To our Brothers&Sisters up North-A Culinary question

Submitted by oldshaver on 1/2/05 at 6:16 PM. ( oldshaver@yahoo.com ) 207.69.4.141

Do yall have the tradition of eating black eye peas, and cabbage,collards, or some other green, on New Years Day? Peas representing good luck for the year, and the green representing a prosperous new year. Silly question, but I would like to know. This question coming from a man that is NEVER tardy for the supper table.LOL

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Oldshaver

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 1/2/05 at 6:36 PM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 64.12.116.135

Yer makin me hungry! I'm stuck here in Indiana now thinkin about the AWESOME soul food I use to get in Detroit. Oh well, my grill works good and piece of mind is PRICELESS! Okra was always one of my favorites though. Peace- Jeff F.

Sauerkraut & pork

This response submitted by Doug on 1/2/05 at 7:14 PM. ( ) 64.18.236.159

Ed spels it sowerkrouwt butt itz the same stuff(cabbage). It's supposed to bring good luck too, but my wedding anniversary is on New Year's Day. I tip a few on New Year's eve and the next morning... she's still here.
36-23-36, and that's just her head-neck-shoulders...eh?!

I guess we all get Soul Food in one form or another

This response submitted by oldshaver on 1/2/05 at 7:26 PM. ( ) 207.69.2.20

I just asked this question because I have noticed a fair ammount of difference in food, from state to state. I know for a fact that Texas BBQ and Carolina BBQ aint nothing alike. I also went to the Pennsylvania Convention last year, and much to my dis-may, I found potatoes in my chicken and dumplings, at a local resturant. Boy was I bummin.

Yep

This response submitted by Doug on 1/2/05 at 8:37 PM. ( ) 64.18.236.76

My chewing gum dropped outta my mouth when I was in the chicken coop and I thought I found it 7 times. Did ya look close at them taters in your C & D oldshaver...eh?

Not one but two!

This response submitted by CapeFear on 1/2/05 at 8:57 PM. ( cftaxidermy.alltel.net ) 67.141.247.247

Here in Carolina we have not one but two different kinds of BBQ, of course there's the Lexington tomato based sweet stuff that everyone around here is so fond of, but I'm partial to Eastern style which is more vinegar based. Maybe that's why I'm so sour! Happy New Year to all! Marc R.

Cape Fear

This response submitted by George on 1/2/05 at 9:25 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.135

The "Lexington base" must be NORTH CAROLINA type. I'm from Lexington, SOUTH Carolina and I know we'd never screw our barbecue up with any damned tomatoes or tomato sauce (What the hell do Texans know about barbecuing anyway. They just have COWS, we barbecue pigs, chickens and goats). Just mustard, butter, brown sugar, and vinegar cooked before basting. And Old Shaver, it's PEAS for PENNIES and COLLARDS for DOLLARS. Are you REALLY from the South?

With the tomato shortage in the Carolinas.

This response submitted by John c on 1/2/05 at 11:06 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

With the number of people in the Carolinas, its understandable ya'll have to use baby shizt for a sauce.

Even down in Memphis, ya'll want coleslaw on your samwich. Coleslaw is a side dish it dont belong on a sandwhich (uhhu)

NOw most of the people up around Kansas Cit know what real BBQ is! Has to have the hickory or oak smoked taste! Great sweet flavored sauces!

None of that B.S. Mustard sauce and beer, get real! the suace must compliment the meat.

Corn beef and cabbage

This response submitted by cur on 1/2/05 at 11:59 PM. ( ) 4.227.96.52

Corn beef and cabbage, pork and cabbage and pork and sauerkraut and pork and black eyed peas are traditional New Years dishes that go back to when there was no North or South. Ain't soul food either, it is European home cookin'. Back when, there was no soul food either, everybody ate the same stuff....white folks just got better cuts of meat, but the beans and the grits and greens were on everyone's plate.

Real BBQ

This response submitted by been around twice & 1/2 on 1/3/05 at 7:54 AM. ( ) 67.140.198.144

A 13 year old black youngun from South Georgia can take a goat and a sack of vidalia onions and put all of you to shame! lol

up north

This response submitted by wetnwild on 1/3/05 at 8:02 AM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Its called Ballpark Franks, mustart relish and some celery salt, cold budweisers(left outside) lol, and some cheetoes for desert!

John, obviously you ain't been to the real SOUTH

This response submitted by George on 1/3/05 at 9:18 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

Coleslaw is for HOTDOGS and a side dish and it AIN'T made with vinegar. Tomato sauce has never been used in real southern barbecue and if you ain't tried the sweet mustard barbecue sauce, you ain't eat right yet. You're one to talk. You probably had a plate of chittlins for lunch. LMAO

Around here....

This response submitted by JL on 1/3/05 at 1:55 PM. ( wmlures@metro2000.net ) 216.177.1.168

.....we just go knocking at the neighbor's door and take whatever they give us.We wish them Happy New Year real quick before they can say "NOT THIS YEAR". And it's always helpful to put the kids in front of us. It makes them think we're letting the kids get first pickings. Next year we're going to Voyers house. He's so rich he has a heated seat on his snowblower to do a forty foot driveway.Maybe he'll give the kids a free ride on it.LOL Remember!A family that begs together, eats together...Good luck JL (Just funnin)

Looks like BBQ Makes a better topic

This response submitted by oldshaver on 1/3/05 at 8:46 PM. ( ) 207.69.0.57

I put molassas in mine , along with a little crushed red pepper, along with VINEGAR, and some other things. George, I was raised almost as far south as you can get. On I10, about halfway wetween Houston and Beaumont. Daddy-Texan, Momma Cajun. You refreshed my memory on the peas and collards though.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu