Wildlife laws need to change

Submitted by Mike on 1/21/05 at 2:22 AM. ( ) 198.81.26.77

A madison Nebraska man was fined last week 2000.00 for shooting a Bald eagle and must give up the shot gun he used. Who in there right mind shots one of those.

A thurman Iowa man the fined 4000.00 damages and 145.00 fine to the county and lost of hunting rights for 5 years for shooting a deer legally and lost it. He found the deer in the spring and was showing it off in town and was turned into the DNR. When he lost the deer, one week later he shot another buck and tagged it. Everything cool right? Wrong, see in Iowa you can not pick up skulls in the woods, sheds yes, antlers on the skull no. They tried to get him for shooting and not tagging, but they got him in the end for illegal possesion. NO TAG

This poor guy in Iowa, thinking he was ok and was doing nothing wrong gets his ass handed to him by the state. His guy in Nebraska knows you can't shoot bald eagles and in my book gets away with it.

Deer are inportant so don't get me wrong and I know it is two different states, but we are talking an American Bald Eagle being valved less on a federal level and a deer on the state level.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Ohhh, it gets better than that.

This response submitted by Hogger on 1/21/05 at 3:17 AM. ( ) 4.7.212.134

See, what you are talking about is laws from two different states. That's apples and oranges. In fact I would guess the bald eagle thing is a Feds case. What's good in one state is not in an other. For instance. I live in Hawaii. Here you get caught with a rifle in your vehicle in an inclosed case (as the law requires when travelling in a vehicle)you had better be going from your home to a hunting area, gunsmith or shooting range. If you can't show that that is infact what you were doing, you are nailed with a class C felony (up to 5 years jail). I go to Idaho and I'm with a friend riding around with guns not in the case (pistols and all) and with no "good" reason for having the guns in the vehicle and it's not even a violation.(I like Idaho). Oh, you'll like this one... in Hawaii it is a FELONY to threaten a police officer (with just your mouth- no weapons). BUT it's a misdemeanor to assault a police officer! So if you feel like popping a cop in the mouth, don't tell him, just do it and you'll get off easier. IT'S INSANE! These laws were passed by the same legislature that some members proposed making shooting a house cat with a pellet gun a felony. Fortunately that didn't pass. Punch a cop- misdemeanor. Pellet gun a cat- felony? Go figure!

Just read this one in our local paper

This response submitted by Lady Whitetail on 1/21/05 at 6:35 AM. ( ) 216.46.211.123

Little back ground information first - Here in Michigan you have to wear orange during firearm season (only required minimum orange however - just a hat will legally do).

So I am reading the recent court findings and this is what the great judges in our county came up with for punishments for the following violations.

1st Hunter: Failure to tag a deer - $35.00 fine.

2nd Hunter: Hunting without orange - $50.00 fine.

You can shoot deer illegally and get a $35.00 fine - (with that fine it isn't a wonder that people still continue to poach - what a system.)

But the real criminal is the guy who doesn't wear his orange cap.....(gimmie a break)

All states are different

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/21/05 at 11:50 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.244

I sure wish they would get together for some consistency but due to politics that's a hard thing to do.

In Montana..

This response submitted by Jim B on 1/21/05 at 12:04 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

If you are caught with an illegal muskrat(they are worth $1.50 to $2.00),it is a mandatory 2 years loss of all hunting,fishing and trapping priviliges and 7 years loss of the right to apply for any special licenses like sheep,goat, moose,antelope etc..I believe the fine is either $1000.00 or $2000.00 max.Child molesters and drug dealers get treated better.Oh yeah-it's legal to have an open container of alcohol while driving(just don't try to run over a muskrat while doing so).

How about this

This response submitted by Brian on 1/21/05 at 12:29 PM. ( ) 207.177.71.171

I see this in the local papers all the time. I live in Iowa, meth headquarters USA, and it is not uncommon to see in the court news where getting caught without a life jacket will get you about $75 worth of fines and court costs, and right next to it you will see a guy arrested for third offense meth possession and get a suspended sentence and suspended fine. He doesn't have to pay the fines for his first two suspended sentences either, so just what the heck "suspended" even means I don't know, as one can continue to get caught without ever paying the previously suspended fine.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu