OK, A trivia game we can ALL play

Submitted by George on 1/4/05 at 12:43 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.202

Since Glen has skipped town on us for a couple days and Evelyn has run out of harebrained questions, let's try something NEW today. Let's try one on TAXIDERMY. Everyone can play this one. They're all easy.

Here's the deal. The FIRST EMAIL BY TIME/DATE with ALL the correct answers gets a copy of my book, "Cat-head Biscuits and Squirrel Stew". If no one gets ALL the answers, then the best score wins. Cut off will be at MIDNIGHT, TUESDAY, Jan 4 EDT.

1. Who's considered the "Father of Modern Taxidermy"?

2. What NON-taxidermist deserves the most credit for advancing the taxidermy industry and why?

3. What was arsenic used for?

4. After arsenic was banned, two other chemicals were used until they were similarly banned. Name them.

5. What is the name of the chemical KMN04 and what is it used for?

6. Before RTV and after plaster, what medium was used to make quick molds?

7. Before selling Balmex as an injectable preservative, what was it used for?

8. What person is credited with having marketed the FIRST completely all foam forms? (Use only the initials, please.)

9. What is one of two "proper" names for a whitetail's "tearduct"?

10. What is the best thing to use when texturing the nose on a caribou?

11. How many other members are there in the taxonomic tree of the Pronghorn antelope?

12. If "albinism" is the complete lack of pigmentation, what is the total saturation of pigmenting called?

13. Name the one animal incapable of jumping.

14. What color is a bison's tongue?

15. What is the correct name for a "shellcracker" and where does it get it's name from?

16. A largemouth bass, really isn't either. What is it?

17. What is the largest fish?

18. What is the largest mammal?

19. Only two animals are known to lay eggs and still feed their young on milk. Name them.

20. "Fugu" is considered a delicacy in one country. Name the country, the species it comes from, and why it is of interest.

21. Hantivirus has been linked to a single species of animal. Name that animal.

22. A fish's nervous system can be interrupted by severing what feature along it's body?

23. Aside from talons, what physical feature do raptors have that songbirds don't?

24. If you took Northwestern School of Taxidermy, what would the first lesson have concerned? How was it directly tied to the very last lesson in book eight?

25. Northwestern School of Taxidermy was from what city? What was their name brand for dry preservative?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

some answers

This response submitted by Joe M on 1/4/05 at 1:03 PM. ( ) 24.119.142.29

1.Leon Pray

GEEZ George...

This response submitted by tomdes on 1/4/05 at 1:06 PM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.13

Your's requires WAY too much thinking and research, I'll wait until Glen comes back....

some answers again

This response submitted by JoeM. on 1/4/05 at 1:15 PM. ( ) 24.119.142.29

1. leon pray 2.Ono Van Veen 3.tanning 4.Phenol, formaldahyde 5.-----6.bondo 7.-----8.D.C.9.preorbital gland 10.tooth pick 11.zero12. 13.manatee 14.black 15.Red eared sunfish.eats crustations 16. 17 18 whale. 19.platypus 20 22 23 forward vision 24 pigeon, 25 omaha Ne. clorax. How about those quesses

One more

This response submitted by .. on 1/4/05 at 1:53 PM. ( ) 70.179.146.3

17. Whale Shark

my GUESSES

This response submitted by Griz on 1/4/05 at 2:05 PM. ( ) 69.66.87.109

1. Who's considered the "Father of Modern Taxidermy"? ACKELEY

2. What NON-taxidermist deserves the most credit for advancing the taxidermy industry and why? I DON'T KNOW, I READ THROUGH THE IICON POSTS THIS WEEK BUT NEVER PICKED UP WHO WASN'T A TAXIDERMIST, MAYBE A HABITAT GUY, WEBSTER I THINK SOMEONE SAID, OR SOMEONE WHO PUBLISIZED OUR INDUSTRY

3. What was arsenic used for? PRESERVING

4. After arsenic was banned, two other chemicals were used until they were similarly banned. Name them. FORMALDEHYDE, PHENOL?

5. What is the name of the chemical KMN04 and what is it used for?

6. Before RTV and after plaster, what medium was used to make quick molds? BONDO

7. Before selling Balmex as an injectable preservative, what was it used for?

8. What person is credited with having marketed the FIRST completely all foam forms? (Use only the initials, please.) D.C.

9. What is one of two "proper" names for a whitetail's "tearduct"?
LACRIMAL GLAND

10. What is the best thing to use when texturing the nose on a caribou? DON'T KNOW WHAT ONE LOOKS LIKE

11. How many other members are there in the taxonomic tree of the Pronghorn antelope? NONE

12. If "albinism" is the complete lack of pigmentation, what is the total saturation of pigmenting called? MELANISTIC?

13. Name the one animal incapable of jumping. ELEPHANT

14. What color is a bison's tongue? BLUISH BLACK

15. What is the correct name for a "shellcracker" and where does it get it's name from? REDEAR SUNFISH EATING CRICKETS?

16. A largemouth bass, really isn't either. What is it? BLACK BASS?

17. What is the largest fish? WHALE SHARK?

18. What is the largest mammal? HUMPBACK WHALE OR IS IT THE BLUE WHALE?

19. Only two animals are known to lay eggs and still feed their young on milk. Name them. DUCK BILLED PATYPUS AND SPINY ANTEATER

20. "Fugu" is considered a delicacy in one country. Name the country, the species it comes from, and why it is of interest.JAPAN PUFFERFISH/BLOWFISH IT CAN KILL YOU

21. Hantivirus has been linked to a single species of animal. Name that animal. RODENTS?

22. A fish's nervous system can be interrupted by severing what feature along it's body? LATERAL LINE

23. Aside from talons, what physical feature do raptors have that songbirds don't? CURVED BEAK

24. If you took Northwestern School of Taxidermy, what would the first lesson have concerned? How was it directly tied to the very last lesson in book eight?

25. Northwestern School of Taxidermy was from what city? What was their name brand for dry preservative?

George

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/4/05 at 2:22 PM. ( ) 67.138.10.183

You know Im in there with all but one or two, so Ill step aside on this one. Folks, READ his questions, theres answers already posted that arent following the questions, dont be careless, (but have FUN!). George, mines coming later this week...

Got em George, Here they are......

This response submitted by cur on 1/4/05 at 2:50 PM. ( ) 4.227.11.14

Ha ha ha......Got 'em all, but then us dinosaurs have had to soak up some of the water we've been sitting in for the past zillion years. Like Bill, I recluse myself......Great questions though.

Wasn't it Balmex that breathed life into living bras? Plastic + Balmes = Playtex........LOL

Answers $5.......email me, send money and wait for the answers....See ya

MAN, you guys surprise me.

This response submitted by George on 1/4/05 at 3:22 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

You know all the superfluous BS and now these questions that are integral to your life and livelihood are kicking your BUTTS. Go figure. Currently Bruce Norton has done the best on his email with 17 and TWO HALVES.

I'LL try

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/4/05 at 5:51 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

number 16 . A large mouth bass really isn't either . What is it ? My Guess would be a Cichlid . Did I spell that right ? Bradlee

Actually Bradlee

This response submitted by George on 1/4/05 at 6:03 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

And I'll give you this one: It's a sunfish.

Thanks George

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/4/05 at 6:11 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I can't track down many others but thought I would try the one anyway ! LOL Bradlee

Maybe we

This response submitted by cur on 1/4/05 at 6:29 PM. ( ) 4.227.8.171

We need to add a taxidermy history and basic training course to the stack of reference crap out there.

Question 19 techinal fowl of the worst kind

This response submitted by William Shakeaspear Gantry on 1/4/05 at 9:08 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.142

thou thy has to agree that the Platypus and Echidna are both egg laying Animialia that hatch from eggs and belong to the leche league, but what about the Animialia fowl that belongs to the Columbidae family they hatch from eggs and feed that pigeon "milk" goo.

Masticated bird seed and spit ain't MILK

This response submitted by George on 1/4/05 at 9:30 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

If it ain't from an udder, it's a fake wannabe.

Some udders are,

This response submitted by tcoop on 1/5/05 at 1:43 AM. ( ) 63.146.104.151

Fake wannabes.

Oh, I'm sorry, that's only in humans.

tcoop

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu