Wolves are bad in the UP

Submitted by Randy D. on 1/21/05 at 7:44 AM. ( ) 12.163.67.164

I dont know what is going on with the DNR and the US fish and wildlife service. Seen a wolf a few weeks ago. Walked up on him feeding on a deer. Got within 30 yards. I heard some ravens working bekind my house. So I thought I would investagte. No gun with me. When I seen him he looked right at me and keeped feeding on his kill. I looked for a club. Broke a hard stick hit it against a tree a few times to make sure it would not brake. When I looked back towards him I could not see him no more. So I slowely headed back to my house. The wolves around here are getting moe commond this year lots of sightings and more and more problems with them. For instance a wolf went right into a yard and killed a dog a family pet and drug it off. I could go on and on. Soon someone or their kid will incounter a wolf and might be killed it is nuts in this day and age to have wolves in a area that people live. But If you shoot one you would face fed and state charges and could go to jail. There are hardly any deer left around here any more no fish no birds rabbits ect. for the sportsmen. All the preditors are protected wolves owls hawks ect. But it is their right just like the indian rights. What about my and your rights as sportsmen and business people. My business consist of out of the area work. If you think I am wrong abount the wolves go on the web to. google.com and type in wolf attacks No balance any more on conservation. I always believed we were suspose to be the stwerts of everything. No deer no fish no birds what will we do? Play golf get drunk? But I dont get drunk any more. Randy D.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Randy, are you a masochist?

This response submitted by George on 1/21/05 at 8:19 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.135

I've never heard anyone so depressingly vocal about where they live as you. One of two things is certain: (1) you need to move OR (2)you need to see a doctor and get some medications for your despair.

Georgey

This response submitted by Jay on 1/21/05 at 8:41 AM. ( goblue@mtc.net ) 216.105.216.210

He is not kidding or going over board on this. My family lives up there, and the wolves are bad! They where re-located in the up so that means they had to be brought in from somewhere. The DNR had the wolves in pens for a year in quaranteen before they let them lose,that made the wolves not so wild and kind of dependant on people for food. I don't mean eating people, but they are very bold. My Brother is a logger and he had a pack of seven within 20 yards of him growling and snarling, he had to run for the truck. Just what I know about it. But again you peoople jump on the guy for just telling what he knows.

George

This response submitted by Randy D. on 1/21/05 at 9:20 AM. ( ) 12.163.67.61

George
I hate to have a negative additued to you ant others but if you would have lived here as I have all your life and seen a outdoor paridise go to hell you too would speak out. Yes I have picked up some work this past week. I went to a sport show and showed my work it speaks for itself. But I had to go to the people near Detroit 6hrs south of me. I will hit other shows in the future maybe near you? I realise now people will send me work even if I am a long ways away. It is just that I was use to getting all the work I needed from here. My work will stand up against any ones. I can paint like no other it is my gift. Show me a picture of a fish and I will do it. I dont need paint charts infact I make them for other taxidermist. I have taking some advice on realocation. Randy D.

wolves

This response submitted by lee on 1/21/05 at 9:37 AM. ( ) 66.119.34.59

BAD IDEA the wolves are getting so bad in idaho its hard to run hounds anymore. seems like five or six dogs are getting killed every month. not to mention what it is doing to the deer and elk herds. i wish we could shoot em and let em rot!
lee

S>S>S

This response submitted by Jay on 1/21/05 at 10:19 AM. ( goblue@mtc.net ) 216.105.216.210

I hear a lot of places are practicing the 3 S's. Thats not for me , but thats what I heard. SHOOT SHOVEL & SHUTUP.

Yeah those damn wolves are killing all our deer!

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/21/05 at 10:54 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.244

Never mind we as hunters and automobile drivers kill more deer than a wolve could ever kill! And last I heard wolves don't destroy wildlife habitat by developing it. LMAO

Now Randy going after a wolf with a club while he is is dining is not a smart thing to do. I wouldn't even recommend pissing off my dog that is the size of a wolf when she is eating somthing good. But then again maybe we wouldn't have to listen to your whining anymore. Seems to me the wolf was doing us a service by eating a carcass that probably died of natural causes or wounded by some idiot that couldn't hit the side of barn.

Let's see first it was the DNR, then it was poachers, and now it's the wolves. And you live in a bigger town then I do and you can't get enough business? Maybe your cutomers are tired of hearing you whine.

Oh I forgot the Indians are at fault too

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/21/05 at 10:55 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.244

What next?

whoa is me

This response submitted by justin on 1/21/05 at 11:38 AM. ( justpohl@aol.com ) 64.12.116.135

I have a lot of friends in the chippewa county area of the upper and have met randy on several occasions. Every time a beagle doesn't come back it is a wolf, everytime a snowshoe is killed it is a wolf, every time the toilet backs up it is a wolf, if the sun doesn't shine it is a wolf. This is getting really old. Let the wolfs be and when they are removed from the endangered species list in michigan we will have another source of license revenue and another resource for the sportsmen and taxidermists. I recently read that it was either wisconsin or minnesota that has one of the highest populations of wolves and that state also submits more record book whitetail than Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio combined. They are obviously an integral part of the ecology. Read up on evolution. The strong and only the strong survive. Leaving the weak without proper traits to die and not pass on their genetics. Only beneficial traits are passed on, or should be. The wolves are a much better judge as to which deer or any other animal is sick or weak than a man could ever be. Furthermore, the day you walk in the woods and see an area populated by wolves that have started nailing deer racks to the trees then we'll have an issue. Bears, tigers and wolves OH MY!

by the way

This response submitted by justin on 1/21/05 at 11:42 AM. ( justpohl@aol.com ) 64.12.116.135

Randy, I used to work for steve. Your fish are awesome and you truly do have a gift. I know that for sure! Take care

hey

This response submitted by lee on 1/21/05 at 11:55 AM. ( ) 68.238.138.190

that response id fully expect from cecil, but anybody else in their right mind! jay has it right, cecil will never get it and justin, well i understand that coming from you if you belive in evolution.
lee

Well, here's a little info.

This response submitted by Mike Dunbar on 1/21/05 at 12:01 PM. ( ) 209.206.208.197

Wolf packs generally occupy and hunt a 10 square mile area. An adult wolf needs about 35 deer per year. In a pack of 5, that adds up to about 175 deer yearly in the 10 square miles. If that area is where I live and the population is about 15-20 deer/square mile, then using 20 deer/sq. mile on the high end, there would be about 200 deer in this area. Natural selection would create over time a very wired and keen survival machine indeed if only 12.5% of the population lived to see the next year.

I realize that wolves are nomadic and will follow the food, so over time, dispersal would lessen the impact in any one area. If an established pack is using your hunting area, they will have an impact on the size of the deer herd. Our deer sightings have declined drastically over the past 3 years as our wolf sightings have increased. Whether that's good or bad is opinion, but the fact is we have fewer deer, and I believe wolves are contributing to this.

Another Example

This response submitted by Jay on 1/21/05 at 12:46 PM. ( goblue@mtc.net ) 216.105.216.210

Isle Royale has Moose out on it. I was working for the DNR about 10 years ago. The Moose population got way to high, so the DNR in all their wisdom had two choices 1 lets have a limited hunt on the island and generate abot $500,000 in income or 2 lets let another pack of wolves go to cut the Moose numbers down. Of course they took the 2nd. That year one of the worst winters in years. Lost over half the moose on the Island, many died trying to brows over steep cliffs and fell to their death. Now guess what to many woves on the Island, and not enough Moose. About the hunting thing Cecil we as hunters do complain, but the DNR bring it on themselves when they come out publicly and say another banner year of hunting and drive prices up for nothing and draw in out of state rev. I gor pulled over in the U.P last year, I was my brother in-law his 5 yearold my 6 year old and myself. The first thing the warden did was start questioning the kids. All we did was take them for a ride in the woods so they could say they went hunting with their dad. The topper was when the warden asked the two boys " SO YOU BOYS OUT HELPING DAD SHOOT BAMBY" thats bull.

Justin

This response submitted by Jay on 1/21/05 at 1:00 PM. ( goblue@mtc.net ) 216.105.216.210

Your way off buddy! There are a lot of wolves in Wisconsin but most are in the far North of the state. Most and I mean about 85% of the record deer are in the Southern part of the state. I n the U.P the deer are stressed enough from snow hunting but they let up. Wolves are there 24-7-365 days a year.

Wisconsin wolves

This response submitted by T perkins on 1/21/05 at 1:51 PM. ( perkstaxi@hotmail.com ) 207.230.218.141

The wolf population in wisconsin is growing rapidly,where I live in Chippewa county which is'nt that far north wolf sightings are quite common.A trapper friend of mine caught three this year while trapping coyotes.
There has been a wolf running in my neigherhood all winter,my UPS driver seen him last week standing on the creek about 150 feet from my house.I worry a little about my bird dogs they are in the house and when I let them out I always think about the wolf,I know if he was in the yard the dogs would run toward him and it would'nt surprise me if the wolf turned on them.
In Ladysmith about 30 miles north of me there is a pack that killed I believe it was 9 bear hounds last year and yes these were comformed by the DNR,maybe Mike Dunbar can help me out here thats close to his area.

DNR. Ultimate goal.

This response submitted by duckfeathers on 1/21/05 at 2:17 PM. ( ) 68.236.38.8

It the same all over. The DNRs are putting the rescource, ectoscism, habitat, organic, natural existance or anti everythings, before people. If going back to a VIRGIN world like before man(adam/eve) is what there ultimate goal is, then virgin is the key practice. If they outlaw human coupling, then their goal will be accomplished as there won't but a few people left in 100 years.

its all in how you look at it

This response submitted by Lyle(LCS MOUNTING) on 1/21/05 at 3:21 PM. ( lkcomp2000@yahoo.com ) 66.153.8.197

wolves may be protected but in the end so is man, everyone no matter where they live is afforded their own protection. if you believe a lone wolf or a pack is going to harm you and your property than you have the right as an american to destroy it wether its a protected species or not. If wolves are as bad in your area as you say why would you even attempt a walk into the woods without a firearm. also if George W. Bush can launch a pre-emtive strike why cant you!

Jay

This response submitted by cur on 1/21/05 at 3:42 PM. ( ) 4.227.113.63

Nice tale, but wolves were released on Isle Royale in 1952, not ten years ago. At first, four pups from the Detroit Zoo were released. Surveys showed the pack had grown to 14 animals by 1965.

Wolves were reported on Isle Royal prior to those dates during the 1920's by several observers. There were no moose on Isle prior to the great freeze during the winter of 1912-1913. It is surmised that the first moose traveled to the islands across the ice that connected the Island to the Canadian shore. Moose populations reached a peak there around 1930 and have had several natural kill offs by cold and fire.

Wolves have been Island residents in current dynamics since 1956 and certainly by 1960. There was some phenomena observed about the impact of wolves on the moose herds, and in fact it is one of the most intensely studied predator/prey relationships during the past five decades. So, Jaybird, you must have eaten a Mexican dinner before you dreamed about releasing the wolves on Isle Royal just ten years ago.

Opps

This response submitted by cur on 1/21/05 at 3:56 PM. ( ) 4.227.113.63

Make that, "had grown to 14 animals by 1956, not 1965......'cuse me.

Dogs

This response submitted by Mike Dunbar on 1/21/05 at 3:56 PM. ( ) 207.230.218.176

I can't help you on the bear hounds Tim, but it has become so common in my area that it doesn't get that much notice. The bear hunters are always taking a chance now when they run their dogs, which by the way is restricted to areas that are primarily public ground.

Hey you guys

This response submitted by Randy D. on 1/21/05 at 4:29 PM. ( ) 12.163.64.154

Did you read on google.com and put in wolf attacks. Why introduce something like the wolves again in the UP of michigan? we have enough problems here now. But protect the wolves cororments hawks owls ect. and let a handful of certain people take most of the fish. Yes they are almost all gone the big fish and now the cormorants are eating the small ones. By the time the us fish and wildlife and the DNR get done with their studies it will all be devistated here. I feel it all ready is compared to 20 years ago. Where do people go to hunt or fish not in the city or a rulel area but farther away from population. They come here and say wow I got a small buck or I caught a fish today. I live in what use to be a paradise to hunt and fish but it is slowly being gone. Randy D.

Cur

This response submitted by Jay on 1/21/05 at 5:01 PM. ( goblue@mtc.net ) 216.105.216.210

I never said that was the first time. Also the island is the only place they can study them because they hav never been hunted there

Cur

This response submitted by Jay on 1/21/05 at 5:03 PM. ( goblue@mtc.net ) 216.105.216.210

So curly turd before you get all puffed up on yourself read before to puke

oooops

This response submitted by Jay on 1/21/05 at 5:19 PM. ( goblue@mtc.net ) 216.105.216.210

you puke soory. Boy that sucks when you think you can be a smart arse and screw up

SSS

This response submitted by Jeff on 1/21/05 at 6:30 PM. ( ) 24.180.208.30

Like Randy said just do the search on google under wolf attacks, read the articles that come up. If you think wolf relocating will help the eco-system you are sadly mistaken. Another thing I hate to be lied to. I watched "Ask the DNR" on public broadcasting out of Marquette, MI just after the rifle season and one viewer asked the biologist if wolves were planted in MI. He lied through his teeth and said they migrated from Minn. Well Dr. Mech, a biologist with the US Fish & Wildlife Dept. was quoted in a recent news article as saying he himself relocated 120 wolves from Minn. to Mich back in 1974. And with ongoing public opposition it was then carried on hush, hush. I just read a recent article from a Canadian newspaper dated 1/5/05 were a man was jogging home from work and was attacked by a wolf. He fought the wolf and got it in a head lock and didn't let go. Luckily a shuttle bus was coming down the road and the passangers seen the stuggle got out and the wolf ran off. Now according to DNR criteria on wolf attacks that doesn't constitute an attack because the wolf has to be caught and examined and found to be healthy. Read some of those articles in google search. READING IS FUNDAMENTAL!

Leave the poor wolves alone!

This response submitted by Pete on 1/21/05 at 8:16 PM. ( ) 12.163.64.173

I don't understand why you people are so mad at the poor wolves. I think they are buitiful and would make great pets. Randy, maybe you should just quit hunting and fishing and go on a cruise in the Caribean. Or maybe you should team up with Ted Nugent and go to Africa and murder some Impala's or Kudu. And Jeff, What are ya, NUTS?

ALL wolves should Die!

This response submitted by b bishop/ Republican on 1/22/05 at 11:42 AM. ( ) 65.73.67.127

in the name of Cecil Baird

All Wolves are Bad!

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/22/05 at 6:53 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.200

Ba ba ba bad to the bone!

Hey Brad, Bush is a wolf in sheeps clothing! How's that? LMAO

you guys are crazy!

This response submitted by Drew on 1/26/05 at 1:53 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.135

I cannot believe you guys are defending wolves. They are the greatest tool ever used by the antihunters! Thanks to the wolves, they are closing the late season elk hunt near Gardiner Montana after the 2006 season. They already cut the tags from 1200 to 140. The Montana DNR website even comments that the wolves have really hurt the herd numbers. When it comes down to it, who gets to eat first, the wolf or the hunter? Obviously tags are going to get less and less and eventually total draw. We had a wolf from WY show up in central Colorado and get hit by a car. That is all the mulie herd needs is wolfs + coyotes. The antis already upped the yote numbers thanks to banning trapping here in 1996.

AND RANDY...I hunted the UP for deer the last 3 years and it sucked! All i saw were coyote and wolf tracks, no deer. I did not even go this last fall because it was a waste of time and money. And the MI DNR lies and tells the world how great the hunting is so everyone spends money on tags. RIPOFF.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu