Taxidermy Trivia Contest

Submitted by George on 1/4/05 at 10:49 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.202

If you haven't taken the test below, STOP now and try it.

I have to take Connie to Baltimore tomorrow morning for a medical treatment so I'm calling the contest at 10:50 EST. I've had dozens of stabs at it and none were really earthshattering. Superpig did answer correctly 19 and a half questions, but she sent half a dozen tries as she scrambled through the archives to get the answers. Bruce Norton was the closest on a single try with 17 and a half on his try about 10 minutes into the contest.

So here's the answers, and if you DIDN'T get them, you need to read more and talk less.

1. Who's considered the "Father of Modern Taxidermy"? Carl Ackley

2. What NON-taxidermist deserves the most credit for advancing the taxidermy industry and why? Prof. J. W. Ellwood His correspondence course sold to millions of ascribing young taxidermists.

3. What was arsenic used for? A bug proofer

4. After arsenic was banned, two other chemicals were used until they were similarly banned. Name them. DDT and Endolan U

5. What is the name of the chemical KMN04 and what is it used for? Potassium permanganate is an oxidizing agent use by taxidermists to stain antlers.

6. Before RTV and after plaster, what medium was used to make quick molds? Alginate

7. Before selling Balmex as an injectable preservative, what was it used for? It was invented in World War I as an embalming agent.

8. What person is credited with having marketed the FIRST completely all foam forms? (Use only the initials, please.) D.C.

9. What is one of two "proper" names for a whitetail's "tearduct"? Lacrymal or preorbital

10. What is the best thing to use when texturing the nose on a caribou? Trick question. Nothing, a caribou nose is covered with hair

11. How many other members are there in the taxonomic tree of the Pronghorn antelope? Zero

12. If "albinism" is the complete lack of pigmentation, what is the total saturation of pigmenting called? Melanism

13. Name the one animal incapable of jumping. The elephant

14. What color is a bison's tongue? Various shades of black, blue and purple were accepted.

15. What is the correct name for a "shellcracker" and where does it get it's name from? The redeared sunfish has crusher teeth in the back of it's mouth to crush small snails and mussels.

16. A largemouth bass, really isn't either. What is it? It is a member of the sunfish family.

17. What is the largest fish? The whale shark or the shark whale are both accepted.

18. What is the largest mammal? The Blue Whale

19. Only two animals are known to lay eggs and still feed their young on milk. Name them. The duckbill platypus and the echidna.

20. "Fugu" is considered a delicacy in one country. Name the country, the species it comes from, and why it is of interest. Japan, the puffer fish and it contains a deadly poison that if not removed properly will kill humans

21. Hantivirus has been linked to a single species of animal. Name that animal. The deer mouse

22. A fish's nervous system can be interrupted by severing what feature along its body? The lateral line

23. Aside from talons, what physical feature do raptors have that songbirds don't? It has an "eyebrow) to shade the sun, but credit was given for "forward looking).

24. If you took Northwestern School of Taxidermy, what would the first lesson have concerned? How was it directly tied to the very last lesson in book eight? The first lesson was about mounting birds (pigeons was accepted) and the last was about preserving eggs and nests in habitats.

25. Northwestern School of Taxidermy was from what city? What was their name brand for dry preservative? Omaha, Nebraska and Calorax

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

What other current use does Potassium permanganate

This response submitted by *** on 1/4/05 at 11:39 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Yes it is widely used for another industry?

Most Americans deal with the end product every week.

isn't it

This response submitted by jimsoverns on 1/5/05 at 12:22 AM. ( ironwolf_1@msn.com ) 67.0.14.62

a bacterialcide for fish ponds

Cleans

This response submitted by mr.t on 1/5/05 at 9:29 AM. ( ) 68.61.109.241

It is used to clean and recondition water softeners

George

This response submitted by Evelyn on 1/5/05 at 10:08 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.133

On my very first email I send you I had gotten 19 answers correct. Then you send me on a wild goose chase and the endresult were still 19 1/2 questions right. So there you have it and I have the email to proof it. Bite me. LMAO

Now Evelyn

This response submitted by George on 1/5/05 at 12:40 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.133

We have an adult conversation and within 60 seconds you start talking sex. What kind of deal is THAT? I ain't into whips and chains so the biting is definitely OUT.

Geo

This response submitted by Evelyn on 1/5/05 at 12:55 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

what kind of sex life do you have if you go around biting people? LMAO

Aaahhhh!

This response submitted by Bruce Norton on 1/5/05 at 2:51 PM. ( ) 155.76.241.129

I guess I was fast and pretty good, just like my wife always tells me.

Evelyn, can you spell?

This response submitted by George on 1/5/05 at 4:34 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.133

Look up eunuch. Read that definition and see if one of them does't list me.

and while we're checking our spelling...

This response submitted by J J on 1/5/05 at 9:27 PM. ( sinclairsjj@aol.com ) 205.188.116.133

1.) "Ackley" is spelled A-K-E-L-E-Y.

2.) An old and very missed friend comes to mind when I think of a non-taxidermist who did so much for our industry and who also was the only non-taxidermist who was president of the NTA. He was none other than Onno Van Veen.

4.) Asbestos was also taken off the market as it was used as the binding additive in hide paste that we used to make buckets of in the old days at Jonas Bros.

13.) Pronghorn antelope are not known to jump either.

Sorry I missed out on this trivia quiz though. In any event,I think it's fabulous to talk about the old days. It preserves our past for the future.

John, you're slipping

This response submitted by George on 1/5/05 at 10:10 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

Overactive fingers put the "c" and omitted an "e" in Akeley. A rose by any other name.......

Several people named Onno, but the average 50+ year old taxidermist won't recognize his name any more than Rufus Orndorf (he runs an a/c heating company in South Carolina). No one in taxidermy that age won't know who J.W. Ellwood was.

Asbestos is a naturally occuring mineral and not a chemical.

And I have a very good VHS tape I took in southeastern Montana showing a 14 inch pronghorn buck jumping over a 5 foot high barbed wire fence. Gary Alt made the same statement in a seminar and I showed him just so he could modify his spiel. Elephants absolute cannot clear the ground with all 4 feet at any time.

Gary Alt?

This response submitted by JJ on 1/6/05 at 5:25 PM. ( sinclairsjj@aol.com ) 205.188.116.133

Is that the same biologist who does the black bear study all over the country? No kidding this time,I'd really like to know. Hey,if you say elephants can't jump George,then elephants can't jump. But who was chasing the antelope then?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu