Here is a quiz with a switch, have fun...from Cur

Submitted by cur on 1/19/05 at 11:45 AM. ( ) 4.227.101.247

Well, following Bill Yox's act is not easy, but here is a birder's test with a switch. I give you the answers and you tell me the question. Each of the species listed has a very distinct feature, habit or record title. There may be more than one valid answer for some, but the correct answer will supercede a secondary fact.

Ready?

1. Bald Eagle
2. Jordan's Courser
3. Dusky Seaside Sparrow
4. Kiwi
5. Ostrich
6. Jungle Fowl
7. Sulfur Crested Cockatoo
8. Wandering Albatross
9. Zebra Finch
10. Emperor Penguin
11. Owls
12. Gray-rumped Swiftlet
13. Rhinoceros Auklet
14. Ivory Gull
15. Marsh Warbler
16. Red-eyed Vireo
17. Red-billed Quela
18. Oilbirds
19. African Gray parrot
20. Barn Owl

Ok, remember the rule: The correct answer is what is in mind, but some birds are holders of more than one title, and some share features. What is required is the feature or situation that makes these very unique. Scientific names on request....

Have fun.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I'll break the seal on this quiz

This response submitted by gantry on 1/19/05 at 11:56 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.150

4. Kiwi lays an egg the size of Rhode Island, 1-20 all taste the same when ya soak em in catsup

This response submitted by John on 1/19/05 at 11:56 AM. ( JAKE2825@aol.com ) 64.12.116.136

That bird used to be seen on the forums a while back. Havent see his name here much lately. lol

#5 is the bird with the largest drumstick thats extant

This response submitted by gantry on 1/19/05 at 12:04 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.150

and thigh, neck,

wow

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/19/05 at 12:13 PM. ( ) 67.138.8.98

This is a good one. Its wide open, so its imperative we leave a little leeway for Cur with answers. Hahaha, Bill, you leave yourself open for some debate this time, lol.

This response submitted by Ron on 1/19/05 at 12:28 PM. ( ) 63.162.157.85

Is that what a rino gets when he's on house arrest?

#20 Monkey Owl

This response submitted by Friend of BAM on 1/19/05 at 12:30 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.150

you wanting the funny comb-like middle claw that only this member of the order has

Debate?

This response submitted by cur on 1/19/05 at 12:35 PM. ( ) 4.227.101.247

Bill, call Cecil for the debate.......Just call me the De-baiter.

Ron, No, a Rhino gets a nose ring.

Gantry, yep kiwi lays largest egg in relation to body size...but that is NOT the answer. That IS why Kiwi's have flaming A$$holes.

WHAT! MORE! COULD! YOU! WANT? KIWI

This response submitted by g on 1/19/05 at 12:40 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.150

14. here then that Ivory Gull is the only pure white gull, if you don't count his eyes(2) or legs(2)

ok KIWI answer

This response submitted by g on 1/19/05 at 12:42 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.150

the location of his nostrils opening

questions

This response submitted by wetnwild on 1/19/05 at 12:44 PM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

20. lives in barn
19. uses hair dye
18. never bath
17. wears lipstick
16. whos a wino?
15. who lives in a swamp?
14. what is a racist
13. horny fella
12. what is an old tushy?
11. what is a hooker?
10. self absorbed ruler
9. striper?
8. what is a drunk?
7. what is a scared chicken?
6. wild animal fart?
5. what rednecks do when they get off the chair?
4. metrosexual new zealand taxidermist?
3. what is a longshoreman?
2. what is Israel?
1. A happy bird

Well

This response submitted by cur on 1/19/05 at 1:08 PM. ( ) 4.227.101.247

Wetnwild.........you are close on some, off on others, way off on a few, and could get closer on the rest....LOL Regarding answer 2, you are confusing an F-16 with a avain species.

No, Gantry, that is not near the answer for the Ivory Gull...."F"

Gantry

This response submitted by cur on 1/19/05 at 1:31 PM. ( ) 4.227.101.247

After checking with the rules committee and fliping several coins, I read my tea leaves and have decided to give you # five Ostrich. Question would be, "What is the largest living bird species?"

Nineteen to go. Glaucous Gull is also white....unless it is embarassed.

Answers...

This response submitted by - on 1/19/05 at 1:33 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.82

The answer is - the thing that makes each bird on this unique is - it's DNA. Each species is unique to itself due to DNA. That obvious fact aside...

1. Bald Eagle
Chosen as # 2 to the turkey as the national bird of the USA. Eats fish. Over-rated.

3. Dusky Seaside Sparrow
Extinct. Or maybe just one still lives, but very doubtful, I vote extinct.

4. Kiwi
Nearly blind, completely flightless, and lays the largest egg in relation to body size of any bird.

5. Ostrich
Only bird which excretes uric acid and not solid urates.

6. Jungle Fowl
Which one Cur? The red is the ancestor to the domestic chicken, the grey cock is pelted for use in fishing flies, and the green is uncommon.

Most of the white cockatoos are similar. The citron-crested has a citron-orange crest, the lesser sulfur crested has yellow ear feathers, and the greater is a big white bird with a bright yellow crest. All scream, all shed powder down, and all love to cuddle.

8. Wandering Albatross
It flies around the whole world a lot. The radio-tracking studies just showed this.

9. Zebra Finch
Debated heavily where to put it in the finch taxon tree. The society finch is the one we still have no clue of it's origins, it's completely domesticated and the ancestry is unclear.

10. Emperor Penguin
The largest of the penguins, or is that the King?

11. Owls
Their eyes are so big that they have to turn their whole head to check out a new field of vision. They can rotate their head 270 degrees though. One ear is higher then the other.

12. Gray-rumped Swiftlet
Has a grey butt, vs. the edible-nest swiftlet that has tasty spit, which is why the Asians love to eat the nests of the edible-nest swiftlet.

17. Red-billed Quela
Said to be the most numerous bird on the planet.

19. African Gray parrot
I don't know exactly - BUT - mine can count to 6, can speak cat, budgie, cockatiel, English, and cuss, can dance, chases & calls the cat by name, calls the other birds by name, Geshundheit's himself when he sneezes, can purr & belch & hiccup, can work a key lock, and can do the phone and microwave noises better then the phone and microwave can do them. African Greys are said to have the best mimic ability, but Guiness says my friends the budgerigars actually have the biggest vocabularies. When they are excited or angry, they oscillate their pupils and fluff up their back feathers. They seldom scream, are very long-lived, and for the calm and patient bird owner, are the best! Besides budgies! :)

Cur, you should make this harder.
Is the cockatiel more closely related to the rosellas or the cockatoos?
Is the budgie more closely related to the rosellas or the kakariki?
Who is the most endangered parrot?
Rank the intelligence of the following 5 bird groups (5 being the smartest, 1 being the dumbest): pigeons, parrots, raptors, pheasants, jays / ravens.
What feature of Coturnix quail makes them unique?

i'll try

This response submitted by Griz on 1/19/05 at 2:45 PM. ( ) 69.66.87.250

1. strongest bird (carrying capacity)
2. This bird was believed to be extinct from India thirty years ago. It is the rarest bird in the world
3. What is the most recent vertebrate to become extinct in north America
4. has no tail, keenest sense of smell, and long incubation perios
5. - largest and tallest bird, largest domesticated bird
6. - first domesticated bird
7. - What is the most common and largest Cockatoo, you can distinguish between the sexes by the color of their eyes, oldest bird ever recorded in captivity
8. - widest wingspan
9. most broods raised in a year
10. - This diving bird is the one capable of the deepest dives
11. - What bird has the roundest eggs?
12. -This bird's nest is used for soup, making it the costliest.
13. - This bird digs its own burrow and only lies one egg it in per year, it has the deepest of all nest burrows,During breeding season they develop a "horn) on its beak.
14. Iv-This bird nest closest to the north pole
15. This bird has the most songs- and no it isn't the mockingbird.
16. - this songbird sings the most various songs
17. - most prolific bird
18. - this bird uses echolocation like bats
19. - largest vocabulary ever recorded
20. -keenest sense of hearing

OK Mr/Ms Dash.......Here's yer report card...

This response submitted by cur on 1/19/05 at 3:00 PM. ( ) 4.227.101.247

1. Bald Eagle
Chosen as # 2 to the turkey as the national bird of the USA. Eats fish. Over-rated. NOT the answer....Besides it was not "chosen " number two to the turkey....Franklin's comments have been widely exaggerated........He merely complained and said the turkey would at least warn that the redcoats were coming......bird was chosen by the clerk of the congress after seven years of debate...sound familiar?

2. ?

3. Dusky Seaside Sparrow
Extinct. Or maybe just one still lives, but very doubtful, I vote extinct. Everyone knows that...Not the answer.

4. Kiwi
Nearly blind, completely flightless, and lays the largest egg in relation to body size of any bird. True, but Not the answer.....Answer is more base than that.

5. Ostrich
Only bird which excretes uric acid and not solid urates. Nope....Told ya gantry got it....

6. Jungle Fowl
Which one Cur? The red is the ancestor to the domestic chicken, the grey cock is pelted for use in fishing flies, and the green is uncommon. What is significant? Species doesn't matter.........NOT, but close to the house......

Most of the white cockatoos are similar. The citron-crested has a citron-orange crest, the lesser sulfur crested has yellow ear feathers, and the greater is a big white bird with a bright yellow crest. All scream, all shed powder down, and all love to cuddle. NOPE!

8. Wandering Albatross
It flies around the whole world a lot. The radio-tracking studies just showed this. NOPE...but something to do with it.

9. Zebra Finch
Debated heavily where to put it in the finch taxon tree. The society finch is the one we still have no clue of it's origins, it's completely domesticated and the ancestry is unclear. NOPE.........Answer is in the numbers....

10. Emperor Penguin
The largest of the penguins, or is that the King? Size doesn't matter...NOPE!

11. Owls
Their eyes are so big that they have to turn their whole head to check out a new field of vision. They can rotate their head 270 degrees though. One ear is higher then the other. Rotation has something to do with it...NOPE....

12. Gray-rumped Swiftlet
Has a grey butt, vs. the edible-nest swiftlet that has tasty spit, which is why the Asians love to eat the nests of the edible-nest swiftlet. Well, well, we got one.....edible nest.....RIGHT

17. Red-billed Quela
Said to be the most numerous bird on the planet. Dang! That is two you got....RIGHT..most populous.

18.?

19. African Gray parrot
I don't know exactly - BUT - mine can count to 6, can speak cat, budgie, cockatiel, English, and cuss, can dance, chases & calls the cat by name, calls the other birds by name, Geshundheit's himself when he sneezes, can purr & belch & hiccup, can work a key lock, and can do the phone and microwave noises better then the phone and microwave can do them. African Greys are said to have the best mimic ability, but Guiness says my friends the budgerigars actually have the biggest vocabularies. When they are excited or angry, they oscillate their pupils and fluff up their back feathers. They seldom scream, are very long-lived, and for the calm and patient bird owner, are the best! Besides budgies! :) ......Close, but no bananna, all the right reasons, all the wrong logic...NOPE...

Rank the intelligence of the following 5 bird groups (5 being the smartest, 1 being the dumbest): pigeons, parrots, raptors, pheasants, jays / ravens.
What feature of Coturnix quail makes them unique?

This is my test, keep your questions for your own...LOL..

If this is so easy, why do you have only two correct answers?

OK, Griz, you stand at 75%

This response submitted by cur on 1/19/05 at 3:11 PM. ( ) 4.227.101.247

1. strongest bird (carrying capacity) That too, but NOPE......could be a tie breaker your answer gets my stamp of approval...unless the right one comes along....

2. This bird was believed to be extinct from India thirty years ago. It is the rarest bird in the world....RIGHT!

3. What is the most recent vertebrate to become extinct in north America....RIGHT

4. has no tail, keenest sense of smell, and long incubation perios.....Tail it has...but?

5. - largest and tallest bird, largest domesticated bird.......gantry already got that by default

6. - first domesticated bird..RIGHT

7. - What is the most common and largest Cockatoo, you can distinguish between the sexes by the color of their eyes, oldest bird ever recorded in captivity.......Last answer is RIGHT...longest lived so far....

8. - widest wingspan...NOPE

9. most broods raised in a year....RIGHT

10. - This diving bird is the one capable of the deepest dives........nuther tie breaker, but NOPE

11. - What bird has the roundest eggs?........RIGHT...

12. -This bird's nest is used for soup, making it the costliest.....RIGHT

13. - This bird digs its own burrow and only lies one egg it in per year, it has the deepest of all nest burrows,During breeding season they develop a "horn) on its beak.........Burrows up to 30 feet...RIGHT

14. Iv-This bird nest closest to the north pole.......RIGHT

15. This bird has the most songs- and no it isn't the mockingbird....RIGHT most mimiced songs of other species.

16. - this songbird sings the most various songs ......RIGHT most notes in a time span

17. - most prolific bird........well, I guess, but most numerous is better....RIGHT.

18. - this bird uses echolocation like bats...RIGHT

19. - largest vocabulary ever recorded.........NOPE, but a clue

20. -keenest sense of hearing........YEP.....RIGHT

Dang, Griz......15 out of 20 and no questions of your own?

15 Down, Five to go

This response submitted by cur on 1/19/05 at 3:12 PM. ( ) 4.227.101.247

Griz is quick on the trigger....LOL

Five to go...

wandering albatross...

This response submitted by Griz on 1/19/05 at 4:18 PM. ( ) 69.66.86.158

has the most secondary flight feathers, one of the longest incubation periods, and one of the oldest breeding maturity ages at 6-8 years

# 1

This response submitted by Griz on 1/19/05 at 4:20 PM. ( ) 69.66.86.158

What bird has the largest nest in a tree ever recorded?

This response submitted by Griz on 1/19/05 at 4:24 PM. ( ) 69.66.86.158

What bird has the keenest sense of smell and the shortest tail, as well as one of the longest incubation periods?

# 4 = nocturnal

This response submitted by Kiwi on 1/19/05 at 4:24 PM. ( Ok Cur I will bite (-: ) 210.54.193.26

only comes out at night and there is more than one species of Kiwi birds .....

As for the Kiwi bloke, that's whole different subject,

Kiwi birds in the old days use to eat snakes but found them to be tasteless slimy a not of very good protean so now days they beat em with there large feet and poke there eyes out with there long beaks and use them as a play toy.......(-; back at ya went_wild_and-Silly (-:

This response submitted by Griz on 1/19/05 at 4:27 PM. ( ) 69.66.86.158

What bird is considered the most intelligent, partly due to it's large vocabulary and ability to talk?

This response submitted by Griz on 1/19/05 at 4:31 PM. ( ) 69.66.86.158

What bird is the most cold tolerent, deepest diving, and capable of staying underwater the longest(up to fifteen minutes)? hint: these birds are also considered the most dedicated incubators.

to sum it all up....

This response submitted by Griz on 1/19/05 at 4:42 PM. ( ) 69.66.86.158

1. What bird is strongest, and build the biggest tree nest?
2. What is the rarest bird in the world? 3. What is the most recent vertebrate to become extinct in north America?
4. What bird has the keenest sense of smell and the shortest tail, as well as one of the longest overall incubation periods?
5. What is the largest and tallest bird, making it also the largest domesticated bird?
6. What was the first domesticated bird?
7. What is the most common and largest Cockatoo, you can distinguish between the sexes by the color of their eyes,but most uniquely the oldest bird ever recorded in captivity?
8. What bird has the widest wingspan, has the most secondary flight feathers, one of the longest incubation periods, and one of the oldest breeding maturity ages at 6-8 years?
9. What bird raises the most broods in a year?
10. What bird is the most cold tolerent, deepest diving, and capable of staying underwater the longest(up to fifteen minutes)? hint: these birds are also considered the most dedicated incubators.
11. What bird lays the roundest eggs?
12.What bird's nest is used for soup, making it the costliest?
13. What bird digs its own burrow and only lies one egg it in per year, it has the deepest of all nest burrows,and during breeding season they develop a "horn) on their beak?
14. What bird nests closest to the north pole?
15. What bird has the most songs?- and no it isn't the mockingbird.
16. What songbird sings the most various songs ?
17. What bird is the most numerous?
18. What bird uses echolocation like bats?
19. What bird is considered the most intelligent, partly due to it's large vocabulary and ability to talk?
20. What bird has the keenest sense of hearing?

i ain't as smart as some people but...

This response submitted by Griz on 1/19/05 at 5:14 PM. ( ) 69.66.86.158

here is my pathetic contribution to our trivia. I ain't offering no great prizes and i figured with all the knowledge in here i wasn't gonna stump anybody with science or biology or zoology questions so you get four random questions.....

What was hitlers favorite movie?

What is "Spanish fly) and what is it made out of?

What is the most shoplifted book in the world?

You give your waiters and waitresses tips, but what does it stand for?

OK griz and dash

This response submitted by cur on 1/19/05 at 5:26 PM. ( ) 4.225.174.55

Griz:

1. NOPE! Not yet and this is your second chance to get my stamp of approval.

8. Pick one...answer is in there

10. Ditto.....which is correct?

19. Close but not it...NOPE

Rest are correct...

And DASH person: Your questions require speculative answers, since sources vary in opinions.

See below:

Well, you are splitting hairs on this issue. Ornithologists are divided over the replationships. Some believe they are linked to the Cockatoos, and other link them to the Rosellas (parakeets). I went to buy a parakeets once but they only had one for sale.

New Zealand researchers have determined that the evolution of the Cyanoramphus species, using mitochondria DNA, suggests that the most ancient of this group is the Chatham Islands parakeet (Forbes' parakeet, C. forbesi), which first arose about 440,000 years ago, with the remaining species evolving at various times between 280,000 and 30,000 years ago. Bugerigars are of Australian origin and share common ancestry with the Rosellas, based on DNA results.

("WHO?") Depends on the terms of endearment.

Echo Parakeet - Psittacula echo 15-18 specimens known just a few years ago, but numbers are increasing in the wild and now are in the hundreds.

Spix's Macaw - Cyanopsitta spixii May be extinct in the wild, but a captive breeding program exists.

Kakapo - Strigops habroptilus Probably the rarest extant species in the wild with just around 60 specimens remaining.

Well, Jays and Ravens are cousins to crows and the whole dang family is smart. Test and requirement parameters would probably preclude rating any bird on a human intelligence level. The results would vary, depending on the yardstick used to indicate intelligence. I would place the jays, crows and their kind on top of the list, but measuring the remainder would depend on so many variables that I would be inclined not to guess. Parrots are intelligent, but that is measured as much by an ability to mimic as by any other ability.
Pigeons have been known to discern subtle differences between designs and paintings and between artists' works. Predators like the Harris Hawk are know to hunt in packs by organization. Some raptors carry prey high into the sky to drop it so that it breaks on impact......and gulls do that too.

I would place the pheasant at the bottom of the pile, although some gallinaceous fowl learn a lot of rote procedures.....as in dancing chickens and the like. I would place the Jays and crow family at the top, and the phanianus at the bottom and let a room full of experts fight over the middle. That is a loaded question, subject to conjecture and difficult to rank by single method.

What feature of Coturnix quail makes them unique? Visual cognitive powers like the pigeon because they MIGRATE.

GRIZ

This response submitted by CapeFear on 1/19/05 at 7:52 PM. ( cftaxidermy.alltel.net ) 67.141.244.140

TIPS = To Insure Prompt Service

This response submitted by Griz on 1/19/05 at 10:09 PM. ( ) 69.66.87.32

What was the first bird to appear on a postage stamp?

#8 i will say the oldest sexual maturity even though i believe all that i said was correct, i figured the other traits were unique and interesting so i included them

#10 same here, i think all i said was correct, but i will go with " what bird can stay submerged the longest? "

#19 huh all i can think is maybe i am overthinking it and dancing around it, i guess i could go with the flat out " what bird is the most talkative?" other than that i think i will have to give in

cape fear....

This response submitted by Griz on 1/19/05 at 10:10 PM. ( ) 69.66.87.32

yep to insure prompt serive you give t.i.p.s.

OK griz

This response submitted by cur on 1/19/05 at 10:28 PM. ( ) 4.225.174.55

The bald eagle was the first wildlife species to appear on a US postage stamp....That was answer #1.....largest lift capacity #2

Emperor penguin has the longest continuous brooding (nesting period.

Gray parrot has the largest vocabulary......you hit all around it...It is recorded at more than 800 words (sounds).

You are right about the albatross with the longest period to sexual maturity.

OK, quiz over....I had fun, wish more folks would get involved. we are the sum of our experience. To exclude ourselves from these games is to admit that what makes us what we are is inconsequential. We taxidermists ARE wildlife, and wildlife is US......

Until next time....see yas

Griz wins.....Look out Gantry!

This response submitted by cur on 1/19/05 at 10:39 PM. ( ) 4.225.170.7

Griz gonna kick yer butt!

it's amazing how much you learn...

This response submitted by Griz on 1/19/05 at 10:50 PM. ( ) 69.66.85.109

just trying to find the answers... it's also amazing how much some people on here know... and it's also amazing how much i should have got done today but didn't :) oh well i did get SOME things done

Cur been packing for the hunting /fishing trip at Cecils

This response submitted by Gantry on 1/19/05 at 11:37 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.116

been doing the legal thing today, so I wasn't here to play, been packing for our northern combo hunting deer at night/ dynamiting fish during the day trip, I gots my crossing the border/river papers in order too.....you taking any shoes, shore don't want to appear too fancy, and make our guest uncomfortable.....

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu