Please help: What do I use to fill small cracks on an antler

Submitted by Tricia on 1/24/05 at 9:28 AM. ( ) 65.6.8.109

I have a really nice set of antlers - blacktail, but they are old and have some small cracks..I am trying to restore then for my grandfather. Can anyone help?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

With a small crack filler

This response submitted by cur on 1/24/05 at 9:39 AM. ( ) 4.226.57.225

I use Magic-Sculpt, but some folks use Apoxie Sculpt or Apoxie Clay for the purpose. Both are D Shore 80-90 durometer, two-component, kneadable materials that function like putty to fill larger cracks and fissures. Use a small paddle or spoon type wax tool to apply. If the fissures are small, latex caulk can be used to fill the cracks. Latex Caulk is available in tan, black and white and can be mixed like oil paints to match the antler color, and then applied to age fissures on the surface. Just blade on with the paddle tool, and then scree off the excess. If you mix the colors well, the fix will be invisible. You can also add tube or liquid acrylic paint to the caulk to pigment.

Thanks - Where can I purchase these items?

This response submitted by Tricia on 1/24/05 at 9:42 AM. ( ) 65.6.8.109

Could you tell me where I might purchase one of these products? Thanks!

WASCO

This response submitted by GET IT on 1/24/05 at 9:47 AM. ( THere ) 205.188.116.134

You can get either at any supplier I would recomend WASCO since they host this site

Tricia, you might check the archives here

This response submitted by George on 1/24/05 at 12:06 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.134

Click the orange SEARCH icon to the left and then type in "restoring old antlers". There are many options available there and some supplies are closer than you think.

Tricia

This response submitted by Jim B on 1/24/05 at 12:30 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

The best product I have found and much easier to use than the epoxies is a latex wood filler.Elmers,Red Devil and Zar are some brands.The one I am using now is Zar Wood Patch(has to say latex).Get it at any hardware store.Wipe on with a finger,wipe off with a damp sponge.Dries in minutes,made to accept paints and stains.Non-toxic,cleans up with water.It doesn't work well for cracks wider than 1/16" or so,but for weather cracked antlers there is nothing faster or easier.It also sands very well.

Thanks!

This response submitted by Tricia on 1/24/05 at 2:17 PM. ( ) 65.6.34.28

Thanks everyone. I'll try some of these ideas and let you know how it turns out! Tricia

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu