Tannery problems

Submitted by mike on 1/14/05 at 7:38 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.202

I just received my shipment of capes from Golden State Tannery. I have been using them since 1995. I was shocked to see the capes where shaved so thin, I am thinking "cool" then I noticed on one they shaved the lips completely off the cape. When I mean they are shaved off, there is not one part left. So in a panic I inspected the rest and found one to have only one ear, a big hole was left where the ear once was. Out of all the capes, two are usable with some work, the rest are trashed beyond repair. I have over 50 salted capes ready to send out with about that many in the freezer that need to be fleshed and salted. I am gun shy about sending these others out. I quite using my last tannery because of this very reason. This is the first time I have ever had a problem with them, and I am sure they have tanned over 1000 plus capes for me in the last 9 years. What I would like to know is if anyone uses them and has noticed a change in the quality of their work,

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

maybe a fix

This response submitted by Dennis D on 1/14/05 at 8:16 PM. ( ddtaxidermy@portsys.net ) 199.239.214.112

Mike
this not the answer you wanted to hear ,but I won't send no more there .trying to replace those are going to be hard enough.
Try East Coast Tannery send them a cape of your own see how it turns out 1-877-tan-furs they even started taken in frozen capes and turning eye,lips,etc, ask for( Eric)

Trophy Game Tanning, LLC

This response submitted by Jeff on 1/14/05 at 8:53 PM. ( info@trophygametanning.com ) 65.31.134.219

We would like to have an opportunity to show you our work. References available.

www.trophygametanning.com
toll free 877 783-7682

We all have our favorite tanneries

This response submitted by cur on 1/14/05 at 9:35 PM. ( ) 4.227.118.196

What you describe is unbelievable. Only a fool(s) would siend those back to you. That represents a total breakdown in their system if what you say is true. I would like to see them defend their actions on here. What I can't imagine is you even considering sending something back to a tannery that did what you accuse. There are a lot of quality tanners in the market. I deal with South Texas in Victoria, TX and have never had a problem. I my tanner ever did something like that, I wouldn't post it on this forum, I would drive down there and kick butt.

dont use Micro Tan

This response submitted by brice on 1/14/05 at 10:48 PM. ( ) 65.114.92.179

you will get the same problems you are having now.

if you didnt already read it, search the archives and look at some of the latest threads on them.

wildlife gallery

This response submitted by Justin on 1/15/05 at 12:02 AM. ( justpohl@aol.com ) 64.12.116.200

wildlife gallery, blanchard MI. Excellent work, turnaround, service,and workability. On the higher end of the price spectrum but worth every penny. The best taxidermy leather on the market as far as Im concerned and you'll have both ears and enough lip left over to finish the mount.

I use Micro Tan

This response submitted by Greg on 1/15/05 at 12:08 AM. ( groverglad@juno.com ) 216.176.88.18

and have never had a problem. I have been satisfied with the work they have done for me. If I ever do encounter a problem, I am confident they will do their best to make it right.

A second for East Coast Tannery

This response submitted by Todd T on 1/15/05 at 7:32 AM. ( deertodd@aol.com ) 64.12.116.135

East Coast consistently puts out top quality work. Never heard any of the nightmares that other tanneries have been acused of.

The Wildlife Gallery

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 1/15/05 at 8:09 AM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 152.163.100.135

Good tan. Great service. Nuff said! Jeff F.

Cur

This response submitted by mike on 1/15/05 at 7:47 PM. ( earnhardtgw3@aol.com ) 198.81.26.72

email me and I will send you some pics of the capes, they just make me sick. I have the new world pope and young caribou in velvet and they shaved the lips so thin, you can almost see through them, going to be tough to tuck. The rest are deer capes, which I have plently of spares, but I should'nt have to loose on this one. I have never had a bad cape from them, some small holes but nothing like this. I am a very understanding person and if they say sorry, we will take care of it. I will not have any hard feelings, but if they say OH WELL, tanning is done at your own risk, I will freak.

I showed the cape to another taxidermist that comes in to B.S. and use my fleashing beam, he to uses them and is thinking of looking eles were for a tannery. What worries me the most is I sent capes up on the 10th and they are my short haired competition capes for my mount for the world show, I am in a panic because they can not be replaced. All I want to find out with this post is if anyone eles has had a recent problem with them of in the no so far past. I will call the tannery first thing on monday and what they have to say.

Sound Familiar

This response submitted by Dave on 1/17/05 at 1:06 PM. ( Endoftrailtaxidermy@go.com ) 12.30.218.35

MIke, I sent 7 capes to Golden State Tannery in November and when they returned I had hole that are going to be fun to repair and also they shaved them so thin I lost my numbers that identify the customers capes so now I have to figure out what cape goes to what set of horns. Measures only do so much when they are all about the same size. I fell for you problem to. They lost my business. I have another tanner out of Montana I will send my stuff to.

Ive had

This response submitted by Seekins on 1/18/05 at 3:08 PM. ( ) 66.236.1.91

Horrible problems with tanneries. the ones i have tried have more excuses than i do :). Fortunately they have only LOST items so i was paid. Either that or they were 6-8 months late.

Try Carolina fur dressing.... I wouldn't recommend it on your garden salad, but when it comes to tanning they do very nice work, have good customer service (they even answer the phone) and do great wet tans also

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu