dumbest Question ever!

Submitted by Wink on 1/15/05 at 1:27 PM. ( ) 69.66.38.202

I just called a customer to tell him his mount was finished. guess what he asked me "HOW DOES IT LOOK?" what the heck! How am I to answer that, maybe, it looks like a piece of crap but it still going to cost you $350.00 just venting!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I hear ya

This response submitted by Tim on 1/15/05 at 1:33 PM. ( ) 24.72.70.83

Sometimes we say the silliest things when we get excited. The guy is probably pretty pumped up about getting his critter back.

Human Nature

This response submitted by cur on 1/15/05 at 1:34 PM. ( ) 4.252.245.143

Folks ask that question often. It is more a figure of speech than a dumb question. I do commissioned art works and folks will call to see how the work is going and ask how it looks or is it nice or whatever. When the work is finished, they often ask how it turned out. I just tell them, "fine", or, "I am pleased with the effort"......Just part of doing business.

Gotcha Beat!

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 1/15/05 at 1:38 PM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 64.12.116.134

Had a guy drop off a bass this summer. His friend stopped by TWO DAYS later and asked the fish was coming. Needless to say, we had a little talk! (LMAO) Jeff F.

How about, "Did it turn out O.K.?"

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/15/05 at 1:42 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.224

That's the supreme insult or, "Wow I didn't ecpect it to look so good!"

I tell them

This response submitted by Becky P on 1/15/05 at 2:12 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

that it looks fine to me, but they are the are the final judge.
I'm my worst critic, if I were to tell them what I think is wrong, they wouldn't want it. So I just let them be the judge. BP

Tell them it looks horrible

This response submitted by Evelyn on 1/15/05 at 2:20 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

One of my regular customers asked how his mount was looking when I called him. I told him that the deer looks just absolutely horrible and that he wouldn't want it. For a moment there was dead silence and then he said:"You are kiddint right?" And I said of course I am kidding and that the deer looks great as usual. He got a good laugh out of it.

a card

This response submitted by mark on 1/15/05 at 3:02 PM. ( ) 66.255.208.24

eliminates all that talk and wasted time talking to the customer about his hunting exp, or telling the teenage kid the mount is done who will forget to tell Dad anyway. Yup send them a card, with amount due.

thanks for the laugh

This response submitted by Wink on 1/15/05 at 3:09 PM. ( ) 69.66.38.202

of couse you know I didn't give him my first thought and I am like Becky I would never tell them what I need to work on sometimes what I don't like, is the form that I put it on and that is because I am comparing it to others that I have used and like better, but they wouldn't know the difference, but it still has to be the #1 question that I am asked

Cards work pretty well unless

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/15/05 at 4:25 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.224

the wife trashes it when it comes in. Been there seen that.

Whatever you do don't leave a message with a teenager that the mount is completed! It may never reach the customer!

I answer...

This response submitted by Gordon on 1/15/05 at 4:28 PM. ( ) 142.177.203.85

"I like it." And I mean it too. If I took the time to do it, I did it to "like it". Now is it my best work? Probably not. But I like it. Some things don't have to be the best to be appreciated.

Like someone said I am my worst critic. So I tone down when customers , "Does it look good?" Yep it does, I like it. If I did not like it, "it" would not be available to my customer, but I be reweting leather or repainting or re something, in order to make it look "good".

Also, may I volunteer my observation of what is the difference between an artist taxidermist and a craftman-women taxidermist: The artist does what he wants and the craftman does what the customer whats. I am not at those levels yet, I do a little of both on each individual mount. LOL

Gordon

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 1/15/05 at 6:35 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

IMHO you're doing it right! If you don't have a "certain" amount of compromise then you're sucking a straw in the ocean! BUT, at the same time, don't do what YOU know isn't right. Those who know right will see it and think you're taking the "little" bus to work! Peace- Jeff F.

please tell me your not serious!

This response submitted by kara begaye on 2/4/05 at 4:35 PM. ( ) 12.148.84.41

one of my friends, tiffany, was talking to me one day and asked me if one plus one was one. i responded back to ask her a question saying, "no, its seven." then she asked me how i did get the answer and i told her that i crossed multiplied. well, then i asked her if she was just messing around when she asked me. she said no; she only asked that for a test that day. stupid. how could no one know that dumb question? please tell me that your not serious!

hi...

This response submitted by Audrey D. on 2/4/05 at 4:37 PM. ( ) 12.148.84.41

hi.................okay, then bye peps!!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu