Cecil , don't feel bad , you are not alone . . . . . . .

Submitted by b bishop/ Republican on 11/4/04 at 10:06 PM. ( ) 65.73.67.130

We liberal elitists have taken a beating; now what?
Mark Hare
Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

"And among those who said that moral values were the most important issues in the election, Bush beat Kerry by a five-to-one margin." So said a story in Wednesday's Denver Post. It may be the story of the election.

I woke up Wednesday morning, staring at a Bush victory and thinking simultaneously that I live in a country of idiots and that I must be an elitist jerk to think so. Maybe I'm the one who's wrong. I asked some of my more liberal friends if they've had the same feeling.

"I say the same thing to myself," says Peter Mott of Pittsford, a long-time activist for peace and social justice causes. "I do think that people are smart enough, but they often don't have the information they need."

Mott and his wife, Gail, voted for John Kerry by absentee ballot and then spent the last four days of the campaign as Kerry get-out-the-vote volunteers in Erie, Pa. "It's very, very poor, with people living in decrepit old trailers," he says. "But people understood the issues — jobs, the economy and Iraq."

So what about all those red states —that vast expanse between Minnesota and the West Coast? So how does President George Bush win all those states despite what seems to us liberal elitists as a disastrous war in Iraq, disastrous tax cuts and disastrous deficits?

"I did not feel this bad when I lost my own election," says former Democratic state Sen. Rick Dollinger. "I'm asking myself how it is that I seem so divorced in my thinking from the average American."

Part of the answer is simple faith. The president professes it. It is the basis of his stay-the-course approach. It's part of the American experience. Stick to your views and don't look back.

Many of us in the liberal elite also take our faith seriously, but as Dollinger says, "Belief matters, but it must be supplemented with reason and empirical evidence."

A lot of red state voters don't see it that way. "I think over the last five or six elections, the Democratic candidates have been head and shoulders more intelligent," says former Rochester City Councilman Gary Muldoon. "But smartness is not the most important thing, nor should it be." Former President Bill Clinton, Muldoon says, is very intelligent "but it led to real problems with hubris."

Republicans have often been better at connecting to people, he says. It's just a fact. Ronald Reagan didn't live the common life as an adult, but he had the common touch. So does George Bush.

Bush asked voters to trust him. And they did. Do I get it? No. But the fact is Democrats will not elect a president again until they have a candidate who connects with the heartland. That's not a knock on John Kerry. The common touch is hard to define. You either have it or you don't. George W. Bush has lived a sheltered and comfortable life, but millions of voters identify with his faith, his family, his certainty.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Give it..

This response submitted by .. on 11/4/04 at 10:16 PM. ( ) 4.226.48.198

a rest Bishop!

WRONG, you're missing parts (as usual): the true version:

This response submitted by Junipera on 11/4/04 at 10:18 PM. ( ) 66.66.1.216

We liberal elitists have taken a beating; now what?

Mark Hare
Democrat and Chronicle columnist
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(November 4, 2004) — "And among those who said that moral values were the most important issues in the election, Bush beat Kerry by a five-to-one margin." So said a story in Wednesday's Denver Post. It may be the story of the election.

I woke up Wednesday morning, staring at a Bush victory and thinking simultaneously that I live in a country of idiots and that I must be an elitist jerk to think so. Maybe I'm the one who's wrong. I asked some of my more liberal friends if they've had the same feeling.

"I say the same thing to myself," says Peter Mott of Pittsford, a long-time activist for peace and social justice causes. "I do think that people are smart enough, but they often don't have the information they need."

Mott and his wife, Gail, voted for John Kerry by absentee ballot and then spent the last four days of the campaign as Kerry get-out-the-vote volunteers in Erie, Pa. "It's very, very poor, with people living in decrepit old trailers," he says. "But people understood the issues — jobs, the economy and Iraq."

So what about all those red states —that vast expanse between Minnesota and the West Coast? So how does President George Bush win all those states despite what seems to us liberal elitists as a disastrous war in Iraq, disastrous tax cuts and disastrous deficits?

"I did not feel this bad when I lost my own election," says former Democratic state Sen. Rick Dollinger. "I'm asking myself how it is that I seem so divorced in my thinking from the average American."

Part of the answer is simple faith. The president professes it. It is the basis of his stay-the-course approach. It's part of the American experience. Stick to your views and don't look back.

Many of us in the liberal elite also take our faith seriously, but as Dollinger says, "Belief matters, but it must be supplemented with reason and empirical evidence."

A lot of red state voters don't see it that way. "I think over the last five or six elections, the Democratic candidates have been head and shoulders more intelligent," says former Rochester City Councilman Gary Muldoon. "But smartness is not the most important thing, nor should it be." Former President Bill Clinton, Muldoon says, is very intelligent "but it led to real problems with hubris."

Republicans have often been better at connecting to people, he says. It's just a fact. Ronald Reagan didn't live the common life as an adult, but he had the common touch. So does George Bush.

Bush asked voters to trust him. And they did. Do I get it? No. But the fact is Democrats will not elect a president again until they have a candidate who connects with the heartland. That's not a knock on John Kerry. The common touch is hard to define. You either have it or you don't. George W. Bush has lived a sheltered and comfortable life, but millions of voters identify with his faith, his family, his certainty.

As I said in my Sunday column, there are two Americas and we don't get each other.

"I feel like I really don't understand (Bush supporters)," says Elaine Spaull, director of the Center for Youth Services. "I feel like an alien in my own country."

A lot of us feel that way this morning. We in the liberal elite need to work on our own heads. We need a little humility. We cannot change our beliefs, but we have to stop looking down on the rest of the country.

What we most need however, is a president who can bridge the divide, help us find common ground and mutual respect. George W. Bush is not that president. That's why I'm truly sad today.

Mellonhead, Elaine Spaull is a lot like you

This response submitted by George on 11/4/04 at 10:25 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.134

And I'm glad you included it. She surmised that she's "an alien" in her own country. YOU'RE AN ALIEN as well. Well, I don't know about a space invader, but you're surely the closest thing to a space cadet I've seen lately.

George what happend to your principals ?

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/4/04 at 10:29 PM. ( ) 63.115.128.244

you told me you were glad I was giving up the politics but bonehead Brad posts away and you don't complain. Come on now stick to your principals. LOL

if theres any argument

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 11/4/04 at 10:38 PM. ( ) 67.138.8.37

I can get the paper, as its from MY city. Good old gay friendly Rochester. Sucks to be me!

No , just following protacol

This response submitted by b bishop/ Republican on 11/4/04 at 11:23 PM. ( ) 65.73.67.41

posting entire articles opens this site up to copy right laws so I post the majority of the article but to some , it's cherry pickin . Juni makes me laugh , ah the ignorance of it all !

Bill

This response submitted by JEM on 11/5/04 at 9:40 AM. ( ) 64.179.71.115

was it just me, or did it happen to you as well? I get the D&C delivered only on Sat. & Sunday but the D&C was kind enough to deliver free copies during the Democratic convention. I didn't get any free copies during the Republican Convention thou.

To the winners, Cecil

This response submitted by Leslie on 11/5/04 at 11:43 AM. ( ) 70.179.158.85

Go the spoils of war.... :)

Brad

This response submitted by Evelyn on 11/5/04 at 1:48 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

you need to be careful with your copy and paste of articles. Copyright laws protect any part or portion of an article not just the complete article. Even just copying a paragraph is a violation of copyright. Thought I point this out to you and all the other copy and paste lovers.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu