Do any michigan taxidermist have good deer hunting?

Submitted by Randy Desormeau on 11/6/04 at 4:56 PM. ( ) 12.163.65.151

I am interested in hunting for a buck anywhere in michigan. I would trade some of my knowledge to anyone who could set me up on a hunt for a chance at a decent deer 6 point or bigger. My area in the eastern UP has no good bucks anymore. E-mail me northland@30below.com if interested. Thanks Randy D.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

OR

This response submitted by Wally on 11/6/04 at 6:21 PM. ( muthagoose@hotmail.com ) 216.251.183.74

Try the UPIofWI its located north of Orr Mn

South East Michigan

This response submitted by Mr. T on 11/6/04 at 7:30 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.245

None down here Randy, we carry binoculars just to see if the spikes are legal. Not really, 1 out of 10 farm bucks can be found decent to brag about. So far over 7 days, and 70 hours between the wife and I, I saw only 1 buck within 50 yards, my wife passed on 4 small racks, and tonight she missed a 2 year old nice 8 point that walked by me two minutes before it went to her. This is her first year hunting ever. How I wished she had gotten it. I would have done a life size. The lower limb of her bow slapped the arm rest of her stand we she shot. She is ready to try again tomorrow am.

Mr T

This response submitted by b bishop/ Republican on 11/6/04 at 7:34 PM. ( ) 65.73.67.185

Hunted with a guy last year in central IL that had the same thing happen to him only it was a 180 class buck ! ouch !

Ouch is right

This response submitted by Mr. T on 11/6/04 at 8:06 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.245

That would hurt even more. I was surprised after 25 years of marriage, my wife wanted to bow hunt this year. I bought her a bow in May and she shot weekly (very weekly, ha ha) then in July she started getting very good. I am confident that she would have stuck that buck, but that is the price of paying dues. She still has beginner's luck going for her.
What impressed me most is that she chose to pass up two spikes, a small six, and a small 7 pointer.
Randy D, you may have to pay some $ to get the big buck from a pen. I'd offer you a hunt, but the ten-acre woods would be crowded with the three of us, and like I said, 70 hours to see 1 buck. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Another thought

This response submitted by Mr. T on 11/6/04 at 8:15 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.245

I have a brother in law that says the same thing, that "there aren't any good bucks to shoot.) He cries that the neighbors shoot all of the big ones, and all he gets is 3's, 4 and 5 pointers. That is the problem, he shoots the first thing that walks by, he never passes on any of them, if it has a bone on it, he shoots it. I use to be like that, but now I pass on the teen-age bucks. If I want meat, I harvest a doe.

wolf hunt

This response submitted by inside curve on 11/6/04 at 9:07 PM. ( ) 209.94.177.210

Been hunting the UP all my life more wolves than deer now. Michigan DNR sucks, and they make cracks about the wolf problem. No kidding it is very bad. Hunted again last year saw more wolves than deer

Wow

This response submitted by Mr. T on 11/6/04 at 9:40 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.245

Never thought of that, we have no preditors down here, a few coyotes, we have tons of deer, just very few quality bucks. We never hear of bucks fighting due to the abundance of does. A buck fight around here is rare and a treat to watch. Doe to buck ratio seems to be 40 to 1.
Why do we need wolves? we cant eat them. Let Alaska and Canada have them, they got the room for them.

Traverse City Area

This response submitted by Bill on 11/6/04 at 11:13 PM. ( ) 24.236.214.87

Since baiting started here The quality bucks seem to be nocturnal. People I talk with see good bucks with a spot light but see nothing but young bucks during legal hunting hours. The last three years I have only seen 4 deer total on opening day where I used to generally see about 20 every year. Luckily for me 3 of the four were bucks all small though. My brother lived in Hulbert which is not far from you from what I understand. During deer season there would be nothing around but come January he would literally have hundreds of deer passing through his yard every day. My dad went up there last January and said the racks were amazing huge 8 points, some 10's, and even saw a twelve point. He lived by some bar there that feeds the deer all winter. I wish I knew where they were in November. I don't know if there is a migration or where they all come from.

Bill

This response submitted by Randy D. on 11/7/04 at 8:02 AM. ( ) 12.163.66.179

Yes you are wright. That is where a lot of the deer migrate to in hulbert. But they come from a at least a 60 mile raditus in that area so he is seeing a big part of the heard there. That is where they winter. Yes we do have a ton of wolfs up here now compared even to 5 years ago. 20 years ago up here a wolf was un heard of. The DNR is out to almost elimet the deer heard in michigan because of the insurance companys and the farmers complaning of crop damage. The problem here is there are very few car deer crashes compared to 15 years ago and there are no crops in this area. Also we need QDM so we can have some breeder bucks again in this area. Every year the 1 and a half year old buck gets taken. So a lot of our does dont even get breed. Randy

UP hunting...

This response submitted by Drew on 11/7/04 at 8:16 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.230

I have been hunting the Eastern end of the UP for the last 3 years in a row. I decided it sucked too bad to go back this year. My dad and his inlaws have 160 acres kind of near Pickford/Stalwart. It really sucked up there so I decided to not go which pissed him off. I did not even see a deer the last two seasons so I used my vacation time this year to hunt deer here in Colorado and I got a decent 166bc buck. Not my biggest, but 166 inches bigger than what I would have seen in the UP. You need to hunt the eastern end near Iron Mountain etc.

Randy Needs to be working on my buck

This response submitted by tjays on 11/16/04 at 11:43 AM. ( ) 155.79.138.253

Hey Randy, don"t worry about hunting them big bucks just keep working on the one in your shop. LOL, enjoy the season it only comes once a year.

tjays

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu