Veteran Status

Submitted by Bill on 11/5/04 at 9:20 PM. ( ) 24.236.214.87

Just curious maybe some of you older ex-military can answer this. Why is it if you were in the military but not during wartime are you not really a veteran. I was in the Navy for five years lived in Europe on the sixth fleet flag ship out of Italy for two years but find when I apply for a job I don't qualify for any of the veterans preference for Government jobs. Today on the radio a local restaurant is having a veterans appreciation dinner and stated right in the ad if you are currently in the military or served during a time of war we would like to thank you with a free dinner. I wouldn't go anyway and don't want to sound like I'm whining but it just seems like your service doesn't count unless in an official time of war. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this that might have served as I did.

Thanks

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

VFW has just reconized the none war people.

This response submitted by John C on 11/5/04 at 9:39 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

YOu still have some veteran status for government jobs.
Combat Vets. have an additional 10 points, War Wounded Vets 5 more, Disabled Vets have another 5 points.

VA.gov may give you some info.
Also DAV.org

I was told if you have served on active duty

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/5/04 at 10:09 PM. ( ) 63.115.128.184

you are a veteran. At the same time I was told emphatically I was NOT a veteran because I had been in the ANG. That was quite a while back when I was inquiring about some job training that was available for veterans. However I understand the after Desert Storm NG memebers got benefits normally reserved for active duty. Now that NG makes up a big part of our military I would think that it is no more than right.

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/uscode/browse.html

This response submitted by John C on 11/5/04 at 10:37 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

You may be able to browse the link and findout more.

A veteran for pension purposes is a person who holds an honorable discharge from the military service of the United States and who served during the time periods shown in the chart below:

WAR ERA SERVICE DATES

World War II September 16, 1940 to December 31, 1946
Korean Conflict June 23, 1950 to January 31, 1955
Lebanon Crisis July 1, 1958 to November 1, 1958
Vietnam Conflict December 31, 1960 to May 7, 1975
Lebanon Peacekeeping Mission September 26, 1982 to December 1, 1987
Grenada Peackeeping Mission October 23, 1983 to November 21, 1983
Panama Peacekeeping Mission December 20, 1989 to January 31, 1990
Operation Desert Shield/Storm August 2, 1990 to February 28, 1991
Operation Restore Hope (Somalia) December 5, 1992 to March 31, 1994
Operation Joint Endeavor / Joint Guard (Bosnia and Herzegovina)November 20, 1995 to June 20, 1998
Operation Enduring Freedom - On or after September 11, 2001
Operation Iraqi Freedom - On or after March 19, 2003
Veteran status can be granted for World War II, the Korean Conflict or the Vietnam Conflict if the member had at least 90 days of continuous active military service as long as any part of the 90 days falls on or within the dates listed above.
For World War II, Chapter 389, P.L. 1991 extended the definition of a veteran to include any honorably discharged member of the American Merchant Marines who served during World War II and presents a DD-214 which establishes 90 days of continuous active service during the period noted above.

Veteran status for the Lebanon Crisis, the Grenada Peacekeeping Mission, the Lebanon Peacekeeping Mission, the Panama Peacekeeping Mission, Operation Desert Shield/Storm, Operation Restore Hope in Somalia, Operation Joint Endeavor/Joint Guard in Bosnia, Herzegovina, Operation Enduring Freedom, and Operation Iraqi Freedom requires that the member served in the country/region or on ships patrolling the territorial waters of these nations for at least 14 days.

If the start of the member's service began on or after the beginning date of the war era, veteran status will be granted as long as any part of the 14 days service falls on or within the dates listed above.

If the start of the member's service was prior to the beginning date of the war era, then the member must have served 14 days in the area within the dates specified for the conflict in order to be granted veteran status.

The 90 or 14-day requirement for service is not prescribed if the veteran was discharged because of a service-incurred disability.

Service with the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) and Women's Army Corps (WAC) qualifies for veteran status.

Absent Without Leave (AWOL) must be deducted from active service and if this reduces the active service to less than the 90 or 14-day service requirement, veteran status will be denied.

Veteran status cannot be granted if an individual received a dishonorable discharge, a discharge from the draft, disenrollment from the Coast Guard Reserve, or a discharge from the reserve with no evidence of active service in time of war.

Veteran status cannot be granted if the individual service was:

State Militia, National Gaurd never in harms way;
Student training corps during World War II;
Army of the Allies but not as a citizen of the United States at the time of such service;
Military service during peacetime;

Military service for training purposes. Also, courses of education and training under the Army Specialized Training Program or the Navy College Training Program where the courses were a continuation of the individual's civilian courses and were pursued to completion;
As a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies; or
Any military service performed pursuant to the provisions of Section 511 (d) of Title 10, United States Code, pursuant to enlistment in the Army National Guard or as a reserve for Service in the Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve.
E
STABLISHING VETERAN STATUS
Individuals wishing to establish veteran status with the retirement system should submit an Application for Veteran Designation for Pension (10kb PDF) and copies of their discharge papers (DD214) to:

Good information John

This response submitted by Cecil on 11/6/04 at 12:13 AM. ( ) 63.115.128.184

Everything but the kitchen sink. This should answer his Bill's question.

SOrry did mean to be a smart ass punk, hehe

This response submitted by JOhn C on 11/6/04 at 12:22 AM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

I understand sometimes things are a bit hard to find. Believe me I looked thru a good bit of info, reworded it and even some other things, but thats the best description I found.

One of my Buddies dropped by the house yesterday he was in Iraq with me in 1991. He just came back as a Army Reserve SSGT. in an Engineer Battalion.

I am glad I did not have to go this round. But you sure do worry if your friends had the right training.

what about the national defense medal

This response submitted by Dustin W. Newer on 11/6/04 at 2:03 AM. ( dustyn5@hotmail.com ) 24.116.28.82

When i joined the Air Force in june 93, we were given national defense medals since we signed up "during a time of war". I guess since technically we were still at war with iraq? We were allowed to wear these right out of basic training.

BILL

This response submitted by Jim on 11/6/04 at 8:43 AM. ( fish-on@ronan.net ) 206.183.120.27

I also served on the sixth fleet flagship for 4 years of my total 12 years Navy time. My dates of service fall into 4 of the catagorie's that John listed. I'm proud that I served my country, and I have a
DD 214 with an honorable discharge. If some cafe want's to tell me I'm not a veteran, they can keep their free meal! I got on the post office in 1995. You take the same test as everyone else, but disabled vets, and vets get listed on the register first. Your navy time can count for retirement, but you have to "buy it back". Good luck in your future endeavor's. Be proud....GO NAVY!

Thanks

This response submitted by Bill on 11/6/04 at 9:08 AM. ( ) 24.236.214.87

Didn't even realize I missed Desert Storm by about a month and a half. Bet I wouldn't have missed it had I been in one of the ground forces. Enjoyed my Navy time can't think of a better way to get out on your own without having to rely on the help of family to learn some of life's little lessons. Jim I was on the USS Belknap 1988-1990 home ported in Gaeta, Italy. There's a lot of good liberty ports over there.

national defense medal

This response submitted by John C on 11/6/04 at 12:22 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

I thin its been an Issue item since then. No orders are needed to cover the wearing.

Jim, I would just tell them to check my records!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu