Submitted by JOE on 1/20/05 at 3:30 PM. ( )

I am from Wisconsin and the law says flying squirrels are a protected species and can not be harvested. Does that mean I can or cannot legaly buy one from someone out of state and mount it for myself. Or do I need papers or something to show that it wasnt takin in Wisconsin. Any help would be greatly apprieciated. And if it is legal for me to do then I will be interested in buying a northern flying squirrel. thanks for your time.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

You are asking the wrong folks

This response submitted by cur on 1/20/05 at 3:46 PM. ( )

Unless someone on the forum knows the ropes, you would be better off checking with your local enforcement officer and have him chase down the regulations or statutes governing the action. You need an interpretation or guideline from your state regarding that action. I can tell you what to do in Texas, but that ain't Wisconsin.


This response submitted by JOE on 1/20/05 at 3:50 PM. ( )

Ya I was just hopeing someone on here would be from Wisconsin and would know the ropes so that I wouldnt have to do the roundabout that our Dnr ushally does with questions of that nature. I will have to talk to the Dnr and see if they even know thanks for your time though.

Flying Rats

This response submitted by Linda C. on 1/20/05 at 5:31 PM. ( )

Hi Joe,
As long as you have paperwork proving that it was legally obtained from a state where they are not protected you can do them,that or trap the furry little rats in your garage or house and obtain a siezure tag from the DNR for it.Still trying to figure out why these pests are protected.Sure no shortage of them.

Linda is correct

This response submitted by Len on 1/20/05 at 11:43 PM. ( )

Hi Joe, Linda is correct. Make sure you know the laws of the other state to be make sure that it is legal for them to sell it to you. If they don't need any special tags, make sure you get a receit from the seller proving that it was obtained legally. If you already have a taxidermy permit, included is a Class A fur-buying permit. I don't believe that would be needed to buy the squirrel. I would also suggest contacting your local warden to let him know. If you have any problems, feel free to e-mail me and I can get more info for you. Good luck.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu