A MEMBER?

Submitted by Jeff S. on 1/4/05 at 6:30 PM. ( ) 12.152.253.164

I'm curious about taxidermist who do not belong to there State Taxidermy Association,why,and what would change your mind to get you to join? Thanks for your input!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

What state?

This response submitted by John on 1/4/05 at 6:42 PM. ( ) 24.177.78.254

What state?

Any State,

This response submitted by Jeff S. on 1/4/05 at 6:49 PM. ( ) 12.152.253.164

Just a general Question,I'm In N.Y.,and a member,just curious why some Taxidermist are not members.Time,Money,not informed enough about the Associations and what they have to offer? Thanks

If you are serious about learning taxidermy

This response submitted by Todd B on 1/4/05 at 6:50 PM. ( ) 4.224.195.166

It is silly not to join. for less than a hundred dollars you will get to sit and watch a gamehead seminar,fish seminar,bird seminar and in some case more. we have business seminars once in a while. You can ask the seminar giver questions while you watch. You meet some great taxidermists who do not mind sharing there knowledge as well. I was in a seminar Bill Yox did and he let me do some hands on alteration of a deer form. Also I attend shows because I enjoy going to them. I look forward to going every year to see old friends and learn. Also you can buy supplies at a discount.

Todd B

Well Jeff,

This response submitted by Mr. T on 1/4/05 at 7:10 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.111

I am not a member,,,,yet. As I started out on my own, self-taught, (rocks in my head) felt that my quality was not up to snuff and wouldn't fit in. But now I know where I need to improve, and am willing to join to be able to attend and observe the states competitions this year. Hoping to glean from some brain picking of pro's. I am ready, got to grow!

Interpersonal politics can be a factor

This response submitted by Junipera on 1/4/05 at 7:20 PM. ( ) 66.66.1.216

some people aren't too keen about the leadership; once a year meetings only, with limited seminars; what else is there to offer?

That's a shame Mr. T

This response submitted by George on 1/4/05 at 7:21 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.134

You should have gotten in sooner and the rocks in your head might well have turned into pebbles much quicker As churches are sactuaries for saints, taxidermy organizations aren't the bastions of experienced professionals. You can learn more in one BS Session at an association than you'll ever find in a months worth of work.

Thanks George,

This response submitted by Mr. T on 1/4/05 at 7:39 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.111

Just so you know, I am joining tomorrow, just printed out the app. Going out in the mail tomorrow. Now what?

and

This response submitted by Mr. T on 1/4/05 at 7:44 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.111

I hope they don't require a physical, or a mental test. But if George is a member of some state, ( state of confusion ) and they took him, well I guess they have no standards or requirements to pass a seeing eye test either.

That's what I'm asking for Junipera

This response submitted by Jeff S. on 1/4/05 at 8:03 PM. ( ) 12.152.253.164

What would you like to see change and offered,and would you be willing to be on your associations board of directors to try and make those changes? Thank for your response Junipera

How about a discount on magazine subscriptions?

This response submitted by Junipera on 1/4/05 at 9:29 PM. ( ) 66.66.1.216

or even a minimal (1-2%) discount from suppliers for being a State or National Member? Newsletter(s)? e-mail newsletter?
Regional meetings?

Great Ideas !

This response submitted by Jeff S. on 1/4/05 at 9:48 PM. ( ) 12.152.253.164

These are all great ideas and have been incorporated into some associations already,If you go to any state or national/worlds show you will get great discounts and if they don't have what you need at the show then in some cases you get free shipping,Junipera,if you don't mind me asking what state are you from and have you ever attended a show(convention)?

Here's a reason...

This response submitted by Paul on 1/4/05 at 9:51 PM. ( paulstax2000@yahoo.com ) 69.142.113.76

I got from a local taxidermist through a friend, a guy who competes doesn't have enough work to keep busy. I had to laugh. Its funny that 5 of the full timers around me are not in our association or compete. Some have been in business for 20 years and their latest mounts look like there 20 years old. The way they were taught is the only way they know. Joing your association will only make you a better taxidermist, if you a serious, this is what you strive for, to be the best you can. Before I joined mine in N.J. I though my work was as good as any of the other guys doing this for a living, after my first competition I realized we all sucked. (LOL) After 4 years in our assoc. I can honestly say my customer work is of competition quality, it's what I used last year. Doing more throughout the year besides our convention is always on our minds but to get members to get on board is always on the short end. Last year Bill Yox held a 2 day deer seminar for our members, supplied everything except a cape for less than the cost of half a deer mount job, 7 people took the offer, 2 were out of state. Getting folks to join is the hard part, but once they do their hooked. Also If anyone in N.J.is going to the worlds this year, I'm hauling a trailer. I can take a mount or two extra if you need a way to get it there. Paul Bacskoczky VP G.S.T.A.

Thanks Paul,

This response submitted by Jeff S. on 1/4/05 at 10:06 PM. ( ) 12.152.253.164

I couldn't agree with you more,Like you, I also thought my work was pretty good,but guess what, you can always get better,and what better place to learn for a reasonable price than at a convention that is full of new ideas,and people that want to help you improve(Judges),such as Jody Green,Bill Yox,Harry Whitehead(Cheez),Joe Meder,Rick Carter,I've learned so much from these guys and conventions,I just hate to see taxidermist miss out on such knowledge,It's not just about competing,sure there are some politics involved,but in this day and age tell me where there is not.Anyway Thanks for all the responses.Jeffery Smith U.T.N.Y.

what it comes down to...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/5/05 at 12:09 AM. ( ) 67.138.10.36

I see it as priorities, and the excuses to justify them.

If you are active, you see the positives, and question the logic of those who dont attend.

If you are not active, you only see negatives, and question the egos of those who participate.

Ive met plenty of successful taxidermists who didnt go to shows. Ive never met a successful taxidermist who ridiculed those who went, though. That might be worth re-reading...

For those who feel the need to stay up-to-date, to be involved, to learn, or to just schmooze, join us. If you see the obvious savings by being involved, or feel the need to support your industry, join. If you recognize that yes, youre blowing off a weekend that could be better spent absorbing beer or getting your feet sunburned, join!

If you are one of those who thinks we are just getting further behind on our customer stuff, or are just chasing ribbons, blah blah, do us all a favor...DONT join, youd just be a pain in the ass, lol.

Like I said, I know plenty of successful guys who just havent made a show yet, but never a successful one who criticized others for attending.

As for discounts, the suppliers keep the numbers close for everyone already. They also offer free shipping as well as 10% discounts for orders made at the show. Thats nice right there!

what it comes down to...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/5/05 at 12:09 AM. ( ) 67.138.10.36

I see it as priorities, and the excuses to justify them.

If you are active, you see the positives, and question the logic of those who dont attend.

If you are not active, you only see negatives, and question the egos of those who participate.

Ive met plenty of successful taxidermists who didnt go to shows. Ive never met a successful taxidermist who ridiculed those who went, though. That might be worth re-reading...

For those who feel the need to stay up-to-date, to be involved, to learn, or to just schmooze, join us. If you see the obvious savings by being involved, or feel the need to support your industry, join. If you recognize that yes, youre blowing off a weekend that could be better spent absorbing beer or getting your feet sunburned, join!

If you are one of those who thinks we are just getting further behind on our customer stuff, or are just chasing ribbons, blah blah, do us all a favor...DONT join, youd just be a pain in the ass, lol.

Like I said, I know plenty of successful guys who just havent made a show yet, but never a successful one who criticized others for attending.

As for discounts, the suppliers keep the numbers close for everyone already. They also offer free shipping as well as 10% discounts for orders made at the show. Thats nice right there!

oh boy

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/5/05 at 12:10 AM. ( ) 67.138.10.36

Double posting again, am I pathetic or what?

"What's in it for me"

This response submitted by George on 1/5/05 at 6:43 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

I see that rearing its ugly head here as well. When an organization has to provide YOU with benefits before YOU are interested, then it's likely YOU won't add anything to the organization by being a member. Everybody wants "discounts", but I don't hear of many taxidermists GIVING them.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu