OK, Mr. Smart A$$ Gantry

Submitted by cur on 1/10/05 at 10:35 PM. ( ) 4.252.240.198

Name this tune:

An African mammal. Medium sized, mistaken for the bongo by the uninitiated. Was one of the few mammals protected from hunters by war. A rare trophy, and the only species of note that I have never seen in the wild. Hunters compare hunting it to hunting elk. Name it.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Nyala?

This response submitted by - on 1/10/05 at 10:45 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.42

Nyala look like them but they are not found in the same biome.

You and Gantry are both very good at your web searches!

Another smarta$$

This response submitted by Am I close? on 1/10/05 at 10:45 PM. ( ) 12.76.214.53

The only known living relative of the giraffe, the okapi was first described to western science by P. L. Sclater in 1901. Henry Stanley first penetrated the dense Ituri Forest of the Congo in 1890, exposing the existence of the okapi in his book "In Darkest Africa". In his writings, he remarked of his surprise when the native Wambutti pygmies didn't marvel at his horses, saying that they sometimes caught a donkey-like animal in their pits, which they called o'api (misinterpreted by Stanley as atti). Rumours of this strange, ass-like animal reached Sir Johnston, which spurred him to make a journey into the Congo in 1899. After winning the confidence of the Wambutti, Johnston was able to learn more about the mysterious atti - including its real name. After hearing its description - a dark brown animal resembling a donkey with striped legs - Johnston was sure that the o'api was a species of forest zebra still awaiting a scientific description. Later that year, in the Belgian Fort at Mbeni, Johnston was able to obtain two headbands, made from the striped pieces of okapi skins, which he sent to the Zoological Society of London in 1900. From these pieces of skin, an announcement of a new species - Equus? johnstoni - was made. Back in the Congo, Johnston was shown a set of tracks by the natives which they insisted were made by an okapi. However, as the tracks were cloven-hoofed, Johnston dismissed them as they did not fit his notion that the okapi was a member of the horse family. Meanwhile Karl Eriksson, Commandant at Fort Mbeni, was able to secure a complete skin and two skulls, which he sent to Johnston. Armed with these findings, Johnston wrote back to the Zoological Society of London, sending the priceless cargo along. The skulls were the key to the puzzle, allowing scientists to determine that this new species was not a horse, but a forest giraffe. Okapi is a corruption of the native name o'api. Sir Harry H. Johnston (1858-1927), explorer and author, discovered the okapi while in the Colonial Administration of British Central Africa.

Start with a "S" ?

This response submitted by Bill Paterson on 1/10/05 at 10:50 PM. ( ) 199.243.21.71

Cur,

-Have several possibilities, but don't want to give away (yet)

i got it.......... maybe

This response submitted by Croc on 1/10/05 at 10:52 PM. ( ) 162.39.24.192

sitatunga?

nope nope nope

This response submitted by cur on 1/10/05 at 11:05 PM. ( ) 4.252.240.198

Sitatunga is a swamp critter
nyala is a savannah and low bush critter
Okapi is, well, just plain wierd

Smarta$$ revealed

This response submitted by daveP on 1/10/05 at 11:13 PM. ( ) 12.76.214.53

That leaves only the bushbuck:

Bushbuck may be active throughout the 24 hours of the day, although they tend to be nocturnal near human settlements. Using trails through dense jungle, the bushbuck ranges through a restricted "home" area, which may be only a few hundred meters / yards across. These home ranges overlap extensively, and it has been noted that the greater the population density, the smaller these home ranges are. Savannah densities have been recorded as over 25 animals per square kilometer, while forest densities are much smaller - only 4 animals per square kilometer. Males compete fiercely for females in estrous, but they are not territorial. Confrontations between males are composed of displaying and charging, followed by the locking of horns and vigorous twisting in an attempt to throw the opponent off balance. Stabbing with the horns has also been noted. The bushbuck is an excellent jumper, clearing 2 meter / 6.5 feet tall fences with ease, and swims well. The call resembles the bark of a dog.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This response submitted by gantry on 1/10/05 at 11:16 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.161

Tragelaphus eurycerus isaaci

try

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/10/05 at 11:21 PM. ( ) 67.138.11.11

rereading your description, sir cur...you didnt tell us WHAT terrain it IS from, so we cant pick a right OR wrong one! I was gonna say the Mountain Nyala...

says like elk hunting so I am in the mountains of Africa

This response submitted by gantry on 1/10/05 at 11:26 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.161

mountain bongo
or
Mountain Nyala

Synonyms for Tragelaphus eurycerus...

This response submitted by daveP on 1/10/05 at 11:28 PM. ( ) 12.76.214.53

include isaaci, albovirgatus, cooperi, and katanganus

heres rare , like in hens teeth

This response submitted by gantry on 1/10/05 at 11:31 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.161

bontebok Damaliscus dorcas
Have you seen one of these Mon Cur

Of the Genus Tragelaphus

This response submitted by daveP on 1/10/05 at 11:38 PM. ( ) 12.76.214.53

We have good representation here:
bongo, bushbuck, mt. nyala, nyala, lesser kudu, kudu, sitatunga.

Got to be mountain nyala.

gant

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/10/05 at 11:38 PM. ( ) 67.138.11.11

Elk hunting leaves it wide open still, Id guess timber, but thats still no given. Cur usually is very specific, so I thought perhaps he simply overlooked posting the description for terrain, etc. while trying to stump the mighty GANT!

one other non huntable mountian antelope

This response submitted by gantry on 1/10/05 at 11:40 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.161

Cephalophus jentinki

That duiker resembles a tapir

This response submitted by daveP on 1/10/05 at 11:47 PM. ( ) 12.76.214.53

Can't be the one

one rare one left

This response submitted by eg on 1/10/05 at 11:52 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.161

hirola the Hunter's Hartebeest

Cephalophus rubidus

This response submitted by daveP on 1/10/05 at 11:53 PM. ( ) 12.76.214.53

Found in the mountains along the Ugandan- Congo border, but probably too small too fit the description.

OK, ok

This response submitted by cur on 1/10/05 at 11:56 PM. ( ) 4.252.240.198

Clues were, "like elk hunting"....and where do elk live? Not on the plains..well at least not any longer.

And the war in Ethiopia kept it's range closed to western hunters for years, which is why it is the only major game mammal in Africa that I didn't thump during my five safaris....couldn't go there. The war kept the roads to those mountains unsafe for passage. That is the one animal that I lived to hunt when I was chasing around the planet.

OK, same size, almost,as the bongo, same horn set......Bill hit it first, and Gantry named every species in the genus but one, Tragelaphus buxtoni - The Mountain Nyala...

Sorry couldn't accept just Nyala, because that term refers to the Southern Nyala, which is much smaller and I have thumped....in fact a huge one.

And this didn't come from the web...in fact, my tests don't come from the web, they come from my pin head or my reference books....sos the answers are not easy to locate on the web.....

Cephalaphus zebra

This response submitted by daveP on 1/10/05 at 11:56 PM. ( ) 12.76.214.53

Found in Sierra Leone, naw still too little only 40 pounds or so.

Bontebok is like blesbok

This response submitted by cur on 1/11/05 at 12:09 AM. ( ) 4.252.240.198

Only the white blaze on the face is different. I shot a couple of Blesbok but never a Bontebok.

True the blaze

This response submitted by daveP on 1/11/05 at 12:13 AM. ( ) 12.76.214.53

is different and the bontebuck has a white rump around the tail (and the lower legs are a light color) where the blesbuck's rump is the same color as the back of the animal.

cur

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/11/05 at 12:31 AM. ( ) 67.138.8.77

I just get a kick out of watching you get after Elmer. I recall reading a book that did mention the war protecting an animal like this, but I dont remember which one...book OR animal. The Mountain Nyala was a guess on my part, due to the heavy terrain and the fact that you dont hear of many guys getting them or seeing them in collections. I still stand aside for Gantry-knowledge.

Bill

This response submitted by cur on 1/11/05 at 12:37 AM. ( ) 4.252.240.198

I tried to set up three different hunts for that animal. during the years I tried, I only knew of two being taken. The safari was a tough one, through guerilla areas and a platoon of soldiers went along. Every time I got a hunt arranged, crap happened and my hunt was cancelled. I still think about going now and then, just to say I did. Trouble is, that I don't have the zeal I used to have for the hunt and the kill. Guess I will leave my trophy to the next generation.

And I have to get after Gantry......hell, he is a menance....man does know his stuff....but I will get him, sooner or later....

With my eyesight they all l@@k like bongos

This response submitted by 20-20G on 1/11/05 at 12:48 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.161

Cur yellar back duikered me, I was playing with my 1954 model winky dink, pondering the world of osmosis... when all this madness started....does this mean I am no longer a smart a$$?

20-20

This response submitted by cur on 1/11/05 at 11:24 AM. ( ) 4.226.228.103

There are around 10-13 species of duiker, depending on the taxon authority. There is also the yellow-livered duiker which is never seen because it hides all the time. I have seen bunches of the little critters, and passed up shots at them during my first Safari. Just didn't seem right to bust one of them with a .375. Second time I took along my 22/250 and collected several.

They eat pretty good, but I don't think they make much of a trophy. Only ones worth mounting are the C. silvicultor and the C. zebra. When they are grazing along in medium length grass, their back shape reminds me of feral hogs when their heads are down.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu