anybody hunt coyote

Submitted by Michael Sestak on 1/15/05 at 7:53 PM. ( sestakmg@cs.com ) 205.188.116.202

near Erie, Pa. ?
i would like to kill a coyote and have tried hunting them myself several times at night.
i have a small rabbit in distress mouth call and a 2 million candle power spotlight with a red lens, but havent had any luck...yet.
i just ordered a inexpensive electronic caller made by western rivers, its the mini-predation predator caller, maybe this will help.
if anybody hunts coyote and has had any luck, maybe you wouldnt mind taking me along a time or two if you're near Erie.

thanks

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

You have to get out of the city Michael

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/15/05 at 7:55 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.224

at least the out into the suburbs. Sorry couldn't resist.

Hate to rub it in but

This response submitted by Dan Hudzik on 1/15/05 at 8:09 PM. ( hudzik@madisontelco.com ) 66.242.205.58

seen 9 this morning! LOL! I'm in Illinois though! We are going again in the morning. With an electonic caller the longest we have been on a stand and killed a coyote is 30 minutes. Usually within the 5-10 minute time frame you have at least one dead or you have been busted by one! LOL We usually get about 30 a year sometimes more. The year before last we got 36 of them. The other day we had 5 out in one corn field and we weren't able to kill one of them! LOL That happens alot too! LOL One thing I did was I got a little toy from the toy store called a weasel ball. It is a little battery operated ball that has an artificial tail atached to it. I took the fake tail off and put real coon tails on it. Connected the ball to a small piece of rod for wiring birds LOL and put that in a base that has a spring on it. SO the ball is elevated and moves all around. The yotes see that when they come in and they try to get it. If you aren't carefull you'll lose a few to the hawks and a sneaky yote once in a while. I also put turkey decoys on them and have them hobble around in the field and use the turkey distress call. The toy is like $4-$5 good little investment. Kill one coyote and it pays for its self. Good Luck, Dan Hudzik

Dan

This response submitted by Alan on 1/15/05 at 9:39 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

Am considering buying an electronic caller for fox, & coyote. Which one do you reccomend?

Michael

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/15/05 at 10:43 PM. ( ) 67.138.15.86

I think the key is, not at night. The odds are really stacked against you. Try being in position at FIRST light. Also, you really have to watch your scent and the wind. Try hunting near an expressway too, as coyotes run them often for freebees, and the sound of animals in distress in common there.

Try

This response submitted by charles m on 1/15/05 at 11:13 PM. ( charles5533@hotmail.com ) 170.215.220.64

I hunt them on a regular basis.I wish I could help you but I live in upstate New York.You got some good info from here already that will work just fine.What I can tell you is go to www.predatormasters.com it's a forum on hunting fox,coyote,and bobcat.There is loads of info there that should help.This is my seconed year hunting coyotes and I learned a wealth of info from the folks there.Good luck

To be honest

This response submitted by Dan Hudzik on 1/15/05 at 11:59 PM. ( hudzik@madisontelco.com ) 66.242.205.12

I don't see how I couldn't say that the remote controlled Fox Pro is probably one of the best out there. You can always download more sounds and put them on it and you are not limited to only a few sounds. Not only that but since it is wireless you can set it out away from you and they lock up on the sound and not you. The calls look like a small flashlight and are awesome. They are expensive but you know how that goes, you get what you pay for. I will let you know how we do tommorrow since we are getting a fresh 3-4 inches of snow it should be a good day. Something to remember also, Yox gave you great advise and also think about this. I have read different things on coyotes and foxes. To me, I think it is a lot easier to call in a fox than a coyote. One thing that I will always remember is that a coyote is suppose to be able to pin point the sound of another call from up to a mile a way and be able to narrow the call down to about 10-15 feet from where it is coming from. Based on the coyotes that we have killed personally I would say that the coyotes are right on the money when it comes to the sound. When we hear one coming, if we hear it, it always seems that they are near the call and no where near us at all. Sometimes it also seems that scent control doesn't even matter to a hungry yote listening to that rabbit that is dying. Night time is hard to hunt. Early morning I would say is the best just like Yox said. (dang I hate agreeing with him! LOL) We have night vision and it is still hard but it can be done. It is really a blast and it's fun to take new people and scare the heck out of thm walking through the woods in complete darkness. I have never been able to kill a coyote with the red lens spotlight theory. Usually it seems that by the time you shine the light it is too late because they just saw you move. If you are going to move it is best that you are moving to make the shot. Good Luck and let us know how you do. I love the predator's. Coyotes are one of my favorite predators. Heck I might take one to the show this year again! LOL Look at the Fox Pros though you won't be sorry. Dan Hudzik

I've got everything...except a coyote

This response submitted by Doug on 1/16/05 at 8:02 AM. ( ) 64.18.236.40

I've spent a lot of time, effort, and money at calling coyotes, and this winter I am 0/15. I've shot hundreds of foxes by calling(and trapping), but Wiley-E has left me scratching my head over and over. I own a pile of hand calls and recently bought a Loudmouth e-caller w/remote. I also have an electronic decoy. I find calling VERY exciting, and will never forget my first called coyote...when I get it(LOL). If anyone out there lives in South Dakota and can put me onto some big private ranches, I can leave tomorrow. I am retired from another career and have the time to take off any day for as long as my wife says I can(LOL). The reason I mention SD is that I was out there for a guided WT hunt in November, and the numbers of coyotes is incredible. The terrain is a coyote caller's dream. I am presently looking at CRP "walk-in" maps for SD and would like to head west soon. Good luck with the calling Michael.

thanks a lot

This response submitted by michael sestak on 1/16/05 at 10:06 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

for all the info, i do believe i will try going out and being in position before first light.
Cecil,
i no longer hunt in the city, it scares the heck out folks when you shine that red light on them (LOL)
but hunting in the city is good the last turkey i got came from wal-mart(rfid tag and all)(LOL)
hopefully the electronic caller will improve my odds, i would also like to try the weasel ball but i dont think they are legal in Pa. the regulations already state that you cant use a turkey decoy for coyote as the PGC considers it "baiting"
go figure..
i will let you folks know how i do...thanks again

Update

This response submitted by Dan Hudzik on 1/16/05 at 3:21 PM. ( hudzik@madisontelco.com ) 66.242.205.18

Seen 3 this morning and only got one. Went to 4 different places. Not to bad I guess but it was cold as heck! Good Luck everyone. Dan Hudzik

ohio coy dogs

This response submitted by reidduck on 1/16/05 at 4:51 PM. ( ) 66.242.44.233

whats all this hipe about killing coyote at night ?hunt only when theirs snow and don't use a light.call soft at first a few bursts pause few more loud pause 5 mins. do it again .it might take 30mins for one .no your terrain . use a varmit gun. decoys work but i dont like to use them i like them to hunt me .hunt very open .watch the wind. dont hunt windy nights.and dont make noise when getting out of your truck or car.hide it.if the house dogs are barking the coyotes are hunting. ohio coyotes

My advice

This response submitted by cur on 1/16/05 at 11:31 PM. ( ) 4.252.241.242

Is to loose the zillion candle power red light. A quality sealed beam light with a coffee can taped over the business end is a better tool. Paint the inside of the can flat black and tape it over the sealed beam headlight. Run the light so that the beam is in the air and only the penumbra or halo is hitting The can prevents the animal fro seeing the light source.

When the critter is in range, drop the spot on it and thump it. Yotes can get slick when pressured, and the best homing call is a squeaker out of a pet toy or child's toy. Fit the squeaker into a short tube and use it to emit short tones in succession when the animal is inside 300 yards. It is a different sound, but one that the yotes hear loud and clear. When hunting brushy areas, I use the squeaker exclusively.

I have never had much use for electronic callers, especially where yotes are pressured. When using a squeaker call, it is best to have one shooter armed with a flat shooting varmit rifle and the other with a shotgun loaded with lead BB's, just in case a yote sneaks up on you. Sometimes just kissing the back of your hand to make a sqeaking sound will suffice in close cover.....DO NOT fall in love with your hand, even if it is your "buddy".

Cur Has Too Much Time On His Hands

This response submitted by Indiana Trapper on 1/17/05 at 2:05 PM. ( ) 63.170.184.201

Bill, You have too much time on your hands.

The fastest and best way to kill yotes is with fresh bait. When I see a full moon on the calender I get ready. First kill a doe (a cow will work but tends to make farmers mad, for some reason.) Break it's back and prop it upside down and slice it like your going to field dress it. Perfect yote bait.

Now, select your hunting perch. You should outfit it during day as follows:
One Case iced beer
Pouch of favorite chewing tobacco
Pack Black and Mild cigars
Makers Mark Bourbon( Multiply number of hunters joining you by 1.75 to ascertain the correct gallonage.
Bucket of Chicken
Marlboros

Now that everthing is ready, there is time to go into town to have a few beers and find some friends to join the hunt. I suggest the local tavern. The Olde Town Tavern is best because they have the best fried catfish and the coldest beer in town, also that barmaid is sort of cute and she may join you on your hunt.

About 2am or as close to closing time for the bar as possible, always seems to be the best time to head out. So buy 5 to 10 condums, load the barmaid in your truck and head for the stand.

Once at stand make kissing sounds on the barmaids hand to attract yotes. This calls coyotes to the bait and if none of them around gets barmaid in the mood for Yote Waiting Activaties. Give her a glass of Makers Mark neat while you survey the area.

You should get lucky on way or the other by daylight.

Good Hunting

for ohio coy dog

This response submitted by hdshawn on 1/25/05 at 9:57 PM. ( ) 216.68.39.137

Where are you huntin in ohio? Are you havin much luck?

10/22 kill a coyote

This response submitted by fiche on 1/31/05 at 7:35 PM. ( ) 12.32.34.61

i am from montana and was wondering if a 10/22 will kill a coyote

Sullivan County's Third Annual Coyote Hunt

This response submitted by LVFCstation50 on 2/4/05 at 2:58 PM. ( ) 209.173.11.77

Don't miss this chance to kill a coyote and win some great prizes... and MONEY!

February 25,26,27 2005
Registration is 20.00 and must be received by Feb. 24th 2005.
All proceeds benefit local Sullivan County, PA Volunteer Fire Companies. Make all Checks payable to Laporte Volunteer Fire Company.

Now for the good part:
PRIZES
A 100.00 reward will be given to each coyote brought in!
After all single kills are distributed the remaining balance (if any) will be divided up as follows:
If only one coyote is brought in then the hunter will receive all the prize balance.
If only two are brought in the heaviest coyote will receive 60% of the balance and the second will receive 40% of the balance.
If three or more are brought in the heaviest will receive 50% second will be 30% and third will be 20%.

IF NO COYOTES ARE BROUGHT IN... the balance will be held over until next years hunt. If there is a tie in any case, time will be used to determine the winner.

Coyotes may be taken by HUNTING Only. No trapping. Hunters must follow the PA Game Commission regulations. Hunting is allowed in all Counties of PA.

Weigh in will be at Laporte Volunteer Fire Company's Fire Hall in Laporte, PA from 2:00pm-8:00pm Friday and Saturday. Sunday will be from 10:00am-3:00pm. [b]All Coyotes must be weighted the day of or within 16 hours of the kill![/b]Refreshments will be available on Sunday

For more information or to register call Paul Beaver 570-946-5580 or Michael Peterman 570-946-4136

The Laporte Volunteer Fire Company, Muncy Valley Fire Company and Eagles Mere Fire Company Thanks you for your support!

Happy Hunting.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu