George Britannica vs. Taxidermy.net Day 1, 2005

Submitted by Glen Conley on 1/1/05 at 1:28 AM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.104.96.167

For those of you who were not here last year......we got something like a contest going on. Who ever gets all the answers correct first, wins a free taxidermy reference photo disk from the Whitetail Designer Systems collection, unless you are George Britannica, then you just get to save your honor. The disk contents will be e-mailed to you.

Today's questions were prepared by some kid that goes by "cur". Taking a hand full of Carter's Little Liver Pills, and answering the questions below should clear up any hang over you might have.

cur will be your monitor for the day, so play nice.

1. If a deer's hind legs were to be compared to the pistons in an engine, to what would you compare the forelegs?

2. Name the mammal with the fewest cervical vertebrae, fused or not.

3. Which species of life form is sometimes a grandmother before becoming a mother?

4. Everyone knows about Darwin's famous theory of evolution, but:
A. What was the name of his ship?
B. How did the ship get it's name?
C. Who was Captain of Darwin's vessel?
D. What was the Captain's field of expertise?
E. What kind of ship was it? (Class)
F. What was Darwin's salary while on the voyage?
G. What did Darwin leave behind that was standard accompaniment on every voyage of that era?

5. Which species of mammal in North America has sexually dimorphic coloration?

6. Name the two main groups of flatfish.

7. Many Antarctic fish species have what peculiar feature?

8. If you set a box trap and catch a Barrabea, a Jimmialong and a Wambenger, where did you physically locate your trap?

9. If you were to view a, "Harpy", and it wasn't an eagle, or even a bird, what did you see?

10. If you were bitten by a Pinche, what sunk it's teeth into your flesh?

11. You on a mission to collect specimens. At the end of the first day, in the bags you have Guachos, Killies, Medakas, Rivulis and a Golden Pheasant. Which life forms from what Family have do you have?

12. Name at least two species of common food fish that are sole members of their respective Families.

13. Which bird makes it's mate a prisoner by walling it into a confined space?

14. You are walking near a meadow in the evening. It is summer and you hear a sound in the sky overhead that sounds like a rubber band's twanging. What made the sound, and how?

15. Bonus questions:
A. How many thoracic bands are on a nine-banded armadillo?
B. Name a mammal that is one of the seven deadly sins.
C. What color was George Washington's White Horse?
D. Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?
E. What do you call a cow with no legs?
F. What is the difference between a catfish and a lawyer?
G. You spend the day hunting. By days end you have nine Squirrels, four Rabbits, and a Potfer. What's a Potfer?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

egads

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/1/05 at 3:59 AM. ( ) 67.138.15.230

1) the tires or steering
2) I thought they all had the same number
3) plants
4) A-Beagle
B-the Mayflower was already taken
C-Robert Fitz Roy
D-meteorology
E-cherokee, brig sloop
F-none
G-ummm, I think he forgot the ship keys
5) red bat, males are different color than females
6) flounder, (halibut, sole, fluke) and lazy Ikes ( the lure. its a joke, guys!)
7) illumination
8) in Australia, mate
9) one of those monsters on the castles or buildings
10) a doberman
11) tropical fish, Cyprinodontidae
12)
13)
14) woodcock and snipe both do it with the tapered primaries of the wings
15) A-9
B-female human
C-grey
D-Jimmy Hoffa, there, that takes care of TWO mysteries!
E-a hamburger...ok, a seal
F-the retainer
G-its fer the 4 rabbits and 9 squirrels

Close, but no bananna

This response submitted by cur on 1/1/05 at 4:48 AM. ( ) 4.252.241.185

My new year party is over as of now...........

1. Nope
2. Nope
3. Nope
4. A - Yep B - Nope C - Yep (Fitzroy) D - Yep E - Yep F - Yep G - Nope
5. Yep
6. Nope
7. Nope
8. Yep
9. Nope
10. Nope
11. Yep (Killifishes)
12. Nope
13. Nope
14. Nope, no bananna, but that was a good try.
15. A. Yep, that's a gimmie B. That too, but that is not the answer. C. Nope D. Nope....but it could be... E. Nope
F. Nope, but nice answer.Catfish only needs retainer if teeth are bad. G. Yep, fer to cook 'em in.

Not bad for a midnite shot.....this party dog is gone to bed.....

Cur

This response submitted by Kiwi on 1/1/05 at 5:22 AM. ( Cur missed fishes hehehehe ) 210.54.193.73

I take it that the Nope's are the missed mullets that you were firing at with your 468 when we were chatting lastnight ...lol

I Guess its a aspirin and water for breakfast this morning (-:

And dont worry I wont say anything to anyone what you said about Evelyn and silicone (.)(.)

(-:

Always go for the bonus questions,

This response submitted by Elwood Gantry on 1/1/05 at 10:46 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.158

you trying to trick Mr. Gantry
15. a nine
b sloth
c white
d nobody is BURIED in Grants tomb
e ground beef
f one is a %%$%^&* scavenger the other is just a fish
g the potfer is whats Cur's gonna cook them squirrels
and rabbits in

#9... I haven't seen one of these in years

This response submitted by Endrometritis Gantry on 1/1/05 at 11:04 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.158

if you ain't talking slan Cur in reference to them seals , your going way back to your childhood talking about Harpymimus okladnikovi

some of the answers

This response submitted by Mr. T on 1/1/05 at 11:05 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.69

1. If a deer's hind legs were to be compared to the pistons in an engine, to what would you compare the forelegs?
Shock absorbers
2. Name the mammal with the fewest cervical vertebrae, fused or not. Chimps and man, no tails
3. Which species of life form is sometimes a grandmother before becoming a mother?
Don't know
4. Everyone knows about Darwin's famous theory of evolution, but:
A. What was the name of his ship? Hms Beagle
B. How did the ship get it's name? No one really knows, it was the 9th Beagle out of 150 ships of that class built. 8 Beagles before her.
C. Who was Captain of Darwin's vessel? Cap. Robert Fitz Roy
D. What was the Captain's field of expertise? British Naval Officer, Hydrographer, Colonial Governor and Meteorologist.
E. What kind of ship was it? (Class) Warship, Cherokee class
F. What was Darwin's salary while on the voyage? Zero, he volunteered
G. What did Darwin leave behind that was standard accompaniment on every voyage of that era? Sea sick pills and a women.
5. Which species of mammal in North America has sexually dimorphic coloration? Male Birds?
6. Name the two main groups of flatfish. Barn door ( halibut) and the one-sided Flounder
7. Many Antarctic fish species have what peculiar feature? Anti-freeze for blood or electric lights.
8. If you set a box trap and catch a Barrabea, a Jimmialong and a Wambenger, where did you physically locate your trap? Australia
9. If you were to view a, "Harpy", and it wasn't an eagle, or even a bird, what did you see? A Harpo Marx movie. Or a harmonica player.
10. If you were bitten by a Pinche, what sunk it's teeth into your flesh? A SON OF A ,,,,ouch.
11. You on a mission to collect specimens. At the end of the first day, in the bags you have Guachos, Killies, Medakas, Rivulis and a Golden Pheasant. Which life forms from what Family have do you have? A South American cowboy and some fish?
12. Name at least two species of common food fish that are sole members of their respective Families. Ones that taste good, and ones that don't.
13. Which bird makes it's mate a prisoner by walling it into a confined space? The Hornbill
1. 14. You are walking near a meadow in the evening. It is summer and you hear a sound in the sky overhead that sounds like a rubber band's twanging. What made the sound, and how? A rubber band powered toy airplane. By winding the rubber band backwards and loading it up to unwind when let go of, turning the prop as the kid gives it an assisted throw over you're head.

15. Bonus questions:
A. How many thoracic bands are on a nine-banded armadillo? 9
B. Name a mammal that is one of the seven deadly sins. Sloth
C. What color was George Washington's White Horse? White
D. Who is buried in Grant's Tomb? Grant
E. What do you call a cow with no legs? Ground beef, two legs, lean beef.
F. What is the difference between a catfish and a lawyer? Ones a scum sucking bottom dweller, and the other is a fish
G. You spend the day hunting. By days end you have nine Squirrels, four Rabbits, and a Potfer. What's a Potfer? Kooken!

#2 no backbone Clinton

This response submitted by Gantry on 1/1/05 at 11:09 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.158

ok I go with the Kola, thats my final answer

Mr T birds aren't mammal the answer to #5. Chiroptera

This response submitted by Gantry on 1/1/05 at 11:16 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.158

unless this is a "BATTY" trick question

I forgot

This response submitted by Mr. T on 1/1/05 at 11:18 AM. ( ) 64.31.6.69

There not? When did that change?

#6 I am a sole man, I am a flounder man

This response submitted by eg on 1/1/05 at 11:28 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.158

Got what I got the hard way
And I'll make it better each and every day
So honey don't you fret
Cause you ain't seen nothing yet

I'm a soul man,
I am a flounder man

Bothidae and Pleuronectidae soles and flounders

I'm gonna fill in a couple!

This response submitted by Amethyst / Wolf on 1/1/05 at 11:28 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

1 Not telling yet
2 Not telling yet
3 Aphid
4 A)HMS Beagle #9
B)got its name from #8, from #7, from #6, from #5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and probably got the name for Beagle #1 off a list written just for naming ships as they were made.
C)Robert Fitzroy
D)meteorology
E)Cherokee class
F)He wasn't paid a salary
G)don't have a clue
5 Red bat
6 Not telling
7 Not telling
8 Aussie-land! Wambenger=Bush-tailed Marsupial mouse, Jimmialong=Duck-billed Platypus, Barrabea=I didn't find so I'm not telling
9 Not telling
10 A marmoset like monkey
11 Cyprinodontidae
12 not telling
13 not telling
14 don't have a clue
15 A)9
B)sloth
C)Blue, purple, red? I know this one...um, White
D)No one is buried there, Grant and his wife are entombed
E)Ground beef
F)One is a bottom-dwelling, scum suckinging scavenger, the other is a fish.
G) A potfer cooking the beasties in.

I don't wanna give them all away ;-) I'll be back later with a couple more answers.

#4 g: his limes

This response submitted by Gantry on 1/1/05 at 12:01 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.112

or was it the Alpo for his Beagle

#10 speak Portuguese don't ya Cur

This response submitted by Emilio Gantry on 1/1/05 at 12:29 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.112

O Sr. Gaither Eu acredita que a resposta em protugese o tamarin, EL Pinche

#14 Progne subis in love

This response submitted by Gantry on 1/1/05 at 12:47 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.112

a "Progne subis" playing Purple Haze on a Martin Guitar

Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Purple haze all around
Don't know if I'm comin' up or down
Am I happy or in misery?
What ever it is, that girl put a spell on me
Help me
Help me

ok boys and girls

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/1/05 at 1:33 PM. ( ) 67.138.14.202

Ill stick to a couple of my answers, but a few were a bit tongue-in-cheek, I hope you guys knew that. Woodcock and snipe do indeed do as I said, and make the noise described, so Ill pop that back into the yep column, thanks! Of course you knew I put a female human as a sin, as opposed to the obvious sloth...I couldnt resist (no pun intended!) Im going to stick with the harpy as those castle monster scultures too. Hahaha, I like BOTH my cow answers.

Seriously, though? Those were tough questions, and Im truly not that versed in that many different areas. It was fun playing though. Carry on!

Another round

This response submitted by Wolf on 1/1/05 at 1:36 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

1 shock absorbers Mr. T got it
2 is Gerboa, a kind of kangaroo rat
6 Pleuronectidae - right eyed and Bothidae - left eyed
13 Hornbills

Senors e Solteras

This response submitted by cur e diabro on 1/1/05 at 1:44 PM. ( ) 4.227.11.249

Senor Gantry con dios.

Si hafla Portuguesa. Era uma vez em uma ilhu, esta la mamallia con numa est Pinche. El hombre de los manos est un Tamarindo, um specia los marmoseto. Numa de vernaculosa Los Tierra los Latinos est Pinche.......Si senor, numero nove est correctio. Obregato!

Bon dias, Los Lobolindos! Su est teingo nao permissio por entrada esta forum aqui!

That was not nice!......you just couldn't wait to shoot answers in here, could ya?.......

Nobody is close to a lot of them......Glen sets the rule, first one to get them all right gets a free trip to the post office for a reference thingy.

Now that I am alive and back on both feet.....albeit hungover...think I will wander down to the dock and see how many mullet I centered last night. I must have cranked that round dead into a school of those beach carp, cause a bunch floated up from the shock. Neighbors called this morning and wondered if I busted off some dynamite...LOL.....Ain't nothing like the sound of a .458 at midnight......he he he.

Mr. Yox that Cur's sneaky choice of words, "it is summer"

This response submitted by Gantry says stay out of Col Beans meadow on 1/1/05 at 2:04 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.112

probably post dates the woodcocks love song which here is in late February March and April, I still think its a purple martin playing an air guitar, twang twang twang....could be a raven too!
Might even be a member of the order Odonata breaking the sound barrier setting off twanging sonic booms to Curs ears.....and if Curs walking in ole Col. Bean's meadow without permission that twanging might be the sound of Colonel's 22 long rifle's ricocheting "overhead that sounds like a rubber band's twanging"

Here goes my guess

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/1/05 at 2:19 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

1.shock absorbers
2. most have seven but an armadillo has nine
3. loin ( they babysit alot )
4.( A )Hms. Beagle (B) this was the 9th Beagle . The first was named Beagle because they are trustworthy hounds. (C) Robert Fitzroy ( 23 years old ) (D) meterology (E) cherokee , big sloop (F) none (G) eight children
5. Red bat
6. Flounder / fluke and Halibut
7. Blood is loaded with glycoproteins to depress freezing temperatures
8. In Austrailia
9. Harp seal
10. Rabbit
11. Tropical fish ( Killifish )
12. Bowfin and Mahi Mahi
13. Hornbill ( male muds up entrance while female is nesting to keep out preditors )
14. Katydid sound is made by rubbing forewings together
15. (A) 9 (B) sloth (C) white but his favorite was a chestnut arabian (D) no one (E) nothing. it won't come if you call it anyway ! (F)catfish are naturaly slimmy (G) cooking

HA HA HA I busted the cow question Cur !

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/1/05 at 2:40 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I also fired a few rounds from my 54 caliber black powder rifle lastnight ! My neighbor was lighting bottle rockets and i timed my first round perfectly ! LOL He about fell over at the thunderous boom that tiny rocket supposedly made ! LOL

Wolfie, Bill, Bradlee

This response submitted by cur on 1/1/05 at 3:09 PM. ( ) 4.226.213.60

You are making this too easy.......you had help last night....and that isn't fair to those who are trying.........

Number three was fair, you already knew the answer to that one, I'll give you that.

Bill, you are correct about the noise made by the whirring wings of woodcock, and to some extent snipe. But that is not what I have in mind.

Bradlee, you are working hard. Bowfin is NOT a food fish, except in Louisiana where folks eat everything and anything....LOL

Gantry got number nine........er, ah, close, and number 10

Most of the sloops in Cherokee Class were named after birds or mammals, there was even an HMS Rattlesnake. The Royal Naval Registery didn't retire names when ships were sunk or retired. The simply reassigned the name to a new vessel. The HMS Beagle was the ninth ship to be assigned the name.......I understand it was slow because it was a Dawg.

And, Mr. Gantry, Progne subis, it ain't. Martins lack the split primaries and cannot produce the sound.......besides how could they sneak up on bugs with buzzing wings?

Mahi mahi, the dolphin fish or dorado is not represented by a single species in it's Family. The bowfin is, but no banana, since it is not a food fish, or widespread outside the Southeastern USA.

Wolfie, play fair.......Bradlee gonna get you if Elmer don't...LOL

And Mr. Elegant Gantry

This response submitted by cur on 1/1/05 at 3:26 PM. ( ) 4.226.213.60

I should have said two groups of Flounders, but that would have given the answer away too easily, actually soles are members of the Family Soleidae......and most have no tail, almost hardly, like frogs...LOL
Halibut and Winter Flounders are typical examples of Right-eyed flounders, and the Southern, Atlantic and Gulf flounder are typical examples of left-eyed doormats. Flip 'em all over and you get, NO eyed flounders.

I have got to buy a new keyboard.....this one has had too much dust, coffee and cigar ashes spilt on it.........keeps droppin out letters.....or my left hand is going to pot.....one or t'other.

Could have been Haley's Comet if this was the summer of 1986

This response submitted by Galieo Gantry on 1/1/05 at 3:44 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.112

14. You are walking near a meadow in the evening. It is summer and you hear a sound in the sky overhead that sounds like a rubber band's twanging. What made the sound, and how?

its the sound of a goat sucker aka "bullbat" slurping in a bug, twang!

Mr. Gantry knows the 2 kinds of flounders

This response submitted by G on 1/1/05 at 3:50 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.84

1. Fried Flounder stuffed with crab meat
2. Plain Fried Flounder

This response submitted by Mr. T on 1/1/05 at 4:05 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.151

Is it The bull-roarer? simple wooden slat whirled in a circle on the end of a cord so that it rotates about its axis and produces a pulsating low-pitched roar. Used down under by aborigne bushman.

ok have i rode this bull 8 seconds yet

This response submitted by gantry on 1/1/05 at 4:52 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.84

1 shock absorbers
2 gerboa

3 Aphid
4 A)HMS Beagle #9
B)naming ships after animals was common practice for the British Royal Navy this was Beagle #3
C)Robert Fitzroy
D)meteorology
E)Cherokee class
F)He wasn't paid a salary
G) cannons

5 Red bat, cetaceans
6 Pleuronectidae - right eyed and Bothidae - left eyed

7 blood in their veins contains antifreeze proteins and glycoproteins

8 australia

9 Harpymimus

10 A marmoset tamarin,
11 Cyprinodontidae
12 catfish paddelfish
13 Hornbills

14 bullbat
15 A)9
B)sloth
C) White
D)No one is buried there, Grant and his wife are above ground in a tomb
E)Ground beef
F)One is a bottom-dwelling, scum suckinging scavenger, the other is a fish.
G) A potfer cooking the rabbit squirrel.

like I said once...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/1/05 at 5:27 PM. ( ) 67.138.12.13

Im beyond my range of knowledge here already, but its fun. Even lobbying for my favorite answers is sorta fun, in a pathetic kind of way. I enjoy the stuff I can run off the top of my head, which, these days, does not include much hair. When ya have to look it up, it smells like homework, and I still can remember that! You folks that can still answer from memory, or even reference at arms length have my admiration, as I couldnt begin to guess from here. Thanks guys, though, as I say, this stuff can be fun!

Sorry gotta shoot at this again

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/1/05 at 5:48 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

Been running these questions for about nine hours now . Gonna shoot for number 12 again. Going with Flounder and Halibut . Aren't they sole fish family ? Cur , I do believe your questions are driving me crazy ! LOL
Bradlee

I know about the hair Bill

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/1/05 at 5:53 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I have pulled out most of mine just today ! LOL Now I look like Benjamin Franklin as an old hippie ! LOL
Bradlee

My head hurts

This response submitted by Mr. T on 1/1/05 at 6:06 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.118

Cur, you are to much, for me, Like Yoxy, this smells like homework, did I get the first one right anyway? I got to bow out, the family is wondering who I am today.

Stab number 2 ?

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/1/05 at 6:13 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

The manatee and sloths have six cervical vertebrae maybe this is a tie ? These are hard , yet , I love a good challenge ! Bradlee

9 billion fish in the world and your talking mushrooms

This response submitted by Icaughtcarpaltunneloverthis Gantry on 1/1/05 at 6:19 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.84

Cur these are might tasty fried up "Aphredoderus sayanus" they are food, they are fish and boy mmm-good, especially dipped in Kerry oppps Heinz ketchup, and nowto answer the trick question, the answer: the fish your referring too is the dry land fish aka the morel, hickory chicken or monkey doo, but today they are dry land fish Right!

so with all the guesses...

This response submitted by Griz on 1/1/05 at 6:31 PM. ( ) 69.66.35.160

I haven't been able to keep track of which ones have been answered correctly and which ones haven't, so which ones are we still trying to figure out?

Have to repair

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/1/05 at 6:31 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

The catfish and lawyer one is indeed : one is a bottom dwelling , scumsucking ,scavengers . the other is just a fish. Bradlee

Cur has wired Gantry a mesage, give up Gantry! "NUTS"

This response submitted by Straitjacket Gantry on 1/1/05 at 6:38 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.84

They're coming to take me away, HA HA
They're coming to take me away, HO HO HEE HEE HA HA
To the funny farm
Where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see
Those nice, young men
In their clean, white coats
And they're coming to take me away, Ha-haaa!

You thought it was a joke
And so you laughed
You laughed when I had said
That losing your trivia would make me flip my lid
Right. . .

You know you laughed, I heard you laugh
You laughed, you laughed and laughed
And then you left
But now you know I'm utterly mad!
And. . .

They're coming to take me away, HA HA
They're coming to take me away, HO HO HEE HEE HA HA

Question 4 (G)

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/1/05 at 6:51 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

Just trying again . He left his notebooks behind? I am losing my mind ! LOL Great stuff ! Bradlee

Sorry Cur Correct me if I am wrong

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/1/05 at 7:26 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

For question number ten .If bitten by a pinche , You were just bitten by a gay Mexican house boy ! LOL Atleast that is what this term means in spanish slang ! Grew up in Arizona and just had a terrible flashback ! LOL ! JUst struck by a human I rekon ! Bradlee

Cur , I just wish

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/1/05 at 7:33 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I could have the life and experience that you have . Your web site rules and so do you Brother ! LOL Thanks for the questions that drove me nuts ! With this I surrender ! LOL Bet ya never thought someone would answer the ol' bowfin mud fish ! LOL Best of the new year to you all ! Bradlee

I'll bet

This response submitted by cur on 1/1/05 at 7:41 PM. ( ) 4.226.240.121

A couple of you guys will remember this new years....

Here is how it stacks up right now:

1. Answered correctly.....pistons - rear legs Frontlegs - shocks

2. No one has that one, close, but no banana......

3. Wolfie gave that one away...Aphids embryos can breed before birth, and sometimes produce offspring prior to beint born.....what a drag.

4. All correct, but "G"....no one is close

5. Answered correctly - red bat Lasiurus borealis

6. Answered - actually there are three, but left and right eyed was the answer I wanted.

7. Wrong so far: While the answer given is one characteristic, that is also shared by other fishes.

8. Answered correctly

9. Answered correctly, Harpy Fruit Bat

10. Answered correctly, a Tamarind or Marmoset's cuzzin.

11. Yep, the killifish family.....Cyprinodontidae

12. Not even close, neither species mentioned

13. Answered correctly

14. One correct answer - almost, but used the vernacular and not the correct name or told me how the sound was produced.....close, but no banana yet.

15. Answered correctly in several ways....LOL

Good Luck

I tried ! LOL

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/1/05 at 8:47 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I still say the Bowfin or Mud fish ! See new post ( up the pot )for reason ! LOL NAsty things ! Who else could remember those guys ? I say it counts as they are a fish family of their own ! LOL Bradlee

Answer 14

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/1/05 at 8:54 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I have thought and thought about this one . The correct answer has to be, and is, a beer fart ! They have that same sound as we all try to find our way back home ! They decieve our natural scences to distract the fact that we told our spouses we would be home at a certain time ,only to decieve our minds into a dream state that induces constant nagging and divorce . The only remedy for this is to stop drinking. I myself , will never comply ! LOL Tip the bottle to Cur and wow what a challenge ! LOL Bradlee

Well, well

This response submitted by cur on 1/1/05 at 9:03 PM. ( ) 4.226.240.121

Looks like there are some things that are not on the old world wide web yet, or hard to find there........Bill Yox hammered a lot of questions early this AM off the top of his head...er...pate.

I am still waiting....

Wait no more, them eating fish fresh or salt?

This response submitted by EG on 1/1/05 at 10:13 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.118

4g mercury, the sailors friend

75% of the 200 Antarctic fish species come from one genetic order, Nototheniiformes, with big arse teeth and mouth so as to eat each other, not much coloration, and spawn in the winter.

14 . Caprimulgidae, mightjar, bullbat, night hawk, ect....males dive make sound as air passes thru their primaries

Well, EG

This response submitted by cur on 1/1/05 at 10:48 PM. ( ) 4.226.240.121

that settles number 14, finally........but them fishes are escaping your catch and release hook. Hint......they are both salt water species. One world wide and one in the Pacific and Indian Oceans. Both are important food fish.

That'll leave number 2 and 4-G and 7....

Shark fin soup filet of whale shark, they eat sharks!

This response submitted by Gantry again and again and again on 1/1/05 at 10:55 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.118

Swordfish is an enormous mackerel-like fish representing the only member
of the family Xiphidae

family Rhincodontidae The whale shark
family Stegostomatidae leopard shark
family Cetorhinidae basking shark

nope

This response submitted by cur on 1/1/05 at 10:57 PM. ( ) 4.226.240.121

nope you chanost use that one......

I smell a rat

This response submitted by gantry on 1/1/05 at 11:05 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.118

jerboa then

nope

This response submitted by cur on 1/1/05 at 11:08 PM. ( ) 4.226.240.121

no bandana........You are milking this too long.....by now I'll bet your are blue............So Padre Gantry,,,,let's get on with it....LOL....I am makin' a fresh pot of coffee....

one of them fish is

This response submitted by "," on 1/1/05 at 11:11 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.118

Xiphias gladius

Euthanize all of us quick

This response submitted by Gantry on 1/1/05 at 11:14 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.118

the towel has ben tossed

don't tell us yet....

This response submitted by Griz on 1/1/05 at 11:34 PM. ( ) 69.66.87.115

all i gotta do is find #2

OK

This response submitted by cur on 1/1/05 at 11:38 PM. ( ) 4.226.240.121

Have towel, will tell. First of all, I gave you a bunch of hints in the last few posts.......fer instance, I didn't mistype chanost, it was a hint for Chanos chanos, the Milkfish, the only species in the The only Family (Chanidae) and entire order Gonorynchiformes. It is farmed widely and a very important, if not the most important food fish in Asia. I gave you another hint about milkin' the post......Chanos, Milk...Whatta ya want?

The other fish is the Bluefish, Pomatomus saltatrix, the only member of the Pomatomidae Family. It is world wide in distribution in most temperate oceans. While it isn't farmed, it is an important food fish in a number of areas, not to mention being a great sport fish.

The mammal with the fewest vertebrae is the two toed sloth with from 4-5. The manatee and three toed sloth have six. Most mammals have seven cervical vertebrae. In some mammals the cervical vertebrae may be fused, but there are still seven bones represented.

The thing that Darwin left behind was the Chaplain or Padre gave you that clue too. The sloop HMS Beagle was cramped for the journey and to spite tradition, the padre was dumped to make room for gear......so Darwin started out pissin off Creationists, I reckon. Some one said he left children behind, but he was only twenty when he left for that voyage.

Happy now?

I'll bet that this old man won't be asked to do this again....LOL

WRONG!

This response submitted by Glen on 1/1/05 at 11:43 PM. ( ) 70.104.96.167

When ya gonna do another one?

This response submitted by dustin on 1/1/05 at 11:46 PM. ( ronnnancys1@netzero.net ) 64.136.27.228

channel catfish and blue catfish have there own family

ahhhh

This response submitted by Griz on 1/1/05 at 11:56 PM. ( ) 69.66.87.115

i was too late, oh well, i learned alot just trying to find the answers:) i did see in several places that said the two toed sloth had six vertebrae just like the three toed sloth, so that was hard to find, and i was thinking darwin left behind his Bible, but your hint gave that one away once i was thinking on the right lines. I don't know if i would have ever found the milkfish one though. That was throwing me for a loop. Even though i can clearly see your hints now.

Bill you ever tried to eat one of them Chanos chanos things

This response submitted by "." on 1/2/05 at 1:07 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.83

Why son looks like a hickory shad with AIDS, hain't no way that boney looking things edible, only milkie fishie I wants is a Sac-a-lait. You forgot to slap me upside the head with answer #7 dealing with them big toothed/jawed,ice blooded fish from 5000 feet under the southern icecap.

Yep, I have eaten milkfish

This response submitted by cur on 1/2/05 at 4:07 AM. ( ) 4.226.60.28

In a lot of restaurants around the Pacific Rim....not bad. They are harvested when they reach about one pound or so.....when your hungry, it all tastes good.

And, I forgot about the antarctic fishes. True, they do produce glycogens to keep their blood from freezing (They live year round in 28F waters.) but one of the most significant differences among many of the species is that they lack hemoglobin in their blood cells. They do not use iron to transport oxygen as do most fishes. Their blood is clear and their gills white as snow. I have two species in here not to mold for a researcher and they bleed "water".

Pinche

This response submitted by Jack F on 1/2/05 at 9:02 AM. ( ) 24.97.78.149

I was called this once by a guy I arrested. I was told he was calling me a bitch dog? This is to much for my little brain to compute lol.

i suspect he wasn't talking about a tamarin

This response submitted by g on 1/2/05 at 10:00 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.97

Well whatever was said wasn't nice, haha spanish to english version of the female dog is perro de la perra, cao da cadela in portugese.......MEXICO: adj. colloquial - miserable, lousy, the spanish alternative dictionary is

http://www.notam02.no/~hcholm/altlang/ht/Mexican_Spanish.1.html

if you really must know what he called you...your gonna have to remember a few more words BUT its the mexican version of the "universal adjective"

ok thanks

This response submitted by Jack F on 1/2/05 at 11:20 AM. ( ) 24.97.78.149

It was as few years ago now. I dont remember all he said but he was not a happy criminal lol.

Jack F and Griz

This response submitted by cur on 1/2/05 at 1:32 PM. ( ) 4.225.171.100

First of all, I don't know about proper Spanish, but in Mexicanish, "Pinche" is an adverb/adjective for the "F" word.....as in "Pinche retardo" (F'n idiot)....I figure he called you something else following "Pinche". I hear work gang bosses around here yell, "Te vas a pinche borracho!", often. That means, "Quit screwing around!"

Griz.......according to my source reference, counting cervical vertebrae on a two-toed sloth is like counting the pyloric caecae on some fish species - the counts seem to overlap. Toe toed sloths are listed in various reference as having from 4-6 cervical vertebrae, and in others as having 5-6. By existence of the lower number, one assumes that if it exists, then it would, by existence, be lowest.

Some fish species are keyed by pyloric caecae count. (The tubule or feathery growths on intestines of some fish.) The count overlaps many times. Personally, I wonder about the border-line fish often and wonder if the addition of a caecum of two makes much difference.

Same case exists in fin ray counts......one species may be listed as having 15-19 soft dorsal rays, and another species in the same Genus may list with a count of 16-21. A fish possessing 17-19 rays is what? Dunno, unless there are other key points that rule out one or another. Black and White Crappie are an example of that confusion where fin ray counts used alone will not provide an answer.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu