Shop Built Wire Wheel Fleshing Machine

Submitted by H on 1/19/05 at 1:58 PM. ( ) 69.23.215.144

Thought I would share how I built my own wire wheel fleshing machine for those that would like to attempt it.

Look at this site to see pictures of it. I hid the tab to the pictures so you have to use the following link:

http://www.foreverauthentic.com/Default.aspx?tabid=151

It is made from 3/4" melamine, clear plastic sheet of your choosing, dimmer switch, small amount of electric romex, corded plug, a shaft coupling from Grainger, thin diameter wire wheel and two hardwood blocks to hold the plastic sheet in place. It's pretty easy to see from the pictures how it goes together. I used fiberglass resin to seal the heads of the screws that show on the front.

Clean up is a breeze and the dimmer allows a great deal of control depending on what is needed. I use it for cleaning skulls, thinning faces on deer, bird degreasing, etc. A real handy piece of equipment. I think I have $40 in costs because some of the pieces I had laying around, including the motor.

If you figure in your time, it's probably a wash for how much it cost in reality but I enjoy projects like this and so I had fun with it. It's a very simple design with no bells and whistles but it works great.

Enjoy - H

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Nice

This response submitted by Larry on 1/19/05 at 3:33 PM. ( ) 216.110.11.21

Very simple design, I like it.

I actually made a melamine box with a plexiglass top for mine, and the motor shaft on mine is longer so I have a lot more room to get under the brush. Also, my motor has three bolts that attach it directly to the back melamine board, and the weight of the melamine boards offset the weight of my motor so it needs no extra support.

Lots of ways to skin a cat!

Motor?

This response submitted by Matt on 1/19/05 at 4:59 PM. ( ) 64.233.104.82

What size motor is that? Where did you get it and what was the cost of it?

Motor

This response submitted by H on 1/20/05 at 2:33 PM. ( ) 69.23.215.144

It is a Westinghouse - 1/2 HP 1725 RPM motor. It was free to me because I knew someone in the washing machine repair business so I'm not sure what it would be new. I'm sure you could get a functional motor off of a washing machine that was being thrown out.

H

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu