Wolves in MI

Submitted by Jan Van Hoesen on 1/21/05 at 9:01 PM. ( vanhoese@freeway.net ) 209.247.222.116

With all this talk of wolves, I thought that I would add a bit of news in case you haven't heard. The Michigan DNR has for years denied that wolves were in lower Michigan. Some of our Native American Tribe members have kept track of two packs in lower MI for some years now but the DNR refused their findings. Well a person I know trapped and shot a wolf in my township in Presque Isle County of Michigan in Dec while trapping coyotes. He shot it from a distance so it wouldn't panic and cause a poor kill if he got closer. When he got up to it he found it looked a darn sight larger than most local coyotes and had a radio collar on it. He told the DNR right away and luckily was not prosecuted as after all our DNR have been insisting there were no wolves in lower MI. Actually there were three wolves missing wearing radio collars from the UP and nobody thought to look for them down in the lower penninsula even though there had been an ice bridge connecting the two penninsulas the year before and quite a number of years in fact. So now the DNR are actually admiting there are wolves in lower MI as more have been seen and tracked. In fact a couple of weeks ago Jim and I heard what had to be a wolf howling across the highway from us. No other big dogs are around and I have a pet coyote so I know what they sound like. It's really quite thrilling that the wolves are back in lower MI and people I've talked to think it's neat too.
Incidently, I got to skin out that wolf and should be mounting it as soon as the state decides where it will be going and who will pay for it. It was a 70 pound female.
Jan

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

We've had

This response submitted by John M on 1/21/05 at 11:13 PM. ( ) 66.190.42.199

2 shot in Door Co. WI. this past year by hunters who thought they were coyotes. Until recently our DNR said there were no wolves here. When I went to pick two up from the DNR storage freezer there was definately more than a couple in there. BTW Jan, I met a former high school student of yours that works on the boats now named Cricket he said he used to sell you coyotes.

Jan

This response submitted by Tperkins on 1/22/05 at 8:59 AM. ( perkstaxi@hotmail.com ) 209.206.208.140

We had a similar situation here in Chippewa county Wi. A trapper friend of mine was trapping coyotes using drags as an anchor for his traps,one day he found his trap missing and wolf tracks by his set,he looked and looked but could not find the wolf or his trap.
When he got home he called the DNR and told them what happened, they denied there were any wolves in chippewa county and told him he had just caught a big dog.Now my friend has been trapping for over 50 years and knows the difference between a wolf and a dog track.
The next day the DNR showed up at his house with his trap in hand,When he drilled them how they found it they finally admitted it was a wolf with a tracking collar on it!
If they were monitoring wolves in chippewa county why would they denie that they are here? I just don't understand this.

They don't need ice

This response submitted by mark maier on 1/22/05 at 1:21 PM. ( ) 66.255.208.7

Wolves along the west coast of North America are commonly sighted island hopping as far as 8 miles from the nearest land. The straits are only 5 miles.
FYI

What a Thrill

This response submitted by Jeff on 1/23/05 at 10:01 AM. ( ) 24.180.208.30

Check out this website if you think living with wolves is a thrill. Maybe someday when your out jogging or walking your dog and a pack of wolves skins you alive, I will then ask you how thrilling was it.

http://www.natureswolves.com/index.htm

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu