Virus infected computer

Submitted by Glen Conley on 1/13/05 at 3:00 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.104.96.68

Someone with my name and e-mail address, and George Roof's name, and e-mail address in combination on their computer is putting out WORM_NETSKY.J virus attachments. Odds are good that it is someone on the Forums.

Go to hidetanning.net, and hook up to the FREE virus scan. Click the Auto Clean box when that option appears.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Another great virus guard ....

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/13/05 at 3:37 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

Is called AntiVir personal edition . Easy to download and install and it runs at all times when your computer is running . They usually have updates for it every five days . It is free . I run it and haven't gotten a trojan or virus scince ! Here is the link for you guys and gals . http://www.free-av.com/
I hate virus and trojans ! Bradlee

Glen, you're going to have to do a little better....

This response submitted by George on 1/13/05 at 3:59 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.135

..for us computer illiterates. I clicked on your hyperlink and then clicked on "free virus scan". End of story. I got a homepage for a company SELLING the scans but no "automatic scan" option.

George

This response submitted by Asher on 1/13/05 at 5:20 PM. ( asherdym@charter.net ) 68.116.62.142

Click the orange button! LOL, just kidding .... that sight tha you're taken to in trend micro and they do sell virus protection but they also offer virus scans. Search around a little on that main page and you'll see free scan or online scan, then just follow the direction from there. I just did it last night and worked great.

For my fellow computer illiterates,

This response submitted by Ye Olde Village Computer Illiterate aka Glen on 1/13/05 at 5:31 PM. ( ) 70.104.96.68

when you click on the link that sez FREE virus scan, you will get a header at the top of a blank page. That will indicate the pattern file is downloading into your computer. That will take very few minutes with a high speed connection, to as much as 20-30 minutes with a slow dial-up service.

Once the program has downloaded, a dialogue (us old guys called such things "instructions") will appear. Simply follow the prompts (instructions).

Check Auto Clean when that option appears.

It will take some time for the program to run through your whole system. I hooked up last night and it took about an hour and a half. Even though my anti-virus program is updated "as available", I still feel more comfortable with a "second opinion".

It will help if you empty out cookies, history, and temporary internet files, and also empty out recycle bin, and then restart your computer before hooking up.

This virus scan only checks your computer to see if it is infected, don't forget, click on Auto Clean, it DOES NOT give you ongoing protection. You will need a program like Bradlee referred to for ongoing protection.

You can also get free virus newsletters, and alerts, from Trend Micro while you are on that page on hidetanning.net. Both those are worth subscribing to, and ya gotta admit, the price is right.

George was just thinking like a young guy, "What's taking that micro-wave so long?".

I resemble that remark

This response submitted by George on 1/13/05 at 6:09 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

No wonder I quit. It was just another liberal plot to make be invest in a high speed connection instead of my dial up. Why, if I have to wait 30 whole minutes for it to download, I could take a power nap instead.

Not Me Uncle G !

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 1/14/05 at 12:24 AM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 205.188.116.135

Just scannned 29,000 files and came up clean. McAfee, Microsoft updates, and firewalls are good things to have. Didn't at one time. And George, if you haven't upgraded to 9.0 security edition, you might want to consider it. It's great. Jeff F.

Jeepers!

This response submitted by marty on 1/14/05 at 9:30 AM. ( ) 24.15.106.112

If you shop around, with rebates you can get Norton for about $20 bucks.

For the record, I don't fully agree with Glen on the cleaning house procedures. Your cookies, history and temp internet files - (compared to all the other crap most of us have on our boxes) take up a relatively insignificant amount of space. Plus, you don't want to be zapping all of your temp. internet files as keeping the regularly used ones will SPEED UP the time it takes to access these websites in the future.

You should be running some anti-virus software all of the time. What's the use to scan to see if you have a virus IF you're not planning on purchasing the protection to have all the time?

Furthermore, I think the fear of the unknown really hits home with a lot of computer users. If running quality A.V. software the threat of a virus in my opinion is truly exaggerated. XP has it's own built in Firewall now. I have been running Norton for 10 years and I can count the number of viruses I've had on 1 hand in those ten years. 1 virus. And that was because one of my kids opened an email attachment they shouldn't have.

Personally, I wouldn't download a "free" anti-virus program. Don't know the specifics behind it, nor do I care. My feelings are nothing is for free. Again, you should all be running some A.V. software anyway. And at $20 bucks for a years subscribtion to a well known, well supported A.V. program, really sounds like a no-brainer to me...

For the record, I don't agree with marty.

This response submitted by Glen on 1/14/05 at 9:58 AM. ( ) 70.104.96.68

We have been able to clean up a number of computers each time I have came on here with posts of this nature. I think you will find it archieved.

As you are basing your remarks on personal experience, so am I, as are the remarks that you could probably find archieved.

The virus scan provided by Trend Micro has caught back door trojans, and worms that has made it through other securities.

The bulk of the visitors here are not running XP, if you had bothered to look things up, 95 is the most likely to be affected by the virus that I just posted the warning on. 98 users still out number all the rest.

Nothing is for free, huh?

How much did it just cost you to read this message?

For the record, I don't agree with Glen...

This response submitted by marty on 1/14/05 at 11:53 PM. ( ) 24.15.101.58

...NOT agreeing with me - lol!

First off, how much space is going to be gained from zapping all your temporary internet files? People should have their number of days saved set at a reasonable timeframe and autozap the ones they're not using. Also setting a size limitation not to exceed. By zapping ALL of your temporary internet files on a regular basis you are in effect making your computer work more (translation = slower) so what's the purpose? This is the one area we definitely disagree on.

I fully agree that people should be running some anti-virus software. But that was really the whole other point to my post. Here's a review of Trend Micro I found on the internet that pretty much hits home the point I was trying to make (which is why bother if you're not going to run A.V. software all the time anyway?)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Online Tool Reviews:
Free Online Virus Scan by Trend Micro
Have you read my rants about antivirus software? It seems every program I try creates as much (or more) trouble than the viruses they're supposed to stop, so I decided to try something different: a free online virus scan, courtesy of Trend Micro, makers of PC Cillan.

In many ways, an online scan is an inferior solution. It can't stop a virus from getting onto your computer in the first place, and regular virus checks can't be scheduled to happen automatically. As long as you don't remember to visit the website, a virus could be sitting on your computer sending copies of itself to your friends, slowing down your computer or corrupting your important data.

Those drawbacks are in addition to slow servers or connections and bad traffic making the online service seem to take forever. Also, there is no "resume" feature if something happens to your internet connection (or theirs) along the way.

On the positive side, you control when each scan happens. It isn't sitting in the background all the time, using your system resources and potentially screwing up your email delivery or even crashing your computer.

Trend Micro's free online virus scan offers a "Virus Knowledge Quiz" to take while your computer is being scanned, but I just left it going while I went to lunch.

If you don't have virus protection software or want to find out if your software missed something, try the free online virus scan at TrendMicro.com.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

There ya have it. An independent review of this stuff. You folks make the choice. Find out about viruses AFTER they're on your box and spend countless hours repairing or replacing data. OR, spend $20 bucks and get 24/7/365 protection so a virus doesn't get on your box in the first place.

C'mon Glen - a general post about somebody possibly having a virus on their box? Gimme a break! I, (and a gazillion others) get a half a dozen of these emails every day! (Why don't you just admit that it was a blatant advertisement to get folks to visit your website - lol!)

marty, apparently you are a little lacking on being able

This response submitted by Glen on 1/15/05 at 10:49 AM. ( ) 70.104.96.68

to correlate cause and effect. Read my original post again. If you still have trouble understanding, maybe either I, or someone else can walk you through.

See the ORANGE button to the left?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Enter: Virus survivor story.

Gimme a break, a copy and paste off the internet being representive of an "independent review"?

Do the search and get an independent review. I'm sure you could find more independent reviews in the archives with the right search terms.

too funny glen!

This response submitted by marty on 1/15/05 at 5:02 PM. ( ) 24.15.101.58

Don't have the time to search a gazillion other independent views. This just so happened to be the 3rd or 4th hit I got when researching "Trend Micro". (Perhaps this article stated "Trend Micro" a gazillion times - lol). Either way, it was just another person's view on the subject supporting my view (that finding out about a virus after the fact is analagous to finding out you have cancer vs. quiting smoking BEFORE you get it).

What about your feelings on the temporary internet files that I mentioned saving? Why don't YOU do an independent search on that?

Apparently I tickled a little nerve here Glen. [By your opening slam on my (lack of) intelligence.] That's always a good way to get your point across (lol). My comment about you soliciting this website to get traffic to yours was tongue and cheek by the way - but you have to admit that there is some truth to it (otherwise you would have provided a link directly to MicroTrend eh?)

I think you're just mad at me cuz I'm too lazy to write an article for your website! (also t & c btw) ;)

You're darn straight I'm mad,

This response submitted by Glen on 1/15/05 at 5:29 PM. ( ) 70.104.96.68

where's the article at?

Temporary internet files, cookies, and history. You're going to have to read the original post again and put that in context. Deleting of the same cuts down on virus scan time.

I delete all three of the above on a real regular basis. If I want to return to a site, I bookmark it. If it is a site that utilizes cookies, such as search engines, you're going to get a new one as soon as you hook up to the site.

Yeah, you did hit a nerve with me. I come on here trying to help others out that do not understand computer function, let alone viruses, worms, and trojans. Many of these people do not have ten years experience, and they may well also have e-mail contacts, making them more likely to wind up with a fried computer.

Linking? Don't know how to make it any easier for those that don't know how to navigate. Ken provided the hidetanning.net link, Trend Micro provided a condensed version of what they offer, which includes sales of anti-virus programs, plus the free virus scan.

If they should have a virus, worm, or trojan, I think you will find the AUTO CLEAN function will eliminate the same, and restore the corrupt file. How many computer literates do you know that can do that?

Did you read the Virus Survivor Story in the archives? If that doesn't get the point across to anyone, nothing will.

Okay, I'll agree with (some) of your points...

This response submitted by marty on 1/15/05 at 8:25 PM. ( ) 24.15.101.58

Here's a link to the article/review I found that was in the top few hits. PC magazine rated their software as fair. Confusing user interface and some weak spots were hilighted. Plus at $44.95 (if I'm looking at the right package) is a bit pricey. Unless of course they regularly offer rebates like Norton does. Norton in my opinion is one of the easier A.V. programs to the average operator.

http://www.busymarketing.com/scan.shtml

Yes, I did finally run a search and found the above archive you spoke of. The key in that issue was Dave let his Norton A.V. software expire. Perhaps I was a bit off base as I didn't realize the Micro Trend stuff would auto remove viruses for free. I thought it only detected them and then you had to purchase their A.V. software to remove it.

I like to see my hilited posts. So I want to save my temp. int. files. That, and accessing frequently visited websites will be quicker. A trade-off when it comes to running your A.V. software admittedly (by leaving them out there). But, I don't watch my Norton run. I leave my box on all day and Friday nights it runs all by itself. So I'll take that trade-off. I think it takes Norton about 45 seconds to get thru my undeleted t.i.files. For me (with a cable connection) this time is insignificant either way. But for people with dial up modems, I believe they should be keeping their t.i. files to speed up access time.

The bottom line to the overall point I was trying to make is (especially with a lot of non-computer-friendly folks here) was to stress the importance of purchasing and running good A.V. software vs. offering patches after the horse has already bitten their arses. The above tool sounds like a valuable tool to remove viruses. But if everybody was diligent about forking out $20 bucks for A.v. software then the above tool would rarely be needed...

Ahem. Ahem.

This response submitted by Glen on 1/15/05 at 10:01 PM. ( ) 70.104.96.68

And the article is where?

I'm not asking about the address you posted. You know which one.

I'm not sure what you're talking about Glen...

This response submitted by marty on 1/16/05 at 11:51 AM. ( ) 24.15.108.38

The link to the article is above. And the actual article is cut and paste further above...

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu