Why is hunting necessary? Important read.

Submitted by Todd B on 11/29/04 at 8:07 AM. ( ) 4.225.22.210

I need some input for my college speech class. I am writing a persuasive speech on why hunting is necessary. If any of you have facts concerning this or any source that I can look up online for information I would apprciate it. I need to be able to back up the info. It could be Biologist reports or whatever.

Thanks alot,
Todd B

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Look up deer hunting in particular...

This response submitted by marty on 11/29/04 at 8:11 AM. ( ) 24.15.104.42

...on the internet. W/O deer hunting we'd probably have a visitor coming thru our windshield at least once a week when going to work. That and crop damage would be exponentially more than it is now. Economy - hunters generate over a BILIION dollars in revenue each year in Wisconsin alone...

Legal hunting

This response submitted by Laurie on 11/29/04 at 8:53 AM. ( ) 62.253.248.93

I feel there are several reasons fro hunting:
Pest control (crop damage, gound damage)
Wildlife conservation (reducing preditor counts)
Living (some people depend apon hunting to fund an income)
Wildlife research and study

I hope that this helps answer your question

kindest regards

It isn't

This response submitted by Mike on 11/29/04 at 10:41 AM. ( ) 64.91.85.103

Hunting is not absoulutely necessary, but the consequences of not hunting would be extremely disturbing, if not disastrous. Do a little research about animal populations and places where populations were allowed to grow unchecked.

Check into the ancestry of humans and their need to hunt. There is evidence all around us in society of how people express there predatory nature in other ways.

And finally I would emphasize the need for humans to be immersed in and fully aware of the natural world around them. Killing an animal is part of what constitutes the hunting experience. We need now more than ever people who see the value of the natural world that all life depends on, and hunting is one of the best ways for a person to see it. Hunting is an extension of that world which so many people have become out of touch with.

You're dead wrong Mike

This response submitted by George on 11/29/04 at 12:29 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.136

It IS absolutely necessary. Maybe not by humans, but by SOMEONE or SOMETHING. Predator and prey fall into those categories just because the good Lord designed it that way. Each depends on the other to survive as a species. We eliminate predators, prey species overpopulate and die of catastrophic consequences. The Great Circle of Life is always maintained. If we don't hunt them, then Nature hunts them and nature is most times not as "humane" as we are.

The symbiotic relationship between lemmings and the snowy owl is most interesting. Then the lemmings are at their peak populations, the owls tend to have larger and more hatchlings. This inturn brings the lemming numbers back into check making hunting them more difficult. When the lemmings are hard to find, the hatch rate drops dramatically.

For whitetail deer, man is the only predator left over much of its domain. Whitetails are now found in areas where they never were 100 years ago because they continue to expand unabated. As the insurance companies about deer. It was posted recently about the billions of dollars paid to deer damage claims last year as well as the death rate of humans involved in these accidents. Everytime you eliminate a hunter from the deer woods, your insurance rates go up.

Funny you should ask....

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 11/29/04 at 1:47 PM. ( NaturesTrophies,aol ) 152.163.100.136

while I sit here and eat a hickory smoked deer steak.(GOOD STUFF) That in itself is enough for me but there are many factors to consider. An important aspect for me is the ethics and responsibility you can teach a youngster through hunting. A child that respects nature will most likely respect his fellow man. And the big one. If a youngster can feel that exciting "high" that comes from hunting than it might save them from seeking out destructive "highs". But thats just my take. Good Luck! Jeff F.

. . . . . .

This response submitted by b bishop/ Republican on 11/29/04 at 4:10 PM. ( ) 65.73.67.205

" Being hunters is what has made humans what they are , too , from millions of years of a hunting past that shaped everything from our bodies to our brains to our social relationships . Ten thousand years of grubbing in the dirt is hardly an adequate period for the impulse to hunt to be extinguished in our lives . And so the real aberration is not that some humans still hunt and kill , but that some do not . "

Thomas McIntyre , The Way of The Hunter : The Art and Spirit of Modern Hunting , 1988

and one more . . . .

This response submitted by b bishop/ Republican on 11/29/04 at 4:29 PM. ( ) 65.73.67.205

" Death is essential because without it there is no authentic hunting; the killing of the animal is the natural end of the hunt and the goal of hunting itself, not of the hunter . The hunter seeks this death because it is no less than the sign of reality for the whole hunting process . To sum up , one does not hunt in order to kill ; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it , to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill. "

Jose Ortega y Gasset , Meditations on Hunting , 1943

What I am trying to get across to you Todd is that hunting is essential to our being because it is engrained into us , it is who we are . There are alot of people that do not hunt but still will buy thier meat wedged between plastic wrap and foam at the store . We are meat eaters and hunters , our eyes are forward like ALL predators . Hope this gets you thinking . Brad

I can't help but add

This response submitted by native son(Gator) on 11/29/04 at 8:06 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.136

That it is a privledge to go into the woods, that so many take for granted, do your scouting, maybe months in advance, find your best spot to locate your stand, maybe around rubs or scrapes, maybe just a ground blind, maybe hang a feeder. Anything you do to better your chances of seeing that big one will help in your harvest. I just hope that each of you remember that the animal gave his or her life to you so you may enjoy that harvest in one way or another. Just take a moment with your downed animal and do as the Native Americans(Indians) did and sit beside it and give thanks to this magestic creature for giving his life up for you to enjoy.I do it every time I put one on the ground. Just makes me feel a little bit better.

All meat eaters hunt

This response submitted by Mr. T on 11/29/04 at 8:46 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.89

If you think about it, how do you get meat to eat? Buy it, raise it, and hunt it. If you buy the meat, you have a favorite butcher shop or preferred store (or restaurants) that you consistently get good steaks or burger from and some places that you would never buy from due to quality issues in the store or product. So in a way, you are hunting for taste and quality, or price when it is on sale. The meat just happens to be killed and processed before you buy it. The taste and fulfillment of a good meal is the satisfaction of the hunt.

If you raise the meat, you hunt for a calf from a farmer, or stockyard, unless you are the farmer and just cull one out of the herd. You may have trained your eye to pick just the right animal to set aside and give the best feed to, to get the best flavor after slaughter. Or some farmers only butcher when a cow goes down with a broken leg, this is salvaging an animal from waste. But both in ways, effort and planning goes into obtaining the meat, with killing being the necessary way to the provision of meat. Reflection at the dinner table of the hard work from raising you're own beef or poultry, is the reward of the hunt done in the barnyard.
Hunting with weapons to obtain wild game goes way back before stores and farms. It was our first option as a way of getting meat, or being meat.
Hunting is no different than shopping, or culling the herd; you are just shopping outdoors, going from store to store (woods to woods) and finding that the shelves are empty most all the time.

Gator

This response submitted by Mr. T on 11/29/04 at 9:01 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.89

Not making fun of you, but do you do that at Mc Donald's, or at the store in front of the meat counter when you pick out a steak? I understand what you are talking about. I am at awe of the creator when I harvest a deer, or catch a fish, and I spend many moments pondering why they were created in such ways, and then to provide a meal on top of the deal is the ultimate. The best thing about taxidermy to me is that I can see in my living room the picture and mount of that day, and that moment, of the life and donation of the animal to me, provided by the creator. Now that's the ultimate.

Sustainable Utilization

This response submitted by 8 on 11/30/04 at 7:36 AM. ( 8 ) 203.40.161.107

And if you find that a hard concept to handle, do some research on Kenyas total ban of hunting in that country and population inbalances, compared to other Southern African countries, and how such species as Black Widerbeest, Blesbok and Cape Hartebeest were saved from extinction,,,only through commercial hunting practices.

Where hunting is permited, populations are often managed through safari hunting practices, and often such practices are the only source of income to the landowner and the surrounding tribal community.
In simple economics, when it is worth a buck, , people will look after it.
Where society prohibits the utilization of resources , such as the hunting of game, landowners and communities will often displace such wildlife in favor of those that can be utilized commercially, such as domestic farming stock.
Habitat is cleared for pasture, swamps drained for crops, and the encroachment of native wildlife onto now tamed lands regarded as an invasion, and the "culprits" dispatched through approved programs, but often with little or no redemption value.
Even Leakey the Conservation Minister of Kenya many years ago confessed that prohibiting hunting in Kenya, and proclaiming areas as National Park, did little for conservation and ecological balance for that country.
Elephant poulations in Kenya expanded, destroyed Park habitat and placed pressure upon the browser species sharing that same eco system.Eventually elephants committed raids upon neighbouring villages outside the Park in search of further food resources. The people of these villages, (who had received no benefit whatsoever from the establishment of National Parks in the first place), then began poisioning watering holes inside the Park boundaries in an attempt to rid all of the indigenous wildlife there.
No longer could they hunt nor graze stock inside these areas, and eventually they came to the belief that through poisioning,if no animals existed inside the park, then there would be no need for a park. They figured that such boundaries would then be dissolved, and once again they would return to tender stock in the manner they had done for many years, before the arrival of National Parks.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu