muskox horns

Submitted by jason on 11/28/04 at 3:31 PM. ( worldwidegameandfish@mts.net ) 205.200.45.37

I have a couple of muskox mounts to do lifesize. I just started out a few months ago and need help on what to do with the horns/head. Do I boil the horns untill the detatch from the skull? Can anyone give me there advise and what works for them. also after there off what to do all the way untill the finall steps like painting? Thank you all for your help.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Unbelievable

This response submitted by Dennis D on 11/28/04 at 7:38 PM. ( ) 199.239.214.112

Jason
you have no taxidermy training at all? did you shoot these animals ? Do you know how to turn ears ,eyes ,lips let alone take the last nuckle bone from the hoofs, and what you ask for help from start to finish? I don't understand why you have taken these in with no idea on how ? what was you thinking when you took these in (these could get very costly to you and your pocket.This is what gives taxidermist a bad name, I'm not here to judge you but maybe you should get some training or start on smaller animals so you at least have idea on what you are doing .info like your asking for cost some of us a couple hundreds dollars .(But to get you started send them out to the bug works to have the bugs eat them) and again Jason I don't mean you no disrespected

>>Hard to believe YOUR situation and post. WHAT nerve!

This response submitted by Old Pro Taxidermist on 11/28/04 at 8:30 PM. ( ) 69.171.249.149

If someone gets mad for what I say, tuff! Something needs to be said about this reckless sitution and arrogance!

I assume these are customer's mounts? Someone really needs to get the point across that you have no business to work on these mounts unless you were honest with the people that trusted you. YOU SHOULD LEARN THE HARD WAY AND THE CUSTOMERS WILL TO, I suppose.

It has been said before: DO NOT take in work that you are not qualified or experienced to do. Get experience and training first, develop your education and then proceed. Why would you accept something that is valuable and not KNOW how to do it? Are you going to practice on a CUSTOMERS work in which they TRUSTED you to do it?

I have got to stop before I reach through the computer and.......

Nice Job Jackass

This response submitted by Redd's Taxidermy on 11/28/04 at 9:36 PM. ( ) 216.49.226.165

Boil them until the horns pop off! This may take a year or two. You ought to look up the word CLUE! in the dictionary because you don't have one! Also, you should have paid more attention in your English class because you can't speelll to weelll! (The same for the first guy who responded)

Welcome to the forums

This response submitted by cur on 11/29/04 at 12:26 AM. ( ) 4.253.67.177

I have a sign. I have had that sign for a long time. It reads simply, "Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Why on earth would anyone.........and by that I mean, ANYONE, take on a job unless he or she was sure of the processes required to finish? When you look a customer in the eye and say, "Sure, I can", and you CAN'T, that makes you a liar of the first order.

It would make sense to me to find the answers BEFORE you commit to a job in ANY career field. Put the plug in the boat son, PRIOR to launching. It is a whole lot simpler that way.

Normally, I am willing to help any one, beginner to seasoned pro, whenever they ask for my advice, thoughts or hands on help. But I have no pity for a man who takes a client's goods and money without haveing a clue about how to finish the job.

Son to get those horns off all but a very young animal, you will need one of the following:

Prima cord or blasting caps and a quarter stick of tnt
Hydroflouric acid (neutralize when the core is exposed)
The Jaws of Life
Devine Intervention

Pick one.

The horns seldom, if ever, come off. And just because those little bovids have more hair than Bill Golden, doesn't make them easy to mount either.

Jason

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/29/04 at 1:42 AM. ( ) 67.138.8.191

All I will assume is that, based on your question, you dont have the experience of doing a musk ox already, and to be blunt as hell, NOBODY has musk ox experience prior to THEIR first one, either.

That having been said, try this. Its a good bet your horns have already been boiled once before you got them. Either way, cut or chisel the inside of the horn out, above the second curve, near where the side of the head covers the inside of the horn anyway, and remove the rest of the core. Each animal is shaped a bit differently, some dont come off even after doing this. But youll get in there enough to at least clean it, and treat it. Then fill them and patch the horns inside surface. It doesnt show on the mount.

Finally, just check your reference as you would on your first "anything" you get to mount.

>>>>>>>>>>>>You miss the point Yox

This response submitted by OPT on 11/29/04 at 12:55 PM. ( ) 69.171.249.149

Yox,

You miss the point(s) of the two posts above yours. Why dosen't that suprise me?

GEEZE!

Yox, the THREE POSTS above yours says it all.

This response submitted by OPT on 11/29/04 at 1:00 PM. ( ) 69.171.249.149

My bad! The THREE posts above yours eplains all the detail to get the points across..

There is nothing wrong

This response submitted by cur on 11/29/04 at 2:45 PM. ( ) 4.226.213.135

With Bill's statement. There are firsts for everything in this field. My point is that some homework should be done before accepting the job in the first place, and not seek advice after the fact. So many times that advice is sought too late for it to do much good.

There are a number of ways to clean out the horn pulp, Bill's suggestion is one of them. down here in the tropics, coffin and flesh fly larva work for most of the year. Fire ants seem to lose interest after the first wave or two, and I understand dermestids don't do so well either

What I don't understand is why anyone would leve two muskoxen with a "someone who just started out" in the first place.

whomever wants to bash me, fine...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/29/04 at 11:50 PM. ( ) 66.133.133.92

Before you call ME names, read this...

MINE
This response submitted by Jason on 11/28/04 at 10:41 PM. ( worldwidegameandfish@mts.net ) 205.200.45.17
The two muskox I'm going to mount are my own personal ones that I shot last year. I want to mount these before working on anyone elses. Thanks

Now who is it that cant read?
Its some of YOU guys that are the ones doing all the assuming here. Ill stand by MY post and opinion. Its my thinking thats done me quite well so far thank you.

Ill be willing to bet BIG that most of the rest of you have never chiseled those cores out, have you? But you still mounted the horns on YOUR first musk ox, correct? Care to continue, or maybe just let this one go without pissing about me, like Im the problem here.

Ill gladly accept all apologies here in this post...

Get 'em Bill

This response submitted by Jim on 11/30/04 at 2:13 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

Very well put.Some people forget that they weren't born knowing how to do this stuff and how many of us learned how to mount a Musk Ox by practicing on our own specimens first?You are also correct that most have never chiseled the horns out,let alone know what you are talking about.

Well

This response submitted by cur on 11/30/04 at 7:49 AM. ( ) 4.252.241.242

I didn't read the other post, William, but judging from the context of this post, "I have two musk ox to do", one would assume the critters were not the posters........

Whatever. My point is still that folks often come on here after the fact and want information they should obtain before hand.

I think you need a new flack jacket. Unless my eyes are failing me, no one called you any names.

Cur and I can read! Can anyone else?

This response submitted by OPT on 11/30/04 at 5:59 PM. ( ) 69.171.249.149

Regarding Bill and Jim's post:::

LMAO. Oh, I'm sorry. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings....LMAO

Regarding Cur's post:::

Well said Cur, WELL SAID!

Cur said::

Well
This response submitted by cur on 11/30/04 at 7:49 AM. ( ) 4.252.241.242
I didn't read the other post, William, but judging from the context of this post, "I have two musk ox to do", one would assume the critters were not the posters........

Whatever. My point is still that folks often come on here after the fact and want information they should obtain before hand.

I think you need a new flack jacket. Unless my eyes are failing me, no one called you any names.

Now, I understood what Cur said. Does anyone else? LMAO

here we go...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 12/1/04 at 12:07 AM. ( ) 66.133.132.235

Cur, to coin a phrase and then twist it...if the shoe doesnt fit, dont wear it. I CLEARLY stated in my last post "Whomever wants to bash me, fine..." and also "Its some of YOU guys..."...emphasis on the word SOME.

Those two quotes are the start of two sentences of mine that are based on on-going comments, not just those in this particular post. You have stepped into something already in progress, my man. If you feel the comments do not pertain to you, (and they didnt) then theres no explanation needed.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu