual that gives us a line of crap about what we do. Period. These nut jobs have "free" ability to do as they wish. As soon as most of US fight back from a legal, and physical position, we will NOT continue to lose what we have.

Too many times we just sit back and do nothing. I'll bet the next time one of these fruit-cakes gets confronted with the same type of tactics and some old fashioned --schoolyard-- confrontation, they will reassess their need to stick their nose where it should not belong!

But then, how many times are you going to turn the other cheek?

Enough IS enough! If we don't truly fight back and get just as dirty as we need to get, we will lose. People have to be willing to fight and be allowed to do so....let the chips fall where they may.

KIM

Marty

This response submitted by Evelyn on 11/18/04 at 5:17 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

yes apparantly they will be shooting highpowered rifles, the same you would use in the field to shoot a deer like a 22-250 or 270 (maybe even a 30-06).

I was wondering the same thing on how to prevent someone to just fire a shot in the air and the bullet ending up hitting someone miles down the road. Afterall those calibers can zoom that far, several miles.

I believe it is aimed at international rich clients who have absolutely nothing better to do then sit on their fat, lazy, unethical a$$es and "play a deadly game". The guy who owns the ranch said it is also for people that are handicapped or bedridden, and could otherwise not hunt. Now how many people like that do you know? Plus a lot of game ranches are equipped with handicapped hunters in mind. I think he just threw that in to make people believe he is doing a good thing. Bunch of crap if you ask me.

Personally I am ashamed that Texas would even consider this as legal and allow this guy to run this unethical operation.

SICK

This response submitted by Becky P on 11/18/04 at 5:21 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

that's all I can say, sick, very, very sick. That is NOT hunting.

Hunting lowest point?

This response submitted by jim on 11/18/04 at 5:23 PM. ( ) 63.227.249.26

Kim why would you ever want to side with this kind of a "hunt or hunters"? Am I reading you wrong? I hope so. This type of killing may be great searching for and wacking Bin Ladin types by the Army but as a blood "sport"? Come on, get real.

Jim, I did not side with this businessman.......GEEEEZZ

This response submitted by KIM on 11/18/04 at 6:59 PM. ( ) 69.171.249.149

Jim,

I'm raising some hell about the PETA people and other groups like them. That IS the real problem.

Already made the point that I'm not siding with this "robot--internet" hunt. Altho, I must admit that the idea is intriguing but this guy will fail because the State will in one way or another put a stop to it.

There are OTHER interesting ideas on this type of set-up...

I actually came up with a similar idea years ago...

This response submitted by Jason (nuttyhost guy) on 11/18/04 at 8:43 PM. ( sales@nuttyhost.com ) 24.118.255.164

I invented this sentry unit that would be able to be dropped from a plane at low altitudes and would implant itself into the ground. The satellite relay would then open up and send a signal back to the army base that would allow any teenager to watch and control on a live monitor whatever they were shooting at using high-end technology. I called it Super Mario Sentry, S.M.S. for short, but it never got to the prototype stage since the military was only using Mac's at the time and my unit ran on Windows based IBM computers. So, to make along story short, I went into the web design biz and sold the plans to some guy in Texas years ago. Ha! :) Hmmmm.

Weird...........

This response submitted by Jordan on 11/18/04 at 8:58 PM. ( ) 24.255.124.23

I just saw the same thing on another forum just minutes ago! I think its an excellent concept,but It has no use in hunting or target shooting.Maybe military.

Would love to have one

This response submitted by Ron on 11/18/04 at 10:31 PM. ( ) 205.231.189.211

in my front yard so I could kill burglars from a lap top while I'm on vaction. Maybe take out a few insurance salesmen while I,m at it. The possibilities are endless.

Ron

This response submitted by Jordan on 11/19/04 at 5:15 AM. ( ) 24.255.124.23

Good idea Ron!

Texas is reponding..

This response submitted by tomdes on 11/19/04 at 7:47 AM. ( ) 148.183.241.22

They are trying to find a way through legislation to shut this down before it starts. Hopefully it won't get off the ground....

The Taxidermy Industry could play a huge part in reducing

This response submitted by 2nd Ed on 11/20/04 at 12:08 PM. ( efisher@reachone.com ) 216.177.228.153

this kind of abuse of hunting privilages/rights. As Jim stated above, all you have to do is, as a cohesive group, refuse to do any work for the kind of shooter (not hunter) that chooses to take advantage of this or similar "canned" hunt situations.

I believe that the best taxidermists are the ones who care most about the animals they mount. If all of the "best" taxidermists refuse this kind of work, none of these people will be able to get a quality mount done on the animal that they have likely paid a pretty penny to purchase. If they don't have a nice mount to impress their other knucklehead friends, it might discourage future participation by them.

Also, as someone else stated above, we all need to contact whatever professional associations or groups we belong to in order to encourage them to provide public statements condemning this and other abuses of hunting.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu