beetle bedding

Submitted by John on 1/23/05 at 5:20 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.202

I currently use "small mammal bedding". I also have a piece of styrofoam for metamorphis. I have read a bunch of different opinions in the archives. Cotton is good, but could have left over insectisides from the field. Cardboard is good, but could have been made with formeldahyde. I want to get a old piece of pure cotton, but have been unable to locate anything like an old mattress or chair. Is there anything available that works well that is more "off the shelf"? Is there a problem with using styrofoam or regular foam that is used for chairs or seats in cars? I thought I read a while back that styrofoam had some negative affects on the beetles for chewing or wearing down their pinchers (sounds weird but I think I did read that)? I need to do something in the next week. The piece of styrofoam is so chewed up with holes it is just disapearing. I'm affraid I don't have a good spot for the larva to go before they turn in to beetles.
Off the subject of bedding, How many beetle tanks do one of the bigger operations run? I only have one small tank.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and Have a Good Day! John

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

beetle bedding

This response submitted by Howard Whitten on 1/24/05 at 10:54 AM. ( HWhitten@msad48.org ) 169.244.70.148

We use Bran. Go to a feed store and get it by the 50lb/100lb bag.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu