Bill Y. do any fox trapping last year ?

Submitted by b bishop/ Republican on 1/14/05 at 3:03 PM. ( ) 65.73.67.68

I saw a couple of posts from another site and was surprised to see you there looking for trapping info . I have a few dozen set that have been out for about 2 weeks ( mostly snares ) picked up one coyote and 3 foxes so far . I caught the coyote by 1 toe and he pulled out of my #3 Bridger offset and went 60 yrds and got into one of my snares . Needless to say , he was having a bad day !.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Brad

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/14/05 at 3:52 PM. ( ) 67.138.15.181

No, I didnt trap at all this year. Last year I had phenomenal luck with fox and coyotes, all on my property, including my yard. Conibears and jawtraps...we cant snare here. My buddy has over 200 reds this year so far.

problem is . . .

This response submitted by b bishop/ Republican on 1/14/05 at 5:48 PM. ( ) 65.73.67.68

I really don't have the time to but make the time as I enjoy it so much plus it keeps the predators in check on our land . 200 reds is a nice catch for sure . Snaring is a a rush as well , I hope your state allows it someday and you can try it .

Wow 200 reds!

This response submitted by tomdes on 1/14/05 at 6:41 PM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 24.58.211.158

Bill your buddy must be in red country, getting a lot of those red-necks. We can't buy one over here in central NY, only gray's, I think we're up to about 15 so far. We'll be predator hunting at night as soon as we get some snow... Well get that steel laid, we need to knock those predator numbers down....

RedFox----Where!

This response submitted by Trapper2000 on 1/14/05 at 9:52 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

Reds have been hard to come by here in the Wilson,Rans.part of town.Real wet coyotes move infox move out.I got a few.

we have all three...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/14/05 at 9:55 PM. ( ) 67.138.8.130

...reds, greys and coyotes. Im always told Im nuts, we CANT have em, but, whattya gonna do, theyre there! I dont think its possible to get rid of predators, no matter what kind of pressure. I used to love grey fox hunting at night with callers. I kinda miss that stuff.

Todd, my buddy does his very best with the reds after it gets nasty, believe it or not. We all like the nice dry dirt and above-freezing nights, for clean sets, but he does equally as well once it tightens up and theres snow. He also has 40 coyotes so far, everything in traps. He doesnt have time to hunt at night, just skin!

Great Season

This response submitted by Trapper2000 on 1/14/05 at 10:16 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

Todd is sure having a great season,is he trapping out there in Middleport?he is not to far from this part of town.

try the hay set

This response submitted by trappersteph on 1/14/05 at 10:19 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

2 traps staked together, stretch the chains( chains 8-10 inches) out set them on level ground, stick a pile of fresh hay between them so its sticking up some, then put light covering of hay over the traps, just enough to break up outline, not enough to foul the traps up when firing. Put some fox p on the hay in the middle and step back. Must be set right on the fox travelway, works best with snow of the ground.

I have caught 2 reds and a grey with this set this winter so far, one red was caught in a remake of it where I just piled the soiled hay back like it had been when fresh, no lure, no bait, and the vixen got stuck in both traps next night.

Best to use #2 bridger and bigger and make sure to stake for yotes if you have them, attach cable stake to both chain ends. Or use a heavy drag stuck under the center hay pile hooked to both trap chains.

Brad

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/14/05 at 11:36 PM. ( ) 67.138.11.53

I bet we will never see snaring in NY state, even though its obvious its not a bad method. In NY we have these silly little things called laws. Laws that say you cannot allow pets to run. But, then theres laws saying we cant snare, cuz we will catch pets. Silly, isnt it? We have a wee bit of an accountability/responsibility problem here!

Stef, thats a great set, but in my neck of the woods that set would blow away this time of year. Also, now the fox guys have shifted with the fox, and out of fields and into cover.

I think Im supposed to know who trapper2000 is, but honestly, I dont recall. Sorry, man! Also, I typed Todd, before, but meant to say Tom, as in Tomdes...sheesh, Im getting goofy!

Brad, glad to hear youre enjoying yourself.

Bill

This response submitted by b bishop/ Republican on 1/15/05 at 11:09 AM. ( ) 65.73.67.218

that is the interesting part , we have pets roaming all over as well as people running dogs for bobcats and coyotes but so far this has not been a problem. We have to use a relaxing washer and a non-entanglement situation as well as all the bads and so forth but the snares are still very effective . Does your friend use waxed dirt for his winter trapping ? I do alot of setting on ice but have yet to come up with a covering I like to blend with the snow . It seems even when I sift a light layer of snow over my peat moss , it freezes over within 2 days .

Brad

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/15/05 at 12:44 PM. ( ) 66.133.133.192

Hes using big square jaw Northwoods in snow. Dry cold snow and waxed traps do ok. His enemy with any other topping is of course the wind and the sun melting that top layer. I suppose the good thing is, hes catching enough that the sets dont sit. Damn hes good!

Sounds like what I am doing

This response submitted by b bishop/ Republican on 1/15/05 at 6:53 PM. ( ) 65.73.67.55

#3 Bridgers with 4 coils , lam jaws and 3 swivels . There was a guy here in WI that used bean bag stuffing ( beaded styrofoam ) and he claimed it worked for him . Never tried it though , seems like the wind would make short work of it.

dont do it Brad

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/15/05 at 10:48 PM. ( ) 67.138.15.86

Stuff like that is plain irresponsible. Small birds pick that up and it stays in their crop or worse. Call me sometime and Ill talk bedding with you privately...

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu