for south dakota hunters

Submitted by Griz on 1/13/05 at 5:37 PM. ( )

I heard on a radio station this morning (i'm in iowa by the way), that South Dakota CRP (conservation Reserve Program) Landowners are required to let the public hunt at freewill. Is this true, or partly true, or what. Maybe if their is someone from south dakota could tell me the specifics and maybe how it is working out for them. Thx in advance.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

South dakota walk in program

This response submitted by Jason on 1/13/05 at 6:10 PM. ( )

A person has to have permission to hunt CRP. There is a walk-in program, where the landowner is paid to let people hunt. I think they are paid up to $5 a acre. Game and fish puts signs around the property stating that it is a walk-in area. Hope that helps.

NOT true!

This response submitted by dex on 1/13/05 at 6:13 PM. ( )

We have a walk-in program in which the landowner gets paid by the state to allow walk-in use of their land. CRP land obtains a higher payment from the state but, if they don't sign up for the walk-in program their land is private and permission must be obtained from the owner.

Any idea?

This response submitted by Doug on 1/13/05 at 6:46 PM. ( )

Where I could find out where such walk-in lands are besides driving all over the state looking for signs? Does the state have records of such properties where walk-ins are OK? I'm from Michigan and really would like to go to back to SD to hunt coyotes this winter. Walk-in lands would likely be less pressured than public property. Thanks.


This response submitted by Troy on 1/13/05 at 7:15 PM. ( )

Doug, Check out this link and click on SD Walk In atlas and that should get you what you need.


This response submitted by Troy on 1/13/05 at 7:39 PM. ( )

If you email your mailing address, I could mail you one of my Walk-In atlases. The atlas is good through the Spring of 2005.


thx for the info

This response submitted by Griz on 1/13/05 at 8:09 PM. ( )

i was hoping i would get good answers like this instead of having to research it :) i appreciate it


This response submitted by Alex on 1/13/05 at 9:21 PM. ( )

It is as some has said, private farms that do not have the walk in sign and a box to write your name and liscense # you must ask permission, but the ones that do have it you must follow that procedure.

One thing I must say about South Dakotan Farmers ,they are the nicest people I have ever met.
All the farms I asked permision allowed me right in and the farmers sometimes guided me for free,they wouldn't take money,although I did leave something $$$ in their mailbox. and during holidays I send a postcard.
Some even had their wives make brakfast for us, very hospitable people.
We hunted the Pier SD area. and I shot a 32" Muley that weigh over 250LBS.

There are also Lakes in Private farms that are accessfull to the public,you just have to look for the US fish and wildlife management Wildfowl signs.

Thanks a million Troy

This response submitted by Doug on 1/13/05 at 9:46 PM. ( )

I downloaded the atlas and printed it off. Interesting that not one parcel in the whole state had "FB"(furbearer) keyed next to it. Must be there are no coyotes left in SD?(LMAO) This "walk in" program, the atlas, and my GPS are going to make s trip back VERY likely. Thanks many times over Troy! Alex, I'm glad you posted what you did. In addition to hunting "walk in" land I intend to knock on a few doors to ask to call coyotes. Sounds like I'll be greeted with a friendly "Why sure. Go ahead." YEE-HAW!

My buddy..

This response submitted by tomdes on 1/14/05 at 10:20 AM. ( )

drives out there every year from upstate NY. He hunts on state owned tracts of land. He's in NE SD about 14 miles from the ND border. He says they limit out every day, long days though. I used to hunt on a 600 acre farm just north of Sioux Falls, it was great, plus we had access to over more than 1000 extra acres. If you want pheasants SD is it..


This response submitted by Troy on 1/15/05 at 10:11 PM. ( )

Shoot me an email and I'll give you my phone number. I don't do any 'yotee hunting but my family farms in this area (Watertown) and I can hook you up with Walk-in areas AND some private land.


Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu