Coyote red fox cross?

Submitted by cstamper@taxidermy-schools.com on 1/17/05 at 8:36 PM. ( Chip ) 66.140.215.56

I just purchased a coyote that was killed today. I have had more than my share of coyotes trough our shop and school. This is a little different. It is reddish colored, which in itself is not unusual. What is odd is that It has a white tip on its tail. It is average to above average size. I have had them with a few white hairs in the tail but never a white tip. Just thought It was kind of interesting and wondered if anyone has had one of these.

Chip Stamper
Missouri Taxidermy Institute

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Nope

This response submitted by cur on 1/17/05 at 8:57 PM. ( ) 4.226.78.179

To the best of my knowledge the two species cannot hybridize. The coyote can and frequently does interbreed with domestic dogs of all sizes and colors, and sometimes the results are spectacular. As far as I know that would be tantamount to crossing a lion with a cheetah, but many things are possible in the laboratory, even though not possible in the field. When a coyote catches up to a red fox under normal conditions, he just has lunch, and not a breeding partner.

No, but....

This response submitted by Doug on 1/17/05 at 9:02 PM. ( ) 64.18.236.220

There were TWO on ebay with white tipped tails last week...eh?! They were from western Montana. My experience is that coyotes would rather EAT reynard than mate. Of course, if the coyote was the male I could be wrong about that!(LMAO)

Chip

This response submitted by Dan Hudzik on 1/17/05 at 11:02 PM. ( hudzik@madisontelco.com ) 66.242.208.237

I have had coyotes with the white tipped tails but, there must be something about this winter because I just had a coyote that is so red that the color is just like a red fox. This one is completely red except on it's chin and chest. Then on the upper part of it's head it is really red with the exception of 2 white rings around it's eyes. Must be something in the midwest. I know 2 other people that said they have seen really red ones this year too. If everything goes right we'll get them too! LOL Dan Hudzik

Maybe

This response submitted by Alex on 1/17/05 at 11:14 PM. ( ) 66.32.151.235

It is Mixture of red wolfs with Coyote, this has being known to happen see ; http://wildwnc.org/af/redwolf.htmlee :

The red wolf even behaves as a coyote.

with our color phases here in the east...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/17/05 at 11:33 PM. ( ) 66.133.134.117

I always figured our "supercoyotes" up here were from the red wolf. The red wolf is known for its hybridizing with coyotes, and its got the same color phases we have, red, blonde and black, to name a few. We have other colors too, but our really orange colored ones are just like red fox. The color phases are beautiful, even if they ARE just a stinky coyote!

Coyote

This response submitted by Chip on 1/18/05 at 9:37 AM. ( ) 66.140.215.137

I don't think this coyote is part fox and I am sure it is not part wolf. It smells like all coyote. It is cool colored though.

Chip

DNA

This response submitted by cur on 1/18/05 at 1:49 PM. ( ) 4.253.68.172

The red fox was placed in a separate genus because of bone structures, but now that DNA research has come into play, a lot of linkage questions are being answered.

The red wolf is suspected to have been the product of interbreeding between the Eastern Wolf and the coyote. There are some who believe the red wolf is a remnant of the Eastern wolf, but the DNA evidence is so interlinked that the solutions is still a toss up.

Red foxes split out from the other canids so long ago, that there is nothing in the gene factor that would indicate they could interbreed. The coyote is a relatively recent and ongoing natural experiment and it has the same genetic material for dichromorphing as does the wolf. A myriad of color varieties can and do exist - especially since coyotes often breed with the domestic dog. Some taxonomists have recently to Canis lupis familaris because of the domestic breeds' linkage to wolves.

I have noticed that most coyotes have some white tail hairs at the tip. Some more than others. Perhaps the genetic condition that causes red color in canids is conspecific and also produces the white tail tip....who knows, not me, I am only guessing.

white tip

This response submitted by tommy on 1/18/05 at 2:57 PM. ( tommyh@snowflake.k12.az.us ) 69.45.69.25

I do a lot of varmint calling in arizona and have killed around 60 coyotes this year, LOTS of them have a few white hairs in there tails, but only about 5 this year have had an all white tip. so not rare but not real common.
tommy

to clarify

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/18/05 at 4:33 PM. ( ) 67.138.9.176

I was just rambling when I posted yesterday. I dont believe the guy thought they were crossed, coyotes and fox, for that color, just mentioning the odd white tip similar to the reds. If I had to say, it would be just plain NO. I DO believe, however, that the Red Wolf originally of Ark. has interbred enough with the coyotes moving east that our eastern coyote could be as related to it as the timber wolf. A lot of what I read actually suggests this, but you really dont hear to much about it. Around me it would be an excetion to see the white tipped tail on a coyote. I cant recall the last time I personally saw it, but Im sure it happens. Im guessing it looks pretty, the red coyote first mentioned here. Fun post to ponder!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu