Thanks for the cougar insite

Submitted by Mark on 1/12/05 at 10:42 AM. ( markandchris@chilitech.net ) 4.156.231.40

Thanks to everyone for the answers to my question about if a buck I found was killed by a cougar or not. Especially Jim.
The deer was laying about ten ft. from a beaver medow that has ben over grown by hard hack ( extremely thick and hard to get through ) . The ground around around the deer was covered with moss and I didn't think to look for tracks. I had never seen anything like this and was quite taken by it. The body appeared to be consumed evenly from the hind quarters to the base of the neck. There was no debrise on the carcus just a covering of hair. The longest distance you could see from the carcus was about 25 yards.In most places you couldn't see 5 or 10 yards.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Mark,

This response submitted by Jim B on 1/12/05 at 1:32 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.133

you never did say which state it was in.As I said before,bobcat kills look like this too.I doubt if a bobcat would kill that big a deer,but they will feed on a hunter killed animal and will cover it.One tip off with bobcats is that most of the feeding is on the top side.It can't flip the deer over like a mountain lion to get to the underside.Bobcats love the thick cover and new and old beaver diggings.The first one of these I found was in April in WV.Later in the day we found a second one about 1/2 mile away,looked to be about one week older kill.Those were bobcat kills.I was in awe too.The deer we found that day were yearlings,weakened by a severe winter and deep snows.I can't say without seeing the kill,but there is a good chance it was a bobcat feeding on it.

To Jim B

This response submitted by Mark on 2/1/05 at 1:28 PM. ( ) 4.156.231.117

I live in northeastern Pa.The buck wich something was feeding on was 2.5 to 3.5 years of age.I could find no evidence the deer had ben shot but that doesn't mean it wasn't.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu