Did I do the right thing

Submitted by Doug P on 11/4/04 at 9:07 PM. ( ) 67.1.97.73

Heres the deal. My buddy (I've done a deerhead for him for 300$ I charge 375$) asks me if I would do a deerhead for his buddies uncle for 350$ or he would have someone else do it. I thought to myself why you undercuten SOB. The someone else thats gonna do it charges 425$ and is backed up for a year and a half. At first I told him yes then later called back and told him no cause I was pissed after thinking about it. I'm going on my third year of buisness with a American Institute of Taxidermy degree, to be truthfull things are starting to finally go good now with plenty of buisness coming in. A year ago I'd a said heck ya but this cutting people a deal is BS. My time is worth more than that. What are taxidermists suppose to be like car salesmans? I do admit I suck at the buisness part of my taxidermy business, but I think I'm starting to learn. I think from here on out I will take freinds off the cutting a deal list and leave it with just family. F@#kers

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Are you happy about what you did?

This response submitted by John C on 11/4/04 at 9:59 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Our opinion dont mater, your's does!

Doug, I think you've got promise

This response submitted by George on 11/4/04 at 10:32 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.134

Remember, you make your living off of your friends. Your enemies take their work elsewhere. Everytime you give someone a 'break', you lose money. Simple mathematics. Usually they want to use it to bargain against you NEXT time. Tell him to shove it.

it would be different

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/4/04 at 10:41 PM. ( ) 67.138.8.37

If your buddies uncle knew you any other time of year, ya know? He drops a load of firewood by, or helped you wire the shop, or constantly pushes your name all around and gets you additional work. Id have said no, same as you. Feels good to be honest to YOURSELF, doesnt it?

For what it's worth

This response submitted by TonyH on 11/4/04 at 11:04 PM. ( ) 69.208.251.85

Here's how I decide(d) who would or would not get deals.

If they voted for Bush, no deals . . . just kidding.

Seriously though, here's what I did.
Last year was my first year of "open to the public" business. Now, it takes some courage to hand over your trophy deer to a first-year taxi. Some of my "friends" did. Others didn't.

So it was simple. If they are actual friends, meaning we do things other than complete taxidermy transactions, and they showed some faith in me last year. I give them a break on the price. About $50 or so. Not enough that I'm giving the work away, but enough to let them know that friendship has its perks. These are the same guys who not only showed faith in me last year, they also, as Bill mentioned, showed up with their skid-loader and moved some sand around when I was ready to pour some concrete, or let me use their tools, etc, etc.

So, in a nutshell, I enjoy being able to provide taxidermy service at a good price for friends.

But I know who my friends are.

only way

This response submitted by mikeD on 11/5/04 at 10:00 AM. ( ) 64.233.135.63

The only way we cut ANYONE a deal is if services or merchandise worth some monetary value is in the deal.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu