A way to catch squirrels without damaging the hides

Submitted by Tikki"The Birdman"Johnson on 1/9/05 at 7:26 PM. ( ) 62.132.1.121

HEy guys you gotta check this out. I got alot of knowledge and I thought I might as well share with the folks out here in the internet. So stop the typing and listen up because you will learn something.

THe first topic I am going to look at is getting squirrels without putting a bullet hole in the hide. I knows alots of people got a problem. THey thinking 'How I am going get that squirrel without putting holes in that pretty fur?'

Well, heres what you gotta do. It is best to do this someplace like a university or in the suberbs because those squirrels are tame. I mean tame. I came up with this on my own. What you do is just walk where they are tame. At this one college I go to, you can walk right up to them. They don't move. You might want to wear gloves with this. Just grab it right on the back of the head. HOld it firm now. Have a five gallon bucket filled with water. Have a lid. Open the lid up and throw the squirrel in it. Close the lid and find another one it stops moving around and drowns. You don't want to put another one in and have them fight and destroy the hide.

See what I mean? Easy solution to a tough problem.

DOn't worry about being polite, I know you are welcome.

Birdman

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I use

This response submitted by cur on 1/9/05 at 7:38 PM. ( ) 4.227.119.104

A squirrel swatter.

I Fish for them

This response submitted by TR on 1/9/05 at 8:26 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.135

I troll for them and use acorns for bait

Tikki"The Birdman"Johnson

This response submitted by Mr. T on 1/9/05 at 9:46 PM. ( ) 64.31.7.87

Wonderful idea there Birdman, do you need a small game license to do this style of ( squirrel hunting ) ? Be sure to show the local DNR officer this technique. He may ask you to demonstrate you're brilliant idea, then he will show you some of his ideas about you're in-depth thoughts.

Tikki"The Birdman"Johnson

This response submitted by Mr. T on 1/9/05 at 9:51 PM. ( ) 64.31.7.87

Just what do you do at that collage you go to? Mow the lawn and dump the trashcans? Thank you for sharing you're,,,, I.Q.,,,, or I mean, knowledge.

A better way

This response submitted by - on 1/9/05 at 9:52 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.48

110 or 160/180 (1 spring or 2 springs, 4" jaw spread) bodygrip trap about 3' up in a tree (avoids cats), in front of a "newspaper box" or 4" PVC pipe cut to suit, baited with peanut butter. Drops 'em dead every time and no pelt damage.
(grabbing a squirrel by the back of the head could get you bitten, clawed, both, or cause a rub spot as the squirrel thrashes, not to mention the fleas that will jump on you as you grab that animal.)

Not me!

This response submitted by Tony J. on 1/10/05 at 7:31 AM. ( ) 208.159.223.90

Not to be confused with Tony Johnson "birdman" Johnson Taxidermy Studio East Ky. As plentiful as squirrels are just shoot 4 or 5 and pick the best ones for mounting! Fix that hole son! lol
Great idea on the trap though!

Tony J.

Yall are way wrong !

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/10/05 at 11:20 AM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I stands under their trees and when one pops his head out , I chunk my trusty squirrel chunkin' rock at him . POW ! Then I just pick him up and tuck his tail under my belt . LOL
Learn't that from Jerry Clower and it works too ! Bradlee

Bradlee, been there, done that

This response submitted by Gantry on 1/10/05 at 11:50 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.150

Yoose to do the same thing, but I was tearing them up too much, so I had to start throwing the chunkin'rock with my left hand... that got so easy that I ended up letting the females go for brood stock, and just threw the rock left handed at the males.....

here in westvirginia

This response submitted by charles on 1/10/05 at 12:01 PM. ( ) 207.69.138.202

your only allowed to shoot male squirrels been that way for a few years now.

Wild and Wonderful squirrel hunting

This response submitted by I know I know and I ain't biting Gantry on 1/10/05 at 12:24 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.150

Charles, it ain't state law here or nuttin, just practicing good conservation, you know preservation of the species, it only makes good sense to chuck a rock only at the males

I 'm with ya Gantry

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/10/05 at 12:37 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

Gots ta save them females for breedin'. I hits too hard right or left handed so I chunks my squirrel rock with my feet . LOL I still hits myself sometimes but am gettin' better at it ! Bradlee

Bradlee you from

This response submitted by Gantry on 1/10/05 at 1:05 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.91

The only people I know who chuck rocks at male squirrels with their feet are a bunch of hillbillies from around Fairbury

LOL Gantry

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/10/05 at 1:27 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

Nope but been there ! I am on the river by Spring Bay . Us river folk do weird things . Bradlee

I went there to race a few times

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/10/05 at 1:30 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I ran there a few times on the dirt track in my old Chevy stock car .
Was a blast. Bradlee

yall need to come to texas

This response submitted by barney on 1/23/05 at 9:41 AM. ( ) 66.205.116.100

where we just clime the tree reach in the hole and grab there tail pull them out and slam them against the the tree must be fast for this one so you dont get rubberband action on you

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu