Getting OLD!

Submitted by Jeff F. on 1/21/05 at 12:07 AM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 205.188.116.202

I've been watching this e-bay bashing going on quite a bit lately. It would seem that the forum is full of artists who do everything perfect and have become self appointed judges of everyone who doesn't meet thier standards. There are times when the taxidermy industry,as a whole,may be mis-represented BUT there are buyers who don't know any better and may take great pleasure in an artist work. Ignorance is bliss! By the same token, It may be a "newbie" trying to sell stuff to get proper materials or an established artist cleaning the skeletons out of the closet. It's like trash talking the hack down the road instead of showing what YOU can do different. Either way, IT ISN'T RIGHT! Lighten up! My .02. Peace- Jeff F.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Amen, Jeff

This response submitted by cur on 1/21/05 at 12:28 AM. ( ) 4.252.247.44

It has been said that he who is without sin may cast the first stone. I would like to review some of the basher's works and rip them a bit so they could see how that might feel. It is not fair to make fun of a work without knowing the circumstances. To belittle others is to belittle self.

Real OLD!

This response submitted by Kiwi on 1/21/05 at 3:57 AM. ( ) 210.54.96.249

agree with you Jeff & Cur....

Take away the Taxidermy suppliers of the basher's and then see how many of these basher's can call them selves a real Taxidermist........

agreed

This response submitted by jon on 1/21/05 at 9:32 AM. ( jonathan@harlequintaxidermy ) 68.184.178.161

I normally try and stay away from those posts, but I usually do go take a peek at the work.

I admit, I've sold some pretty raunchy things on eBay before. But I see no reason to trash a mount just because it isn't up to my standards when SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE will probalby find a use for it.

we all start somewhere...

j

I've got some old stuff

This response submitted by Evelyn on 1/21/05 at 9:55 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

that I am planning to sell on ebay to get it out of the shop and some money coming in. Absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as both parties (buyer and seller) are happy. What others think about it is of no concern. I don't know anyone who started out doing blue ribbon work.

Valid Points...........

This response submitted by Old Fart on 1/21/05 at 10:17 AM. ( ) 66.119.33.156

.......But let me play Devil's Advocate for a moment. Some of the "mounts" are obviously very OLD and have been around the block a few times.....Their sellers often portray them as "in great shape", "very lifelike" and "beautiful". This EMELLISHMENT of the "mount" by the seller is what gets me. But then the buyers are free to choose, it is afterall, an auction!

My problem comes with the mounts that, lets call them "substandard", that are "newly mounted by a PROFESSIONAL taxidermist". This can reflect very poorly on the industry as a whole, although the buyers usually are not taken on these "gems of the taxidermy art". Only the really good mounts attract the money they should. The junk sells for what junk should, if it sell at all.

As far as "bashing" goes, I am glad that the people here CAN see the "diference" between the good and bad ones. What if they couldn't? And it is being discussed HERE, not on Ebay. This being a Forum for discussion! Ebay sellers are are anonamous to this site, unless they announce themselves here, and some do. I really doubt that many of the sellers that we are talking about even know of this site. "In House" discussion of standards and quality is a legitimate topic for us to discuss and debate here.

is this from a old post

This response submitted by wildlife-artist on 1/21/05 at 10:29 AM. ( ) 69.244.151.177

where?

I agree with O.F.

This response submitted by Junipera on 1/21/05 at 10:29 AM. ( ) 66.66.1.216

auctions being promoted as "diamonds" when they are really quartz deserve some critisism.

Well that too

This response submitted by cur on 1/21/05 at 11:37 AM. ( ) 4.226.240.24

But personally, I never browse Ebay for any reason. I just think I hear the, "fatty fatty two by four" ringing in the remarks, and don't think that is well founded. Sure you can call $$IT Shinola, and some will believe it, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just figure that you never throw a skunk at someone. You might just miss, and the smell stays on you.

A lot of what is claimed or said by any seller over rates most objects - taxidermy or otherwise. A wise man sees through the BS, and those who don't, well shame on them.

you know what I wonder?

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/21/05 at 3:08 PM. ( ) 67.138.8.13

When you see some silly statue or trinket, a knick knack, on ebay with the description of how "collectable" or one of a kind it is...do knick knack people get offended and argue about how bad it is? Hahaha, we take this stuff way too seriously sometimes...

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu