thanksgiving ?

Submitted by yasmine on 11/25/04 at 7:10 AM. ( ) 194.254.131.72

Hi everybody,
we hear a little about thanksgiving here in France, but I dont really know what it is about, except that you eat turkey looool
so could you give me more information about thanksgiving ?
thanks !
yasmine

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Yasmine

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 11/25/04 at 9:35 AM. ( NaturesTrophies,aol ) 152.163.100.136

It's the day when Americans actually leave Mc Donalds for a minute and eat even more with their families. Beware of the triptophen(sp). Happy Holidays! Jeff F.

Yasmine

This response submitted by George on 11/25/04 at 9:36 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.136

By Presidential order in the US, Thanksgiving is on the fourth Thursday in November (In Canada, it's the second Monday in October). It is symbolic of the first year anniversary celebration held by the Pilgrims, a Puritan sect that had fled England to avoid persecution for religious beliefs. They established a colony in Plymouth,New England (what's now Massachusetts)in 1620. After surviving the hardships of the primitive life and austere conditions, legend has it that they held their first Thanksgiving in 1621 to give thanks to God for the bounty He'd bestowed on them and for their survival and safety. It is said that the local Indian tribes joined in with their own harvest festival and a good time was had by all, I'm assuming. In our politically correct society, God is a Deity that we're supposed to suppress, but Americans are a different breed than any other in the world. Thanksgiving, just like Christmas will be a religious observation regardless of what the PC crowd would like. It tends to be a special day here, where friends and family gather from miles apart just to share the joy of life and to be thankful for it. Turkey had it's beginnings at the original Thanksgiving as it was a plentiful wild bird, but I'm sure venison, rabbit, and squirrel also shared that table. Here, it's the gateway to the holiday season and my businesses tout "Black Friday", the day after. They've claim, though proven false, that the Friday following Thanksgiving is the day that shoppers put their finances out of the red and into "the black" for profits. It's said to be the biggest shopping day of the year, though statistics show the the 2 days before Christmas actually hold that distinction.

Years ago, Thanksgiving was the "family hunt" day when small game seasons opened for hunting. Some still celebrate the day with a morning rabbit or pheasant hunt, but the urbanization and "education" of America has numbed that into almost extinction. Now it's sitting on the couch after stuffing ourselves with too much food and watching football games on TV. Still, it's something to be Thankful for.

hum..

This response submitted by yas on 11/25/04 at 9:37 AM. ( ) 195.83.93.127

what's " triptophen(sp). "?

It is a day America sets aside for Thanking GOD.

This response submitted by John C on 11/25/04 at 9:43 AM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

The Pilgrims in the beginning of America set a day aside to thank GOD for blessing us with food, shelter, freedon and friends.

So Americans continue togather from Nation wide and feast some 300 plus years later.

In the last 50 years it also mark's the beginning of the Christmas Shopping season for us.

Tryptophane

This response submitted by Old Fart on 11/25/04 at 9:52 AM. ( ) 66.119.33.185

Tryptophane(I'm not sure about the spelling either) is a chemical contained in turkey meat that puts you to sleep(relaxes you). If you would like a more detailed description, I will try to look it up for you.

Thanks Geo!

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 11/25/04 at 11:12 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.136

I knew somebody would cover it more thoroughly for our little French student. And BTW,many in my area still consider this weekend as a second opening day of deer season. Last nights 3" of snow ought to help things out too! Alrighty then, back to the snow shovel. I'm getting to old for this.(LOL) I'll be picking up a snow blower TOMMORROW! Peace- Jeff F.

Aw, George

This response submitted by Wolfwoman on 11/25/04 at 2:44 PM. ( thepredator AT gci.net ) 24.237.152.90

I never knew that this was a 'family hunt' day. BUT I guess I made it true as we now have a couple of grouse to eat also that I got this AM! LOL

Wolfie

thank you everybody

This response submitted by yasmine on 11/26/04 at 3:36 AM. ( yasmineblal@voila.fr ) 195.83.93.127

thanks for having answered, and a special thanks to George, who has given a complete answer.
old fart : I didnt know turkey contained such chemical ! but I guess it's not linked to the fact that you eat turkey this day, is it ?
yas

Things I can only say this week at Thanksgiving and get away

This response submitted by snrt on 11/26/04 at 2:23 PM. ( ) 12.32.34.61

1. Talk about a huge breast.
2. Tying the legs together keeps the inside moist.
3. It's cool whip time.
4. If I don't undo my pants, I'll burst!
5. Whew, that's one terrific spread!
6. I'm in the mood for a little dark meat.
7. Are you ready for seconds yet?
8. It's a little dry, do you still want to eat it?
9. Just wait your turn, you'll get some.
10. Don't play with your meat!
11. Just spread the legs open and stuff it in.
12. Do you think you'll be able to handle all these people at once?
13. I didn't expect everyone to come at once.
14. You still have a little bit on your chin.
15. How long will it take after you stick it in?
16. You'll know it's ready when it pops up.
17. Wow, I didn't think I could handle all of that!
18. That's the biggest one I've ever seen!
19. How long do I beat it before it's ready?
20. Man, that looks just like cranberry sauce.
21. Is that hole good and stuffed?
22. Should I wrap that for you?
23. I've done my part, now I just want to sleep.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu