one year on a mount

Submitted by jim on 11/20/04 at 3:27 PM. ( ) 63.227.249.26

of a pheasant. Brought in last December 20th '03. No deposit, I told her I did not like to do birds anymore when she brought it in; and it would be at least a year before I could get it done and I was only taking it because she had another mount here, an antelope shoulder mount, which I finished within six months and she was very happy with it. This bird was for her boyfriend as a gift. They moved last September several states away and left no forwarding address. I knew this only thru her brother who called and asked about the mount in Oct. but he did not know her new address or phone # and I never heard back. Now only today her boyfriend with her in the background just called my wife and wanted to know about the bird. When my wife asked about a deposit he went balistic with her yelling in the background and started screaming and using foul language. My wife hung up. Pretty discouraging day in this high profit business. Thank God for the good days that make up the difference.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Jim

This response submitted by Jeff@Jeff's Taxidermy on 11/20/04 at 3:40 PM. ( ) 216.248.78.123

Dont feel bad you and I and every other taxi out here Im sure has had the same problem.......dont let them get to ya cuz you dont need customers like that....
I had a customer beg me to mount his bass right away....told him it would cost $50 extra he agreed ......but no deposit ...I will have it for you next week he told me.....well it was mounted and I got no return calls so I sent out 2 letters 1 month apart and no response .....the fish has been sold to another customer of mine who is very happy with it now.....
If I were you I'd send that pheasant COD back to them when you got an address......HAHAHA
Good Luck and dont let them customers get to ya my friend, Jeff

Get this.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 11/20/04 at 3:52 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

I mounted a deerhead for a man, then he did not have the money for the deposit and still has not bailed it out.

I even took in a fish from the same guy, freezer burned and 3/4 rotted before he froze it.

I ordered a repro and have tried several times to get him to pick up the deerhead and fish.

Bottom line is he just wants something to bitch about.

Wheres the $$$$$$?

He has even complained to the NTA about it.

His cost to date, zero, nadda fricken penny.

He is one of those that want to bitch bitch bitch.

I even offered to deliver the items if he has cash!

NO MONEY

This response submitted by John B on 11/20/04 at 4:30 PM. ( ) 68.201.84.111

If you don't like to do something,don't take it in.
If they don't have the deposit DON'T take the work.
You put yourself in this position.

Thanks John

This response submitted by jim on 11/20/04 at 4:53 PM. ( ) 63.227.249.26

You are so understanding. You surely are a small businessman and taxidermist with years of experience. I wish you the best. oh I forgot to mention they were going to bring in a deposit in a "few days" after I wrote it up. I planned on wholesaleing it out after I recieved a deposit but being busy I just forgot about it until the brother called in Oct.

10 pecent

This response submitted by Paul I on 11/20/04 at 6:20 PM. ( paulblastoatyahoo.com ) 209.210.35.7

Jim dont take it personal.Ten percent of the people you will deal with are idiots.They waste your time and get you writing posts like this.LOL Get past it and remember how to avoid this club of weiners and you might get to the point having nothing but great people to deal with.Form a set of rules and listen to the key words that idiots say and that help you avoid them.

Money Upfront

This response submitted by Kim Collins on 11/20/04 at 10:10 PM. ( ynedkcollins5@netzero.com ) 4.129.67.163

before work starts is how we work it. 50% deposit on everything! No matter who you are because your friends are the worst about paying!Now I have guys who drop stuff off and need to bring the money in but the are told that their work doesnt hit the work order list until I get 50%. So your 6 months start when you pay deposit. So far I only have one mount in this year that I may not get paid for. But we will not start it until we get paid or after all the paying work is done. And then I will mount it the way I want to and hang it in the showroom and then if he shows up he knows from our contract that I will tack on $25 a month for storage!
Kim

Friends= Cheap

This response submitted by Drew on 11/21/04 at 11:21 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.202

I am learning the hard way about "friends". I am doing several mounts for friends this year and not one of them has coughed up a deposit yet. I told them it won't get sent to tan unless I get tanning cost up front. So now I have a stack of capes sitting in my garage dried and ready to go, but I won't ship them.

Mail them the bird

This response submitted by cur on 11/21/04 at 4:41 PM. ( whatever ) 4.227.112.240

Just wrap the bird up well, let it sit around a few days, and then send it to them parcel post, in the middle of the Christmas rush. No one can say you didn't return the bird. No deposit, no intent, so you are off the hook. Better yet, send it one or two apartment or street numbers away from their address, so their new neighbors can get first whiff of the aroma. That should not only get the bird back to them, but help the perps meet new friends.

Jim,You are welcome

This response submitted by John B on 11/22/04 at 12:40 AM. ( ) 68.201.84.111

Jim
Yes,I understand.
Yes,I am also a small businessman and taxidermist with 21 years experince. I have delt with customers of this kind.The tighter you run your shop the better off you will be in the years to come.You can weed out most of them,but you will always have some idiots.
This can be a high profit business, if you treat it as a business.
I am not try to be an a--. Just to the point.I wish you and everyone the best and thank GOD for the good days, as we are blessed to have a choice to do what we do.

Drew,
True friends would understand you have a business to run. Learn to seperate business and friendship. Treat them as customers when necessary and you will earn respect.If not,they were not friends.
About the stack of capes. How many hours have you worked without getting paid?

www.jamesmarsico.com

This response submitted by jim on 11/22/04 at 10:43 AM. ( ) 63.227.249.26

This is year 32 full time for me. No matter what I will not have anyone start swearing and yelling at my wife or myself over a job esp. one that does even have a deposit on it. I doubt you would either. So I did not bring anything on myself in this case. I do make a profit in this business but I have made all the mistakes along the way. I am also a sculptor and the same kind of mistakes can be made in that or any business. I can tell you that most taxidermists DO NOT make much of a profit or living full time unless they work for someone else. That is a very easy fact to prove.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu