OUCH...........and it's not politcal

Submitted by Becky P on 11/3/04 at 9:33 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.202

Someone really needs to take all sharp objects away from me. I just ran a needle all the way through my finger, and I do mean all the way through. In one side, out the other ...ya, go ahead and laugh. Don't ask how I did it, but it hurt like hell. Guess now I'll get another needle stuck in me, this time from the doc.
Everyone be careful out there. Shops are about to get busy with deer and lots of sharp objects.
BP

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Never pull the needle toward you!

This response submitted by John C on 11/3/04 at 10:06 PM. ( Huurahh ) 70.178.74.104

Many years ago and Old time taxidermist, who has long passed, was sewing on a gamehead and as he pulled the needle ran thru his heart, he did not die from it but its still pretty dangerous.

John

This response submitted by BP on 11/3/04 at 10:12 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.135

Good advice, but it wasn't a sewing needle, it was a syringe needle (empty at the time). It slipped. I had gloves on, maybe that contributed to it. Don't really know what I did, til I did it.
But I will keep that in mind when sewing. Thanks.

DONT FEEL TOO BAD

This response submitted by Jeff@Jeff's Taxidermy on 11/3/04 at 10:21 PM. ( ) 216.248.78.67

When I first started in taxidermy I was wiring wings on a pheasant .
I had sharpened a point on the ends of the wire and when I was working the wire through the wing .......guess what ........it popped through the wing and I didnt stop in time and ran a 13 gauge wire through my hand.....all the way through hahaha
needless to say I called the Dr and they told me dont pull it out but cut it off some so you can get here to let us x-ray it to make sure when it gets pulled out it wont damage anything.
It didnt hurt when I did it I was just a lil suprized haha but it hurt like hell when the the Dr pulled it out hahaha.
To date I am still a lil lirry when wiring wings but I am more careful how I do it and I know EXACTLY where my other hand is at all times .

I have had luck like that.

This response submitted by Todd B on 11/3/04 at 10:22 PM. ( ) 4.225.22.152

You know the hide adjuster? The one that is a handle with a row of sharp spikes sticking out. I was adjusting a cape and pulling it toward me. Well to make a long story short I ended up with a row of holes in my chest. Boyu did that smart.

Todd B
www.buckspromounttaxidermy.com

Look John, that SOUNDS good, but it's bull

This response submitted by George on 11/3/04 at 11:52 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.135

That's like pushing a rope, ain't happening. I grew up with a mother and grandmother who quilted and I NEVER saw any of them pushing a needle. It's just one of the inherent hazards of sewing by hand. What gets most people in trouble is that they have dull needles OR they don't let the needle go through the skin on the bias. If you hold the hide without pinching it, and let the needle do the work, you don't overpressure the needle. Every once in awhile you get careless and eat a needle or push a bird wing wire into your hand. Just the hazard of the game and you try and not make the same mistake again. How many of you have been eaten by your fleshing machine? Or dropped a scalpel only to have it skewer your foot? That's why they make DP. LMAO

Scalpel in the leg once!

This response submitted by John on 11/4/04 at 2:21 AM. ( JAKE2825@aol.com ) 64.12.116.135

Dropped a scalpel and it stuck perfectly straight up into my upper leg.Almost like I put it there on purpose.Hurt like hell and looked goofy also. Probably because I wanst expecting to see a scalpel comming straight out of my thiegh. Had to have a few cold ones to settel my nerves.My first thought was "Boy I cant afford to see the DR. so if I need stitches guess whos going to do it." Good thing the liquid courage talked me out of that scenario.John

what a relief...

This response submitted by Michelle B on 11/4/04 at 6:01 AM. ( laurelmt@lhtc.net ) 65.167.183.32

I'm really sorry to hear about everyones injuries. But I'm actually glad to see it's not just me. I was beginning to think I was the clutz-iest taxidermist around. Or just having a "blonde moment" ALOT.
Over a course of yrs- Scalpel thru side of finger-9 stitches, screw-driver thru hand- 4 stitches (I put in myself), big S-postmortum needle side of face, drill bit in finger, not to mention all the scalpel nicks and needle jags. I was beginning to think I owned stock in "Neosporin & Band-aid"... And just with-in the last month, I've had a grinder cutting wheel go thru the back of my heel (dropped it while running) and the point of a spade bit go into my wrist. My husband threatened to lock up all my power tools!

Misery loves company,

This response submitted by Becky P on 11/4/04 at 8:23 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

isn't that what they say?
Guess I'm in GOOD company. LOL
Michelle, I've been thinking the same thing about me being the clutziest taxidermist.
BP

Just this week

This response submitted by BWS on 11/4/04 at 9:13 AM. ( ... ) 148.78.243.26

Hubby was fleshing out a cape for me...and yup, you guessed it...he also fleshed out his hand. Going right now to pick up some wire mesh gloves for the fleshing table..LOL.

Sheila

Ah look at it this way

This response submitted by Evelyn on 11/4/04 at 9:27 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

All them scars and injuries are medals of honor. They let us tell a story and feel tough about ourselves. The first few years I think I owned stock in Johnson and Johnson bandages. If I didn't have at least one bandage on each finger of my hands it wasn't a good year.

I still have an "emergency drawer" close to my workbench with iodine and bandages in it. It now only takes me about 10 seconds from time of "impact" to rip off my glove, pour over some iodine and bandage that puppy up. I am so proud of myself. Only a lot of hard work can get you to that point. LOL

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu