why are people such cheap asses

Submitted by paul on 1/2/05 at 4:16 PM. ( ) 216.145.235.19

when it comes to taxidermy? im getting tired of people bitching about prices and mine are more than reasonable, more so i wouldnt tell them on here cause i would get slammed.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Don't need to spill alot of ink on this one Paul

This response submitted by E.G. on 1/2/05 at 4:44 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.98

it's a human trait, people will drive across busy traffic to go to the gas station thats 1 cent cheaper on the gallon, not figuring that their tank is 20 gallons and the most that they are "saving" can be 20 cents.
Let em beech, they would if you were 50 bucks cheaper, it's part of paying your dues dealing with the public, nothing more nothing less,
makes life interesting! Hey thats why they make Rolaids

It is the same in everything.

This response submitted by Todd B on 1/2/05 at 5:34 PM. ( ) 4.224.93.160

They price shop for everything. Look how many new taxidermists show up saying they were tired of paying money for there mounts. So they decided to learn taxidermy so they can save a buck. And then they want to learn it for free ,no books no videos just someone to tell them how to do it all. then they come on this site looking for specimens. And they always say I am looking for _______ cheap. It is not just taxidermy it is everything.

Todd B

Its easy to fix

This response submitted by John C on 1/2/05 at 6:00 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Tell them you heard the cheap guy would dicker evenlower on price.

Think about this for a minute.......

This response submitted by Mac on 1/2/05 at 6:11 PM. ( vabowhunter@worldnet.att.net ) 209.247.222.83

Paul, E.G and Todd definately have their points, but look at things in perspective. We(the basic american for the most part) are taught to bargain hunt everything we shop for. This mainly points to items that are for our convienience and normal everyday use. We want things that are durable, long lasting and can be used over and over again without damage and for only a dollar (generally speaking). Now, when it come to items which require subjectivity, where the customer really does not understand what is involved with the product, your problem arises. Your (for lack or better terminology and general assumption)uneducated customer desires a GREAT product at a MINIMAL price because they are taught to do so. They have no concept of the effort you have to put forth to make that product and many do not care. You have to set your own standards and live by them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and unfortunately, as I see it, it is what governs any of the arts industry, taxidermy included. The customer pays for your artistic rendition of their prize. The more realistic and alive your mount looks, well, it speaks for itself. Don't let it get you down. As the others have stated, it applies to everything, not just taxidermy. Just another perspective.
Mac

Listen to tis one

This response submitted by mjvaden on 1/2/05 at 7:11 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

I had a guy call friday. He was braging about spending $9500. on a 170 class White Tail from a friend of mines High Fence ranch. When I told Him My price of $450. he about choked and said he can get it done for $185. and asked if I would match the price. I told him no and he said "Then he would be forced to bring it to the $185 taxidermist." Who Does the worst taxidermy work I have ever seen. If you can even call it taidermy.

I laughed My ass off!

Maybe your prices aren't high enough

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/2/05 at 7:52 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.247

Back when I was just starting out and wasn't charging top dollar I had slews of bargain hunters and let's make deal folks. Now that that I'm higher than the average cheapskate wants to pay, I don't even get calls from them. Just a thought.

I do get some folks that ask what I charge, but either they show up or they don't. No one ever complains about the price.

Had a gifted salesman once tell me if you don't get at least one person complaining the price is too high you're probably not high enough. Guess I need to raise prices again. LOL

I agree

This response submitted by Jack F on 1/2/05 at 8:13 PM. ( ) 12.152.154.73

I agree totaly with Cecil. When I started out I called around to the other taxidermy shops in my area for there price lists. Once I had there price lists I made mine. I raised my prices way above theirs. I think I only had about two calls asking for price. The customers that I get are the ones that don't care how much I charge they just want quality work. Higher prices higher quality and you will get better customers that will pay you when the job is done. Jack F

How about this...

This response submitted by Jim Kimball on 1/2/05 at 9:00 PM. ( ) 66.191.93.186

Taxidermy is a LUXURY item !

Not everyone should be able to AFFORD it !

Vacuum pyramid

This response submitted by cur on 1/3/05 at 12:42 AM. ( ) 4.227.96.52

All markets and all goods have a base as well as a premium price. There are many more goods and options are the base of most markets that at the top. The nearer one gets to the top, the smaller the selection and the fewer locations that offer the product. High priced goods "suck" up the value of goods beneath because human nature is to own the very best you can affort, regardless of it's market tier. Except for extremely rare and high priced goods, most things in a marketing pyramid rise in level and esteem as discerning buyers increase demand for limited goods.

Everyone shops price and everyone has a comfort level or a value desired level for whatever is purchased. General Motors got by on that program for years. They built a high end auto in the Caddy, but they also built cheap Chevies. They tied the line together with the "Body by Fisher" tag so that folks who couldn't afford caddies were comfortable to be able to associate their cheaper product with the Caddies class because both autos were of GM origin and had Bodies by Fisher. Folks who bought Chevies were on the bottom and folks who bought caddies were on top, and those in the middle bought, Olds, Buicks or Pontiacs. Below Chevies were even cheaper autos and above Caddies were more expensive ones. At each level of that market pyramid was a product that was matched to a buyers pride and pocket.

Most sold goods and services are not much different when modeled along the pyramid concept. Bargaining, the dearth of craftsmen, is not the norm in fixed markets with fixed price goods. Most folks feel, though, that they can barter with artists and craftsmen, because they know of the competition between makers and feel that handcrafted goods are somehow open to price negotiation.

Here I have one price, and no other price. Prince and pauper alike pay the same dues for the same services. I charge outlandish prices. Time in grade and quality and consistancy of product allow me that whim. If others are willing to do the same work for less, they may with my blessing, but my price stays the same, regardless. I figure there is just one of me, and what I can produce is limited to time and effort. I work hard to produce a product that folks will want, regardless of my price point.

I don't bother to point out the good points or the bad points of my product, or compare it to the work of others, no matter how poor the other quality. That is, I feel, demeaning to both myself and my work. If I am good enough to demand my price, the product's perceived quality should be evident to others. I don't feel a need to compete with anyone, because there is personal belief in my quality and confidence in my efforts that transcends fear of competition - especially from the cost cutters.

I suppose my point is that cream always rises to the top. And the bottom is always filled with sludge of one form or another, and no matter how much cream escapes the sludge pit, more will ooze in from outside sources and keep the bottom of that pyramid full.

The public demands high quality as well as fair pricing, that is for certain, but when the quality received is preceived to be fair, no matter the price, both producer and buyer are satisfied. I would rather be known as an arrogant, high priced sob, than a man whose price was negotiable.

There is only one downside to that philosophy, and that is you have to produce a product that meets the buyers concept of quality at the higher price. The difference should be readily evident. We all shop, and no one should be demeaned for doing so. That is a buyer's privilege in a free-market society. As sellers, however, we do not have to bargain. No undercutting bastard ever "took" work away from me. Once I refuse a price offer, the potential client is no longer my customer. The basement producer is wellcome to the job with my blessing. You see, I figure that he or she just did something for nothing, and nobody stays in business by doing that.

Awareness of quality level and reputation usually preceed the craftsman or artist. Chances are the customer arrives knowing well your potential, and nothing says you mean business more than a firm and fair price for your goods. They may not buy from you, but they will respect you for standing your ground.

Remember, a lost customer is not one you drove away. Nor were they lured away by others. A person who desires your work but can't afford your price either has other, higher priorities, or will be back when he or she has the dough to meet your demand. I know that pride don't buy peanuts, but then again, you can't survive by eating the hulls alone.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu