Apoxie Sculpt Problems

Submitted by James Parrish on 11/19/04 at 8:44 PM. ( ) 68.156.52.144

I have used apoxie sculpt for all sorts of tasks and have never had a problem. I got a new batch the other day and so far, I've hads 2 problems. I rebuilt a tine on a deer rack and it took 3 days to harden completely. Then, I used it on an open mouth bobcat. It cracked and shrank around the mouth and in the eyes. Has anyone else ever had these problems? Like I said, I have never had a problem in the past and I'm thinking it might be a bad batch.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

cure times

This response submitted by Raven on 11/19/04 at 9:39 PM. ( ) 24.150.199.145

The cure time problem is very likely an incomplete mix. It can happen to the best of us from time to time when using the lighter colours that don't show a full mix as readily as more contrasting colours. It could also be from using more resin than hardenner - but it sounds like you have experience using the stuff so getting even sized wads of putty shouldn't be a problem. Id say you just didnt mix it well enough? The shrinking thing though is weird! I've only heard of that for things with water in it. Now I know some people who use WAY too much water when using epoxy putties - do you? Just enough to moisten your fingers - nothing more.

The only probs I've ever had with Apoxie sculpt is when it goes hard n grainy. Placing the entire container in a tub of hot water will reconstitute it however.

Don't know if that helps - but it's summin to think about anyway...

I think you're right

This response submitted by Jim on 11/20/04 at 12:59 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.6

It sounds like you have used it enough to know what you are doing.The shrinking and cracking shouldn't happen,even if it is not thoroughly mixed.You just could have a bad batch.I would try another test sample and mix the daylights out of it and see what happens.If it doesn't work right contact the supplier or manufacturer.I am sure they will straighten it out pronto.If their is a bad batch the maker will need to know as there will be other kits hitting the market with the same problem.Over the years I have purchased several cans of bondo that were defective.It can happen.Good luck.Let us know what you find out.

This just happened to me recently too

This response submitted by jon on 11/20/04 at 8:42 AM. ( jonathan@harlequintaxidermy ) 68.184.178.161

mixed as normal, and three days later when I went back to look.. still as pliable as the day I had applied it..

I came really close to thinking that I had double dipped out of the same container and didnt realize it... I don't think I'm quite that brain frazzled yet. but who knows.

Jon

Is it old?

This response submitted by Drew on 11/21/04 at 11:25 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.202

I had an batch that I had not used in like 6 months. Well, I found out the hard way that it was bad. I finished a whole deer mount and it never dried. I had to pick it all out, clean it up, and redo it. Threw mine in the trash and ordered a new tub.

weird

This response submitted by lisa stanley on 11/22/04 at 12:03 AM. ( messiah6@aol.com ) 66.69.161.37

I've had the same container of Apoxie Sculpt for about 2 years and it still works great. It can go bad?

Lisa Stanley

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu