Stepping over the Line?

Submitted by Alex on 1/21/05 at 10:03 PM. ( advancetaxidermyall@hotmail.com ) 66.32.151.233

Just this past week a Local Miami Taxidermist was visited by the Illinois DNR, two game wardens in full,Illinois uniforms came in, and confiscated a record size WT.deer, the deer supossely was taken legally, but a dispute arose betweeen two hunters, the one that shot it and a Miami resident Bow Hunting. The two hunters went at it,until the POlice was called, then the case was given to the DNR.

Although the Miami Hunter proved his case by comparison of the arrow that killed the monster buck and the fact that the miami Resident owned the land and the other Hunter was trespassing didn't matter to this DNR officers they sided with the Local hunter.

after appearing in court to pay a fine for not tagging the deer, the Miami resident was given the Buck back by the court and the ticket was dismissed since the deer had not being moved from where it dropped dead.

Now the DNR sent to Gestapo cops to confiscate the Deer , the Miami Taxidermist who is new in this business released the buck to them, without a court order and they confiscated the replica and mold of the 200+ BC Buck. and left.
The Local Game and fish was not used or even notified of this action.

Talk about Gestapo tactics and stepping over Jurisdictional line. Geeez.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I've read your story...

This response submitted by marty on 1/21/05 at 11:12 PM. ( ) 24.15.108.38

...three times now and it still doesn't make any sense...

No right to seize mold.

This response submitted by John C on 1/22/05 at 12:30 AM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Without warrent the new taxidermist should not have released the rack and certianly not the mold.

Since its almost impossible to set a replica back in the mold, he should have refused.

Why is it taxidermist knuckle under?

DNR was wrong according to what you have posted.

NO WARRENT NO SEARCH!

Interesting issue!

This response submitted by KIM on 1/22/05 at 2:15 AM. ( ) 69.171.249.149

I hate to say it, BUT, IF you allowed the officers to take the items in question WITHOUT a valid order from the court, you loose. You gave it to them of your own free will. You could get the mold back but how much you willing to spend in time, court, etc?

Interesting situation....is there more to this story than what is posted?

Also, what does it say on the receipt given to you when the officers took the items?

Missing facts?

This response submitted by JD on 1/22/05 at 3:49 AM. ( ) 216.31.73.154

Law Enforcement will not just walk into a shop and confiscate anything. Not unless they wish to test their professional liability insurance. Due process must be followed. There are criminal statutes for willfully violating a persons civil rights and the fourth is probably the biggest. Protect against unlawful search and seizure of our homes and property. If an item is confiscated or seized a summons or receipt must be issued. As for molds and related items a warrant must detail not only the location to be searched but all related items that is to be seized as evidence. Not only that law enforcement needs to explain to a judge how all this will further a criminal case against their principal suspect.
The issue of consent is contested everyday, two guys in full uniform, I'm sure they didn't say "please may we search your business" Uniforms, Badges, Guns?, Two of them and one taxidermist. Regular law abidding citizens are compelled to comply all this without a warrant...spells coersion. I think it doesn't add up, we're not getting the whole story.
I think were missing some key facts in this scenario.

What?!?!

This response submitted by Paul Czarnecki on 1/22/05 at 9:19 AM. ( ) 66.211.211.111

What are Illinois DNR officers doing in Florida? They have absolutely NO jurisdiction outside their state lines. They should have been considered "armed intruders" by the taxidermist and he should have called 911. Turning over his prized antlers was just naive and STUPID!
Something is definitely missing in that story.

Malpractice Insurance for Cop?s JD's World

This response submitted by IndinanaTrapper on 1/22/05 at 11:26 AM. ( ) 63.170.184.201

I doubt seriously if cops are carrying an E&O policy.

" Law Enforcement will not just walk into a shop and confiscate anything."

JD read the Patriot Act, or watch Barney Fife in action.

If you don't have anything to hide then you won't mind having your business searched. Just ask former Attorney General Ashcroft. With all the chemicals we have we could construct quite a bomb. I bet you Cur can make a hell of a bomb, from chemicals under his sink.

The story doesn't make sense anyway. If Miami Hunter didn't move deer from where it was dropped, how did it get to Miami? Beem me to Miami Scotty.

I suspect the uniformed DNR officers were Jim Beam powered.

Indiana Trapper

Trapper

This response submitted by JD on 1/22/05 at 12:10 PM. ( ) 216.31.72.196

Liability insurance, absolutely if your smart. There's no taking back allegations of impropriety once they're made. The courts love, to bag law enforcement officers. They live under a completely different set of rules and expectations.

Patriot act! Trapper please! If you apply the patriot act to this it is as irresponsibe as calling game wardens Gestapo Cops! We live under the rules of law. Compare apples to apples! We all know what the patriot act is for, to interdict "true believers" before they can commit their crimes against humanity. Not popping the garage taxidermist for picking up roadkill. You sound like a closet Democrat or anarchist.

Chemicals...Yeah I have 'em, so what! If the FBI wants to be listening on my phone conversations, they can knock themselves out. To me Ashcroft IS right. I don't have anything to hide, do you? Anything that makes my kids, Family and friends safer works for me.

Remember 9/11, please, complacency is our enemy!

Further explanation

This response submitted by Alex on 1/22/05 at 4:53 PM. ( ) 66.32.151.233

The deer ended up in Miami because the Miami Hunter brought it to the Miami taxidermist who is the hunter's friend.

The Miami Hunter was the one who shot the deer originally, the Illinois Hunter was tresspassing in the Miami Land owner and had found the wounded deer and was in the process of dragging the deer when the Miami Hunter comfronted him, Yet the miami Hunter was ticketed for moving the deer when He didn't, after fist flew around the cops were called who called the DNR, apparently the game wardens knew the local hunter and sided with him, But the court awarded the Miami hunter the deer and he brought back to miami.

after which the local hunter has taken the case to a higher court and the game wardens now say the deer is evidence, listen to this, evidence in a civil case.

Now the beauty of this is they had no Warrant or Jurisdiction in Miami ,neither they went through the local police or Fla Fish and Game.

It seems Miami is open to Other States doing this, Because game Warens from Montana and wyoming have showed in local shops around here to confiscate supposely illegal game and taken even mounts that were not from their state.This I know for a fact.

about 4 years ago I had some from Montana come into my shop demading an Elk some one shot suppossely illegally, after much argument they had to leave my shop and contact the game and fish I contacted the State Law enforcement office and Special Agent showed up ,when the game wardens from montana returned the next day ,The Fla state agent was with me, and he told them to take a hike, the Local game and fish office got involved and they had to wait til I finished the mount and got paid and then they could do whatever with the customer not with me, because According to the my Lawyers I could be liable for releasing work given to me, whether legal or not is not the Taxidermist responsibilty to see that out of state Game is legal or not, another case with another taxidermist had set the precedent in Miami for that dessision.

So now this New taxidermist might be facing a sued from the deer owner ? maybe not as they are friends but this will teach a lesson not to release game so readily to people that have no Jurisdiction in your State.

Try living here

This response submitted by They will come after me on 1/23/05 at 1:48 AM. ( ) 67.50.249.145

This state sucks. I have lived here for 20 years and it keeps getting worse. The only Governors we get are mobsters from Chicago that have their heads up Dailey's @ss. They have a group of Gistapo's called C.A.G.E. They go to the Ill State Police and get lists of people whose FOID (Firearms Owners Id Cards) that have expired in the last few months, and pay them a visit. If you have guns they confiscate them and walk away. If you argue with them in any way, you are arrested and charged with a Felony. Our beloved Gov now (Blagoiovic) is doing his best to take all guns from law biding citizens. Some of the game wardens here are pretty cool, but I have a feeling the two that visited miami are part of the state mob group and are going to get a kick back from the sales. If it has anything to do with hunting or guns including taxidermy the liberal mobster peice of crap governor wants to do away with it. Unfortunately this state is only run by 3 or four counties. And they contain Chicago and East St Louis.....Need I say more.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu