how do i become a taxidermist?

Submitted by Michael Blackburn on 1/12/05 at 11:04 AM. ( Michael.Blackburn1@us.army.mil ) 81.31.193.170

hi, i'm Mike Blackburn i have always had an interest in taxidermy and was wandering how one gets started? i am from paintsville ky, and was wandering do you have to go to some sort of school? any help would be great thanks
mike

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

lots of schools

This response submitted by Trophy Hunter Taxidermy on 1/12/05 at 11:18 AM. ( ) 69.66.94.216

Really depends on your budget. But schools in my opinion are far better than any video you can buy. There's no substitute for a qualified taxidermist looking over your sholder. Check into the Northeast Iowa School of Taxidermy (Matuska Taxidermy Studio). Tom is one of the best teachers out there. I could spend hours telling you how good this school is.

Depends

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/12/05 at 11:21 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.154

Some of us are self taught and have never gone to a school or workshop.

Albeit a little slower you can learn the proper techniques by the use of books and videos and attending your state, or national, orworld show seminiars, competing etc. Pratice, Practic, Practic. That is what I did.

If you choose this route the Breakthrough manuals are tops (sold by most major suppliers) and their is a pelethra of videos out there.

You can also attend schools and workshops which are listed on top of this screen. Be aware no matter how good the school is (they vary) you still will only have the basics when you graduate and you will have to improve from there. You skill level will improve the more you do taxidermy (if you desire to improve and compete at the shows).

A few have gone the apprentice route but I really don't think they are that common.

In some rare cases you will find a taxidermist in your area that will be glad to help you out, however, that is quite rare due to the fact that he or she is training potential competition. Would you expect a McDonalds to train another McDonalds if it came into town?

If it was me I would purchase a few books and rent a few videos and give it a shot first. (See Suppliers above) It may not be what you thought it was and you could save you self a hunk of change if you had gone to a school and found this out. Lots of folks have had grand dreams of doing taxidermy and found out they just couldn't get the hang of it or it was much more work than they anticipated.

That'd be

This response submitted by cur on 1/12/05 at 11:47 AM. ( ) 4.227.11.222

Johnson County, right? Well, I'm a KY feller that has been held captive in Texas for the past 12 years. I'll help you any way I can. There is another up and coming young KY taxi not far from you in Rowan County that may be able to help you over a few humps.

Just email me and we will start a correspondence course here and now. Offer not good for folks north of the Ohio River, West or South of the Cumberland, and East of the Big Sandy....LOL...

wildart@prodigy.net

my .02

This response submitted by Griz on 1/12/05 at 1:48 PM. ( ) 69.66.85.110

knowledge is fairly easy to come by.... you just need to do it. Don't try to practice on clients specimens or anything, but start practicing on something! And don't worry if the first bird or squirrel or deer you do doesn't look the greatest. Get a basic understanding of the process and then worry about what it looks like---or honing your skills. Knowledge is the least of your concerns, this site is full of it. You just got to get some "seat time", so to speak. Get something mounted- and when you are halfway through it and it looks like crap, don't worry, it looks better when it is sewed up, groomed up, and dried out. But get something under your belt. Then either practice practice practice, or you will know if taxidermy is for you or not. Lots of times taxidermy isn't really what people are interested in, mounted specimens are what they are interested in. Which is all well and good

Michael

This response submitted by Alex on 1/12/05 at 11:40 PM. ( ) 66.32.151.235

Are you from Ohio?

Mike,

This response submitted by Tony J. on 1/13/05 at 8:21 AM. ( birdman27 ) 208.159.223.70

You have mail! I live in Wolfe Co. and am an officer in the KTA (middle man lol) I will help ya any way I can!

thanks for all the help fella's

This response submitted by mike on 1/13/05 at 11:40 AM. ( Michael.Blackburn@us.army.mil ) 81.31.193.170

thanks for all the info guys i appreciate it. in the Breakthrough books there were so many of them where would you prefer i begin?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu