Look at this

Submitted by Tony J. on 1/16/05 at 3:13 AM. ( ) 208.135.164.208

Another conflict, and guess who won the battle, who will win the war?

Activists outraged at coyote hunt

Copyright 2005 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

Activists throughout Maine expressed outrage at a decision to hold a coyote-killing competition in eastern Maine, despite protests from anti-cruelty groups and a request by Gov. John Baldacci to forgo the event.

"We think all people should have the right to say how wildlife is managed in Maine," said Linn Pulis of Hallowell, a member of several humane organizations. "We have been excluded."

Twenty-three teams turned out as the two-day event got under way in East Machias amid unseasonably warm temperatures, said Mike Look, an organizer of the hunting derby and member of the Washington County Fish and Wildlife Conservation Club.

Look said he sees little difference between the Maine event and normal hunting of coyotes, which are viewed as a major cause of a deer population decline Down East.

"It's a huge sport nationwide," Look said. "It's a chip off the iceberg of what happens every day."

Opponents say the event does nothing to manage the coyote population and reopens old wounds from a recent bear-hunting referendum.

Event organizers offered prizes for the most coyotes killed in different categories, such as calling, baiting and hunting with dogs. Look said he would be surprised if hunters killed as many as a dozen animals.

Days before the event, the Humane Society of the United States sent a letter protesting the event to Gov. John Baldacci, asking him to use his influence to call off the event.

"We think that any derby that involves wanton killing of animals is uncalled-for," Hillary Twining, the humane society's New England coordinator, said Friday from the group's office in Vermont. She said the derby is "not sound wildlife management" and "has no place in the Maine hunting tradition."

Baldacci also finds the practice inhumane, spokesman Lee Umphrey said.

At the governor's request, Deputy Commissioner Paul Jacques of the state Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Department asked the sporting group not to go ahead with its derby, saying it's not an effective way to control the coyote population. He offered state biologists' assistance in rebuilding the region's deer herd.

Organizers decided to go ahead anyway, noting that some participants were coming long distances and it was too late to tell them the event was canceled.

Pulis said she hopes the hunting group's defiance will encourage lawmakers to ban the practice.

"This has been a terrible embarrassment to the governor," she said.

Activists said they were concerned the derby would renew antagonism between hunting and nonhunting groups barely two months after a statewide referendum to decide whether to ban baiting, hounding and trapping of bears. Maine voters rejected the proposed ban.

In late 2003, Maine's coyote snaring program was suspended after appeals to officials and emotional testimony to the Legislature.

Look said the derby is to make up in a small part for the snaring program, in which hundreds of coyotes were taken in Washington County. The former teacher said he founded the sponsoring fish and wildlife club specifically to rebuild Washington County's deer population, which has crashed since the 1970s.

One of the reasons of the decline, Look said, is coyote attacks on fawns.

"Our deer population is zero to two per square mile," Look said. "If we had a normal deer population, this wouldn't be happening."

I got this off a peditor hunting sight! I know of one county here in Ky that is over run with coyotes. If you deer hunt there, ya never see any deer, but the forage and cover is great! I shot 2 coyotes there opening morn of rifle season. A neighbor said, "There isn't deer here anymore due to the coyotes!" I read in Kentucky afield mag. that during the early eighties, there was either 3000 or 5000 trapping lic. sold and in 2003, there was 80 sold. One of those was mine. I consider myself a greenhorn trapper, foxes, cats , and expecialy coyotes are every where. There is very few quail here anymore. It seems to be a rare thing to find a rabbit track in the snow these days! I am just ranting, I just wish The antis BS would stop! Thanks for reading you all!
Tony @ Johnson Taxidermy Studio East KY

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Sound about right for them

This response submitted by charles m on 1/16/05 at 3:42 AM. ( ) 170.215.216.159

I have a woman up the road from me that is in the humane society that whines about the same things here.She whines about the deer here all the hunters need to cut the population down in the area so hey are not hit by cars,but the first day of the season she is out aggrovateing everyone to leave them alone.They are just a bunch of whiners.

Several issues

This response submitted by Jim on 1/16/05 at 8:44 AM. ( ) 64.18.236.40

From the game management perspective, predator(coyote) control is very improtant. Because of the food requirements of coyotes, their populations can really take a toll on small AND big game. Despite calling, using hounds, still hunting, baiting, trapping, snaring, etc.. coyotes always hold their own. I've seen stats that indicate 70-80& can be removed from an area, and the remaining ones will repopulate back to 100% the next year.
I have yet to understand why game management has become competitive. I am into coyote calling this winter, and monitor several predator/varmint forums. With few exceptions, there are now organized fox/coyote calling tournaments in states from east to west. I guess I am way out of the "loop" on this because I find seeking "fame or fortune" by seeing who can get the most critters is an ego feeder. This mentality is common to coon contests, fishing festivals, deer derbies, water fowl tournaments, etc... The advertising of outdoor products is involved. Endorsements are involved. The prioritizing of business aspects seems to prostitute the sports to a degree that the issues of game management get lost in the promotions.

I think the only thing

This response submitted by sw on 1/16/05 at 9:40 AM. ( ) 65.175.239.49

that can eradicate the coyote in any given area is good ole mother nature.

Using her proven techniques of mange, rabies, or distemper.

Being quite familiar with NH and Me. coyotes, I can assure you all, including the anti-crowd that for evey one that is taken there are 10 more to take its place.

On a positive note, it does make me snicker, to see those wanted posters of pets, put up by many of those same non and antihunters looking for their missing pets.

The only thing I can envision is a big fat coyote licking his chops, saying thankya ma'm.

I agree they are idiots but

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/16/05 at 12:30 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.224

It is true coyote will just increase their birth rate and come back in no time. I too detest compeitions etc. as much as I detest bass tournaments.

Not sure what the answer is. One thing is for sure though, the adaptable coyote is here to stay.

On 'yotes

This response submitted by cur on 1/16/05 at 12:59 PM. ( ) 4.226.228.187

The coyote has found a bounty in the lands East of the Mississippi River. Man helped set that loaded table by clearing the Estern Deciduous Forests, and eliminating the Eastern Gray Wolf and Eastern Cougar, two predators that kept the coyote at bay.

As things go, the coyote is a recent species, suspected by some to be the result of breeding of wolves with domesticated dogs brought from Eurasia by migrating native peoples who crossed the land bridge, Beingea, that lay between Asia and North America 20k-10k years ago. Regardless of it's origin, the coyote has proven to be a very successful predator and one that can adapt to human habitation.

Sadly, the old axiom, "Dog eat Dog" is a practice among wild canines, and where the coyote establishes, the red fox soon becomes rare. So also do other small mammals feel the impact of growing coyote populations. When I was a youth in Kentucky, coyotes were legendary creatures of the plains and prairie. Western movies were full of coyote howling and bad guys were, "mangy coyotes", but there were none in the Bluegrass State.

The first Coyote I saw in the Bluegrass was around 1970 or so. I was shooting woodchucks when what I thought at first to be a dog came slinking along the edge of a soy bean field. My binoculars revealed it to be a coyote, and my .22/250 added it to the day's varmit haul. That was in Western Kentucky. During the Spring of 1976 I shot a number of coyotes in Owen County, KY, 200 miles east of where I saw the first coyote a few years earlier.

By 1980, coyotes were rife throughout the Bluegrass, and had entered Ohio and West Virginia, and points North. A number of my varmit shooting friends had just about quit shooting groundhogs and had taken up 'yote hunting exclusively. My arsenal was added to by the acquisition of a tack driving, bull barreled, .243 target rifle, and tailored loads meant just for the coyotes.

When I moved back to Texas the .243 was used to clean out coyotes on a friend's ranch and then other ranches. My friend had a large spread that featured around 2,000 acres of St. Augustine Grass that he kept mowed and groomed like a golf green. He had cleared brush on most of that area except for a few patches and that which remained around the base of abundant Live Oak trees. Whitetail deer there had a habit of leaving their fawns in those brushy areas around the trees as they grazed the fields. Coyotes were aware of that situation and when I first began shooting and trapping them out, the coyotes would trot from tree to tree, looking for the fawns. Wind direction didn't seem to matter at first, since they were sight hunting and not using their noses to locate the fawns.

After the first week or so, the coyotes became very wary, and my shooting and trapping scores began to drop considerably. I began night shooting and soon that too fell off. That year, though my friend had a bumper crop of fawns survive until fall, and coyotes became less and less visible. The rancher's wife began to complain to him that her friends liked to hear and see the coyotes when her garden club met there on the ranch, and she made him stop my hunting and trapping. In three years time, the fawn production dropped again and the coyotes had the run of the place.

His ranch manager had a pair of Wiemar bitches. They had to run a six foot chain-link fence around their half-acre yard to keep male coyotes out whenever one of the dogs came into heat. One night they counted more than twenty yotes running around the fence trying to get to the female dogs.

Once again, I carved down the population, this time at the request of the rancher's wife who lost her little lap rat to a coyote. After that round, the rancher retired and took up thumping coyotes on his own, and this old man's contract was pulled...

The best time to eradicate coyotes is not during winter, but in the spring when the pups are in den and the adults are afield often looking for food. Kill a lactating bitch at that time and you have killed several by proxy. (Although coyotes have been known to "adopt" orphaned young.) Winter may produce a number of prime pelts, but the best things winter scouting and hunting can provide are den locations and frequently traveled paths. Using that knowledge, a wise hunter will find where to set up on those sites, and up chances for collecting coyotes.

Like foxes, coyotes like to sun during warm periods in cold weather, and a den site can provide good target practice on those brief periods of warming after a deep freeze. Where legal, hunting at night during the full moon is an alternative, especially if one owns a European style scope with larger objective to amplify the avaiable light.

Whether the Governor of Maine likes it or not; Whether the tree huggers like it or not; The only natural predator that coyotes have in the Eastern US is man....that's us. If we don't exercise control over their numerical increase, many of our native small mammals and our deer herds will suffer damage as a result of our negligence.

I like how man assumes the coyote is taking

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/16/05 at 1:42 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.224

"his deer." As you alluded to Cur this problem was man made in the beginning with the elimination of the coyote predators.

Kind of reminds me of a guy I know that bitches how the carp have ruined fishing, but he has no qualms about harvesting several thousand bluegills off the beds each spring and giving most of them away. Then he blames the deminished number of bluegills on the carp. LMAO

We are a self centered peculiar species aren't we?

Coyote Damage

This response submitted by The original conservationist on 1/20/05 at 9:53 AM. ( rancherdad@peoplepc.com ) 207.69.136.201

For all the tree hugging bunny lovers. Im one of the original conservationist.....a rancher. If we dont take care of the land we go hungry. So nobody loves the land more than a rancher.
As far as a coyote is concernd, if you have ever seen a baby calf starve to death because his tounge is either split or tore out, you would have no objection to killing coyotes. When a cow has a calf the first thing to come out is the head. The first thing a calf does is holler. The first thing a coyote sees is the calf's tounge.
As you can imagine I am an avid coyote hunter for 20 years. I enter calling contest. I have not seen a decline in coyote numbers.
These people who protest these events need to get there facts straight. In 2002 predators cost the cattle and sheep industry over 56 million dollars. Coyotes are not just meat eaters. They destroy crops as well.
So the question I have is do you the tree hugging bunny lover want to eat or do you want to starve to death?

Rogue Hunters Taking Over Property

This response submitted by KA on 1/24/05 at 1:03 PM. ( lifestories1@netzero.com ) 167.7.195.37

I have a problem with some predators, I mean rogue hunters who trespass and harass me and other landowners at the start of hunting season. They release dogs and surrounded me with gunblasts when I told them they couldn't hunt on my property. I have tried putting up signs, cutting out roads. I have filed charges of trespassing and harassment and they still won't stop. Any ideas from civilized hunters on what I might do to alleviate this problem? Perhaps some of you can help me think like a fanatical hunter and solve the problem.

Thanks

KA

Coyotes are Tricky

This response submitted by JC on 2/1/05 at 2:02 PM. ( ) 205.204.242.22

I have a coyote problem at home in Breckinridge Conuty, Ky. I have got lucky and killed 1 or 2 but when I try and hunt them they seem to answer my calls but don't come within range to kill them. Any suggestions?

Coyotes are Tricky

This response submitted by JC on 2/1/05 at 2:02 PM. ( ) 205.204.242.22

I have a coyote problem at home in Breckinridge Conuty, Ky. I have got lucky and killed 1 or 2 but when I try and hunt them they seem to answer my calls but don't come within range to kill them. Any suggestions?

Coyotes are Tricky

This response submitted by JC on 2/1/05 at 2:03 PM. ( ) 205.204.242.22

I have a coyote problem at home in Breckinridge County, Ky. I have got lucky and killed 1 or 2 but when I try and hunt them they seem to answer my calls but don't come within range to kill them. Any suggestions?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu